Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Would appreciate some advice on the above ASAP as there are only 30. Says they're ready for dispatch, is there a catch?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
What do you think of this then [MENTION=12917]Bedsex[/MENTION]? http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FBPXPC6700/planet-x-pro-carbon-6700-shimano-ultegra

It does appear to be hell of a lot of bike for that money. The reason for the price, and it doesn't lesson the quality of the bike, is that it might be an older model at the end of it's line. Not sure it was introduced in 2010? Don't know really, but that might be why it's a bargain, worth doing some searching round the net.

It might actually be this bike review - http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/road/product/review-planet-x-sl-pro-carbon-10-36958/ and is now called the 6700, as shimano also now have Ultegra 6800...

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
It does appear to be hell of a lot of bike for that money. The reason for the price, and it doesn't lesson the quality of the bike, is that it might be an older model at the end of it's line. Not sure it was introduced in 2010? Don't know really, but that might be why it's a bargain, worth doing some searching round the net.

It might actually be this bike review - http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/road/product/review-planet-x-sl-pro-carbon-10-36958/ and is now called the 6700, as shimano also now have Ultegra 6800...
Presumably that doesn't make a huge difference though. It seems absolutely bargainous.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I wonder if Braislford is starting to question whether Richie Porte really is a realistic plan B?

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
Presumably that doesn't make a huge difference though. It seems absolutely bargainous.

As Bold as pointed out this is using the Ultegra 6700 groupset, which is the old version and is 10 speed. The new 6800 version is 11 speed.

Typically the extra cog is in the middle of the cassette giving a slightly smaller gap between the ratios, rather than giving you a smaller cog to go faster or a larger cog for easier climbing.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Oh, it's Nibali's race. Can't see him losing it, can anyone? Surely he's showing it is his year?

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Think I'm going to have to go for it anyway. Now just to choose between large and x large as I'm 6'1" :-/

Yeah, tough one but I would say a large which according to their website is 5-10" - 6'2" – you've got more scope for your own adjustments then with seat post and stem heights then. You're at the very bottom of the guide limit for the XL. Better to have the frame slightly small I've always thought than too big.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Yeah, tough one but I would say a large which according to their website is 5-10" - 6'2" – you've got more scope for your own adjustments then with seat post and stem heights then. You're at the very bottom of the guide limit for the XL. Better to have the frame slightly small I've always thought than too big.

That's what I thought, though discussed with one of my friends and he reckons XL. My legs are relatively short and my Torso quite long.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
That's what I thought, though discussed with one of my friends and he reckons XL. My legs are relatively short and my Torso quite long.

The top tube length of the XL is only 20mm longer than the L. Check out the frame size guide on the website as it has all the dims of the geometry. I think there is quite a bit of difference in the height dims between the L and XL, but not a lot in the reach and lengths.

Going to be a personal thing for you, but as a 6 footer myself with 2 road bikes, I prefer my bike with slightly less reach to be honest as it's more comfortable. Tough call given you can't try both out.

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
Finally embracing technology Garmin 200 arrived in post today, interesting piece of kit, have joined the Strava Geeks thankyou to [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] and all, should bring the rides to life :)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION] I'm going to smack the back of your legs in a minute.

I've been out for a lovely spin this afternoon and am now going to settle down to watch today's race.

NO TOUR CHAT HERE ggrrrrr

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
[MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION] I'm going to smack the back of your legs in a minute.

I've been out for a lovely spin this afternoon and am now going to settle down to watch today's race.

NO TOUR CHAT HERE ggrrrrr

Sorry sorry sorry. I got my threads mixed up and before I knew it...

Profuse apologies.

Don't worry, my comments don't actually give too much away about what actually happens.

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
What do you think of this then [MENTION=12917]Bedsex[/MENTION]? http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FBPXPC6700/planet-x-pro-carbon-6700-shimano-ultegra

Looks great, as others have said, the 6700 Ultegra group set is an older iteration and 10 speed compared to 11 for the 6800. I also notice that it's not full Ultegra as it has FSA gossamer chainset, which I don't know much about.

I'm just about to stick the pedals on mine and give it a go for the first time. It did arrive at midday and I have been working from home but I've been surprisingly conscientious!

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
We got here Tuesday night. Rode in 39 degrees on Wednesday and Thursday including the Col de Marie Blanque from Escot, which has the toughest final 4 kilometres of any climb I've ever done.

I'm of the same thought and would prefer it warm (although 39 in the shade was pretty extreme). I'm dreading the cold temperatures descending the Tourmalet now though!

Off to register at the village in a bit.
Have a good trip out and good luck with the ride...

Good luck to you too! Mad thunderstorms here in Albion these last couple of days. It had better not be like that!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here