Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

False Widow in da house

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I never understood the fear of spiders. They are so small and easy to squash.

You'd think they had armour plating and heat seeking missiles given some people's fear and reaction to them.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
My trainer got bitten by one.....arm swelled up very badly and needed hospital treatment. They're officially little barstewards

I've been bitten about half a dozen times by them, first time was quite odd and my arm was quite ****ed up for a few weeks. We ended up taking some samples up to the Booth Museum where the bloke told me to start with that there were definitely NO false widows in newhaven at all, until he saw that 6 out of the 8 we'd collected were in fact false widows.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I've been bitten about half a dozen times by them, first time was quite odd and my arm was quite ****ed up for a few weeks. We ended up taking some samples up to the Booth Museum where the bloke told me to start with that there were definitely NO false widows in newhaven at all, until he saw that 6 out of the 8 we'd collected were in fact false widows.

There are definitely false widows in Newhaven. My neighbour is a gardener and got bitten on the face whilst pruning in someone's garden. He had a huge lump on his cheekbone, and had to be treated at the hospital.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

Stick to collecting Albion shirts, not spiders :ohmy:

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
There are definitely false widows in Newhaven. My neighbour is a gardener and got bitten on the face whilst pruning in someone's garden. He had a huge lump on his cheekbone, and had to be treated at the hospital.

I know, they have been here for at least 7 years although I've not been bitten for a while.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Nope

A school has been closed because of a venomous false widow spider, and experts say they are on the increase. But how much of a threat do they really pose?

Sightings of Steatoda nobilis, the false widow spider, are on the rise. It is being cited as Britain's most venomous spider, and it is spreading.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-24636116

We've had two in our house in Arundel and last Summer I was in hospital with a guy who'd had several operations on his hand after being bitten by one of the little blighters!

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
Same genus as our Red Back. Not anywhere near as toxic, but v painful. I find red backs all over, but just use gloves in the garden and kill the buggers when I find them, usually on a tile or under a piece of wood I pick up. Used to be paranoid now not really bothered.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Got bitten by one on my leg last year massive pus filled lump with two perfect little vampire holes at the top. Hurt like buggery.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
This is one I found under our Barbeque a couple of summers ago

IMG_7448171630844.jpeg

forrest

Aug 11, 2010
haywards heath
Got some of the blighters in my old shed. Plus seen some wandering about my garden. I tend to give them a wide berth. Afterall they are feasting on other creatures that will destroy your house and gardens. So I let then be.

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
These critters are AKA Rabbit Hutch Spiders. This is because they live in rabbit hutches and eat the rabbits, sucking their blood out whilst they are still alive and causing other such bunny mayhem. Actually, that was a joke, they live in harmony with said rabbits.

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
It was eating a WASP?! :ohmy:

That's hard

Yep and it weren't no tiny stinger either. Got a photo earlier but it's on the camera at the moment, will post later.

Might also introduce it to the turbo powered Dyson

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
These disgusting things are bloody taking over now!

Was on a bike ride the other week, had got as far as Shoreham from Fiveways when a chunky one appeared next to my hand! I thought this was a one off, but this weekend we moved out of our rented flat to our new house and have been finding them everywhere. Must've found about 8 of them in our flat, and 2 in our house (which probably came with us and were both dispatched immediately). All different sizes, so a family I think!

I've got a massive bite on my back which has been throbbing for two weeks and another two on my hip, all where they've gotten me in the night.

Just hoping that we haven't brought any more with us! They seem to particularly like living in window frames and under windowsills.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

Just hoping that we haven't brought any more with us!
Oh ****.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here