Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Aye Aye Ashley

Jan 10, 2014
pretty disappointing MotD punditry from both Shearer and Savage, both calling it a poor tackle by Barnes. having said in the programme the ref had a howler, which he did for the hand ball and Costa penalty, shame they couldnt see he gets this one spot on.

Both ex Ba stard players, so it's to be expected.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
The missus was distinctly unimpressed as I repeatedly shouted "it's not a tackle!" at the TV.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Poor punditry, ref got it spot on, if MOTD had balls they'd apologise to Barnes next week. Saying it's a career threatening tackle is out of order. I also loved Matic making an instant recovery after the "horror tackle".

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Ashley Barnes is a massive t w a t

I'm glad I no longer have to watch him pre-madonna'ing round the pitch

He knew exactly what he had done as he walked away & as usual went down like he had been shot

If you were watching him pre-Madonna he must have been incredibly young.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Evil looking challenge, whether intentional or not. No wonder Matic reacted like he did.
You haven't watched the full clip have you. It wasn't a challenge!

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Can't believe how people are getting so up in arms, nothing about Barnes' movement suggests malice or being out of control.

mooey

Mar 30, 2012
You know if he d been playing for us the 1st tackle on ivanovic would have been red fair play to ash for getting away with it.lol can t stand Chelsea glad to see them lose more points come on city

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
I hope the FA doesn't cave into the idiotic pundits and dish out a ban to Ash.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Just watched it.

It was nasty, but it wasn't a tackle.

Barnes gets to the ball first to pass it to a player, Matic intercepts and Barnes is foot follows through onto Matic's upper ankle. All in the blink of an eye. I'm not sure where Barnes was supposed to have put his foot to avoid a collision.

It was 50/50. The worst thing was that Barnes trotted off as if nothing had happened. Perhaps because he thought that if he had shown empathy with Matic then the ref would have put him in the book.

Either way, nothing had happened. After all, Matic sprung up and sprinted 5 yards to push Barnes in the back.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
pretty disappointing MotD punditry from both Shearer and Savage, both calling it a poor tackle by Barnes. having said in the programme the ref had a howler, which he did for the hand ball and Costa penalty, shame they couldnt see he gets this one spot on.

They were terrible and reminded me why i hardly ever watch MOTD.

To claim that the ball to hand incident by the Burnley player which wasn't on target was a penalty and then the slow, looping ball dropping on the arm of a Chelsea player wasn't just shows their big team bias. The Burnley player couldn't do anything about it (ball to hand, not denying a goal = no penalty) whereas the Chelsea player had a lot of time to make sure that he didn't handball it but failed. To me the Burnley shout was a penalty and the Chelsea one wasn't, the complete opposite to how the pundits saw it.

I wish that they would ensure the pundits were up to date with the rules of football, so that their comments were accurate, rather than continually questioning the ref and making the viewing public think the ref's are getting it wrong when in fact they are spot on in their rulings. How doesa that help our refs when others may make the right decisions lower down the football pyramid, but because those watching see it on match of the day and the pundits saying the ref is wrong, they give the ref undeserved abuse, which can make refs quit and affect the grass roots of the game.

I thought Costa went down extremely easily looking for a penalty, but depressingly i guess thats modern football for you and they can be given. Far too much conning of the ref in the modern game for my liking but so called skillful players who don't want to show their skill off to the spectators but rather try to cheat (including the fans) - I guess there is too much money in the game now and very point is worth millions so if cheating helps secure that extra cash, why wouldn't clubs want their players to cheat..

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Why are the pundits idiots? Because they have a different view to you?

So called experts who don't keep up with the changes in the rules of football that the refs have to follow and end up undermining the refs when the pundits opinions are wrong, like the 2 penalty shouts in the 2 penalty shouts in the Chelsea - Burnely game.

They influence supporters with inaccurate comemnt and can lead to abuse to matchday officials when the officials are spot on and at all levels of the game. No wonder it's hard to find, keep and develop refs and why they get so much abuse, leading many to quit.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
So called experts who don't keep up with the changes in the rules of football that the refs have to follow and end up undermining the refs when the pundits opinions are wrong, like the 2 penalty shouts in the 2 penalty shouts in the Chelsea - Burnely game.

They influence supporters with inaccurate comemnt and can lead to abuse to matchday officials when the officials are spot on and at all levels of the game. No wonder it's hard to find, keep and develop refs and why they get so much abuse, leading many to quit.

Perhaps give the bbc a call and offer your services as a pundit. Clearly you have more knowledge than the current ones. After all, they only played the game at the top level, eat, sleep and breathe football.

I think you'd stand a good chance of getting in........

MORTY

Jan 9, 2007
Basingstoke
I thought Barnes first challenge in the first half was a lot worse - the one when he led with his knee. Booking for me. I Didn't think the Matic challenge was a foul at all, although yu get the feeling Ashley had probably been niggling at them for most of the game. Probably aded to Matic's reaction.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here