Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] A27 improvements: here we go again

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
seeing as this seems to be quite an emotive subject i'm presuming that you'll all be attending the up coming council meetings where these proposals will be ratified......is that not the English way , it is a democracy after all , isn't it...???

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Consultations start today on the proposed changes to the A27 between Worthing and Lancing which, in summary, seem to be alterations to 6 junctions at a cost of £69m:

Durrington Hill/Salvington Hill, Worthing – Convert priority junctions into a traffic signal-controlled junction. Durrington Hill would be widened to accommodate a two-lane approach

Offington roundabout, Worthing – Convert the roundabout into a crossraod, controlled by traffic signals. Approaches will be widened along with some exits to form new slip roads and lanes

Grove Lodge, Worthing – Widening approaches and circulation lanes to create two lanes of traffic through the junction

Lyons Farm, Worthing – Widening to accommodate more lanes. New turning arrangements at both junctions

Busticle Lane/Halewick Lane, Sompting – A new junction to the west of the current junction for access to and from Halewick Lane

Manor roundabout, Lancing – Widen existing approaches and convert the roundabout to a signal-controlled junction for traffic turning from Manor Road onto the A27. Traffic coming from the Brighton direction would not be able to make U-turns

Quite a bit more here: http://www.worthingherald.co.uk/new...ion-begins-with-just-one-69m-option-1-8061846

Re that last bit about the Lancing Manor roundabout and traffic coming from Brighton not doing u turns..so u come from say Brighton and pop into ikea and want to go back ..hmmmm

With all the extra traffic that's going to be generated I see nothing that will make one iota of a difference

Last edited:

D

Deleted member 22389

Too many people, and too many cars, more housing all over East and West Sussex, they fix one problem it comes back all over again. The roads will never get better, we are just too over populated.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Its got to be a bypass or nothing. If the government can't fund it then wait and save this money until they can add some more to it rather than waste it on stupid pointless 'upgrades'.
It has always required a bypass... but of course the very same people who complain about congestion and pollution... will also resist a 'southwick' style bypass across the downs on environmental grounds etc etc...

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Too many people, and too many cars, more housing all over East and West Sussex, they fix one problem it comes back all over again. The roads will never get better, we are just too over populated.
Increasing population,... most of it through open border policy.... some through living longer.... but it will never be resolved as long as it takes 10 years to agree every plan, which is immediately obsolete and inadequate.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Manor roundabout, Lancing – Widen existing approaches and convert the roundabout to a signal-controlled junction for traffic turning from Manor Road onto the A27. Traffic coming from the Brighton direction would not be able to make U-turns

So I'm going to go to a consultation and ask the following:
I live in Manor Close, and can ONLY turn left onto the 27, just before the roundabout. How do I get to Brighton now then, without having to go left at Grinstead Lane and all the way down to the coast?

The_NitramJohn

Feb 18, 2012
Manor roundabout, Lancing –
I live in Manor Close, and can ONLY turn left onto the 27, just before the roundabout. How do I get to Brighton now then, without having to go left at Grinstead Lane and all the way down to the coast?

Live in Manor Way & have exactly the same issue!
Ridiculous, not to include a way for us to get onto the A27 eastbound [emoji35]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
Consultations start today on the proposed changes to the A27 between Worthing and Lancing which, in summary, seem to be alterations to 6 junctions at a cost of £69m:

Durrington Hill/Salvington Hill, Worthing – Convert priority junctions into a traffic signal-controlled junction. Durrington Hill would be widened to accommodate a two-lane approach

Offington roundabout, Worthing – Convert the roundabout into a crossraod, controlled by traffic signals. Approaches will be widened along with some exits to form new slip roads and lanes

Grove Lodge, Worthing – Widening approaches and circulation lanes to create two lanes of traffic through the junction

Lyons Farm, Worthing – Widening to accommodate more lanes. New turning arrangements at both junctions

Busticle Lane/Halewick Lane, Sompting – A new junction to the west of the current junction for access to and from Halewick Lane

Quite a bit more here: http://www.worthingherald.co.uk/new...ion-begins-with-just-one-69m-option-1-8061846

How to save millions.
1. Durrington Hill/Salvington Hill. Bloody stupid dangerous junction where the problem is caused by short-cutters. Solution is no right turn from either junction. Coming down Salvington? turn left and use the roundabout. (you probably cut over bost hill anyway). Coming up Durrington? Use Ivydore which is a safer juctions but needs lights..
2. Offington roundabout. Nothing wrong with the roundabout. Any congestion is caused by the stupid lights at the Airport.
3. Grove Lodge. Solution is Bridges and/or subways for the Students. Approaching from the east by the vets, the left lane should be left only leaving one lane to safely go round the roundabout.
4. Lyons Farm. Sort the Airport lights.. Traffic heading west will always have a pinchpoint somewhere on the stretch between Lyons and Ivydore. Just live with it.
5. Busticle Lane. . Is there anything wrong with the existing layout?
6. Manor Roundabout. Madness. Just make the Airport lights no right turn. Take away the lights by the Leisure Centre, buy the derelect property on the roundabout and put a footbridge in to cross over the A27.
Sorted for a lot less than proposed. I am in the wrong job.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Its got to be a bypass or nothing. If the government can't fund it then wait and save this money until they can add some more to it rather than waste it on stupid pointless 'upgrades'.

In the 80's residents and environmentalists spent years in battles over the various proposed bypass routes. Houses were bought up and boarded up, eventually the impasse led to nothing.

I'd prefer a solution largely within the current urban sprawl. A huge scheme through the South Downs will never happen - the Brighton, Winchester and Newbury bypasses were the last mega cost bypasses over chalk down land.

It's all talk anyway. The mooted improvements will only help a little and for how long?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

So I'm going to go to a consultation and ask the following:

It's what I mentioned in my earlier post ..is this to do with the proposed development IKEA homes etc..are they really expecting people to do what u propose..if so it's just going to create problems elsewhere...they've probably never tried to get across the Norfolk Bridge and through Shoreham High St!

Last edited:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
After Brexit we'll need a superhighway from Dover to Plymouth just to cater for the backed-up lorries awaiting Customs checks and the flood of holidaymakers who can't afford the EU visa fees.

They wouldn't f**k about like this in Germany, they'd just build it.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
What do you expect from a bunch of monkeys sitting at their desks all day??

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I'm surprised one of the more moronic, wilfully ignorant posters hasn't been on yet saying that we don't need to improve the A27 and that all the congestion can be solved simply by adding bus and cycle lanes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here