Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Frank De Feat - SACKED

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
No, as we wouldn't have known Hyypia was shìte after 4 games. Hyypia's exit was handled in the correct, dignified manner. Yes, we were poor for half a season, but nobody can accuse the club of not giving the manager a chance.
After four games? OK, maybe not QUITE after four games, but the assertion that Hyypia was shite and had to go appeared on NSC - in spades! - several months before he actually went. Wouldn't be too surprised to find that the first few rumblings of discontent appeared around match four.
Yes, the club (and Hyypia) acted honourably, and it's commendable that they didn't knee-jerk. It wouldn't have been a bad decision to have got shot after four games, though.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yes, the club (and Hyypia) acted honourably, and it's commendable that they didn't knee-jerk. It wouldn't have been a bad decision to have got shot after four games, though.
I still don't agree, it would have been a terrible decision. Put simply, who is going to go to Palace thinking about the long term? No-one. Let's face it, Hodgson is only going there because he is in last chance solution with regard to the Premier League. Nobody else would consider him.

That is what happens when you have an idiot in charge of your football club, who panics at the first whiff of trouble.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
After four games? OK, maybe not QUITE after four games, but the assertion that Hyypia was shite and had to go appeared on NSC - in spades! - several months before he actually went. Wouldn't be too surprised to find that the first few rumblings of discontent appeared around match four.

It still frightens me that Hyypia resigned and wasn't sacked. He slung his hook just in the nick of time - another couple of games under him and Hughton might not have been able to salvage us that season. Could've set us back years.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Decisions can only be made with the information you have at the time, so yes, I think it would have been a bad decision.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Joke summer from Parish and the board,FDB was probably the wrong choice but to only give him 4 games is a disgrace. To start the season with only 1 fit center forward but 7 centre backs at the club is moronic.

Not sure what to make of Woy. :facepalm:

Oh take the piss out of a poor old man with a speech impediment. How disgusting.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I still don't agree, it would have been a terrible decision. Put simply, who is going to go to Palace thinking about the long term? No-one. Let's face it, Hodgson is only going there because he is in last chance solution with regard to the Premier League. Nobody else would consider him.
Whichever - the important thing is that it worked out fine for us. The difference between us and Palarse, though, is that they've got form for sacking, which automatically makes them a less attractive prospect for a manager. Although tbh out of work managers have got form for grabbing any job that's going!

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi

Yes, it would. You need to have the courage of your convictions. When you employ someone, you give them a chance to settle, you offer them support and advice. Hyppia was not right for us but if we had sacked him after four games, do you think we would have got a manager if Hughton's caliber. Hyppia did the right thing but in no way did it reflect badly on the club.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I effing love threads like this on NSC.

4 matches to change a playing style then replaced by a man who has "managed" a few clubs out of the premeir league. Well if Hodgson is the undertaker hes shown up at a right graveyard for logical chairmen.

It could be argued that he was only given three games. I watched a lot of the Burnley game and Palace were genuinely unlucky. And it wasn't De Boer who mishit the backpass or missed the open goal. Parrish either didn't watch it, knows **** all about football and can't recognise an improved performance when he sees it, or else he'd already made up his mind.

Either way, yeah, it's all good fun! What a joke club.

Whoever they appoint will improve them though as they simply can't go through a whole season without winning a game or even scoring a goal.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Whichever - the important thing is that it worked out fine for us. The difference between us and Palarse, though, is that they've got form for sacking, which automatically makes them a less attractive prospect for a manager. Although tbh out of work managers have got form for grabbing any job that's going!

You say it makes them a less attractive prospect - FdB has just minced off with £5,000,000 for 2 months work !

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yes, it would. You need to have the courage of your convictions. When you employ someone, you give them a chance to settle, you offer them support and advice. Hyppia was not right for us but if we had sacked him after four games, do you think we would have got a manager if Hughton's caliber. Hyppia did the right thing but in no way did it reflect badly on the club.
Hughton was unemployed and looking for work at the time.......and - somebody more ITK than me can confirm or rubbish this - hadn't Hughton applied at the same time as we appointed Hyypia?

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
You say it makes them a less attractive prospect - FdB has just minced off with £5,000,000 for 2 months work !
Which is probably what Roy is thinking. He's hardly going to be there for years "building a legacy" as the cliche goes. He's 70 years old so I'm sure the prospect of a few months work for a few million quid is very attractive!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I've put my CV in.

Admittedly it's heavy on hobbies and interests, and light on relevant experience, but I think I'm in with a shout.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
They should have employed me then - I'd have settled for half that!

:lolol:

I was literally chuckling as I typed that. FIVE MILLION QUID !!!! for a few weeks work. CPFC2010, truly the gift that keeps on giving. So not only are they paying off a bloke who's ink had barely dried on the 3 year deal they'd just thrown at him, they're NOW going to have to go topping up dear old Roys pension as well. And he won't come cheap.

Lovely stuff.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Which is probably what Roy is thinking. He's hardly going to be there for years "building a legacy" as the cliche goes. He's 70 years old so I'm sure the prospect of a few months work for a few million quid is very attractive!

Yep, absolutely just topping up his pension. No risk in it for him - his reputation is pretty low anyway, and he won't want another job after it so even if he royally messes it up it won't matter much (to him). Few million quid in the bank before he settles into his comfy chair and slippers.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
There once was a Dutchman called Frank
Whom Brighton fans would like to thank.
He made a GREAT start.
Shame their ways had to part.
Looks like Hodgson will next walk the plank
:)

And with apologies to AA Milne

They're changing guard down at the Palace
Frankie de B has been sacked by the Parish