Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FA to trial Sin bins next season

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm trying to think of the last big rules upheaval that's been bought into football, beyond tinkering with off-side.

I reckon it's not allowing the goalie to pick up a back pass.
I seem to remember at the time, 'we' hated this Johnny Foreigner rule change, because the last time 'our' game needed was speeding up.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
It's a shocking idea. Because of the linear format of Rugby, losing a player for ten minutes is a HUGE deal. 15 v 14 Rugby is often very exciting as all 29 scrap around on the goal line.

In football, it's extremely easy to survive 10 minutes whilst someone is off the pitch. Waste a bit of time, feign an injury, have a pushing match, hoof the ball out of the stadium and so on. The clock continues to run.
"Well, then why don't we stop the clock when it goes out of play to compensate?"
Want to break up and ruin the game we enjoy? Then implement this.

Disagree. The game is 90 minutes. If the clock was stopped everytime the ball went out of play or kicked over the stand then the point of doing that would disappear (ie the deliberate action of doing that)! There wouldn't be any further delay in the game other than the fact that we would see 90 minutes of football rather than about 70!

Last edited:

I don't think they should be interviewed personally, easy to twist words.

However they should realise details on the Monday of how they came to the decision.

Actually i would LOVE the american football idea of miking the ref where he explains to the whole world his decision for the booking but maybe that deserves its own thread!

Disagree. The game is 90 minutes. If the clock was stopped everytime the ball went out of play or kicked over the stand then the point of doing that would disappear (ie the deliberate action of doing that)! There wouldn't be any further delay in the game other than the fact that we would see 90 minutes of football rather than about 70!

(excuse drifting off my own thread topic but since u raised the point) ..But then matches would need to start an hour earlier as a 90 minute match could actually take over 2 hours easily! Lets face it the "the old days" extra time was rarely given for much more than a prolonged injury timeout. Now its very common to have 5+ mins each half. Start adding extra time for corners and throws etc and boy some matches could take even more than an hour per half!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
(excuse drifting off my own thread topic but since u raised the point) ..But then matches would need to start an hour earlier as a 90 minute match could actually take over 2 hours easily! Lets face it the "the old days" extra time was rarely given for much more than a prolonged injury timeout. Now its very common to have 5+ mins each half. Start adding extra time for corners and throws etc and boy some matches could take even more than an hour per half!

May be but that would be the norm. You would completely eliminate time wasting. It's not like it would be an NFL game where breaks go on for ages and you have time outs and the whole saga for a 60 minute game can last over three hours! In the good old days, I don't recall keepers taking ages to take a goal kick or players near a throw in leaving it for the guy on the furthest side of the pitch or that the late substitute is the player furthest from the dugouts!

In reality I suspect the 90 minute game, including interval, would take about 2 hours.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Actually i would LOVE the american football idea of miking the ref where he explains to the whole world his decision for the booking but maybe that deserves its own thread!

That, or they should face the cameras as they come off the pitch just as players and managers are contractually obliged to do. However, I believe PGMOL don't want them to. They should be accountable. If refereeing was improved then the game would be improved.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
What a Pansy Potter game it has turned into played in multicoloured carpet slippers . Man's game...... not any more . Yellow cards for naff all , too many red cards a season . Fans deprived of 11 v 11 . So many bans . Please revert to Chelsea v Leeds 1970 lovely !!!

Last edited:

Count Otto Black

Jul 22, 2015
To prevent undue time-wasting, the 10 minutes should make allowance for any time wasted by the team who is a man down.

What will happen when a goalkeeper is booked?

Outfield player in goal? Substitution (if one still available)?

I would also propose that anyone yellowed after 80 mins is off for the rest of the game including any added time.

in ice hockey if a keeper gets a sin bin then a designted outfield player does it for him, so imagine that will be the case

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Or the player could just not swear at the ref and they won't get sin binned?

It's acting as a deterrent, not a gimmick.

I'd be interested to see how much it cracks down on it at that level when they inevitably do the analysis at the end of the trial.

The idea is for dissent, so swearing at the ref wouldn't be included. That's a red card offence - when acted upon!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here