Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Official England are actually playing a qualifying game live on TV thread.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Maximum points in qualifying
Unbeaten since the World Cup
After years of moans about playing the same old players playing, lots of youngsters coming through

You can't force people to like watching England, each to their own I guess, but I don't quite get why people seem to like wearing their disdain of England like a badge of honour, like they're proud of not giving a shit. Oh well.

Well said. It's pathetic!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
How do we still have maximum points?

Well mainly because we've been considerably better than every team we've played, in every game we've played and deserve to win every single one...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
England have survived the group of death.

The Germans, Italians, Spanish ect will be quaking in their boots facing Henderson, Townsend and Jones next summer.

:lolol:

3-2 against Slovenia sends a clear message to every nation!

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
It's balancing out the overratedness. Today he missed some absolute sitters, another player scored two amazing goals, yet he is the one on the headlines. He is NOT world class, he just scores quite a lot of goals. And a lot of those 48 goals are meaningless. How many scored in an international tournament? How many meaningful ones?
Rooney has 5 in Finals same as the great Bobby Charlton.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
England have survived the group of death.

The Germans, Italians, Spanish ect will be quaking in their boots facing Henderson, Townsend and Jones next summer.

Those are not very good examples. I think the Germans, Italians and Spanish will be more concerned about securing their own qualification before worrying about England.

Germany are second, behind Poland, and only a point clear of SCOTLAND.

Italy are struggling. Their last five qualifiers have been single goal victories over the mighty Ajerbaijan and Malta, followed by draws against Croatia, Bulgaria then Croatia again.

Spain limped to a 1-0 win over mighty Belarus last night, and are three points behind SLOVAKIA who they lost to.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
It's balancing out the overratedness. Today he missed some absolute sitters, another player scored two amazing goals, yet he is the one on the headlines. He is NOT world class, he just scores quite a lot of goals. And a lot of those 48 goals are meaningless. How many scored in an international tournament? How many meaningful ones?

You're right - unlike Charlton, Lineker etc. whose goals were all very important, Rooney's have been mostly meaningless.

Perhaps we should suggest to the FA that they review all his goals and strike from the record all those that were scored against 'lesser' nations, in friendlies, were tap-ins or were in games we lost.

And, in future friendlies, we should only count goals that are scored by anyone other than Rooney. So if we play Gibraltar and win 8-1 with Rooney scoring all 8 of them, the real result will be a 1-0 victory for Gibraltar.

You'd be happy then!

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
You're right - unlike Charlton, Lineker etc. whose goals were all very important, Rooney's have been mostly meaningless.

Perhaps we should suggest to the FA that they review all his goals and strike from the record all those that were scored against 'lesser' nations, in friendlies, were tap-ins or were in games we lost.

And, in future friendlies, we should only count goals that are scored by anyone other than Rooney. So if we play Gibraltar and win 8-1 with Rooney scoring all 8 of them, the real result will be a 1-0 victory for Gibraltar.

You'd be happy then!

Or people could stop calling him world class at every opportunity, and other nonsense like "Hodgeson needs to be building a squad around Rooney".

My point is "stats are misleading". Your response seems to be "let's change the rules of football then". How does that work?!

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I enjoyed that game yesterday. We played in a positive manner and showed some much needed character in responding to the two goals Slovenia scored. Also that second goal was sweeeeeeeeet!

The defence is obviously worrying but I find this current incarnation of the team to be one of the most watchable in many years.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Maximum points in qualifying
Unbeaten since the World Cup
After years of moans about playing the same old players playing, lots of youngsters coming through

You can't force people to like watching England, each to their own I guess, but I don't quite get why people seem to like wearing their disdain of England like a badge of honour, like they're proud of not giving a shit. Oh well.

Spot on post. I really don't see anything to moan about with he current england set up.

We are playing far better than we have for some time, with young players who will get better.

Only concern is the defence, but our attacking options are looking better than they have done for some time now.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
Or people could stop calling him world class at every opportunity, and other nonsense like "Hodgeson needs to be building a squad around Rooney".

My point is "stats are misleading". Your response seems to be "let's change the rules of football then". How does that work?!

You appear to have missed the point completely.

I don't think that Rooney is world class and I don't think that we should be building a team around him ... and I don't recall anyone recently saying those things.

I just thought that your desperate attempts to belittle his scoring record were pathetic, so I came up with an equally silly response.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Spot on post. I really don't see anything to moan about with he current england set up.

We are playing far better than we have for some time, with young players who will get better.

Only concern is the defence, but our attacking options are looking better than they have done for some time now.

We said the exact same thing before the world cup. Doing well in qualifiers does not mean "all is well". Cahill's hesitation last night was very ominous, our back 4 will be very exposed to bigger threats than Slovenia.

You appear to have missed the point completely.

I don't think that Rooney is world class and I don't think that we should be building a team around him ... and I don't recall anyone recently saying those things.

I just thought that your desperate attempts to belittle his scoring record were pathetic, so I came up with an equally silly response.

I didn't say YOU said those things, but lots of people do.

You can call it pathetic but it's true.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
A good performance, I thought we played well even in the first half, and if Sterling and Rooney had taken their chances we would have been out of sight by half time.

Two great strikes from Wiltshire, and his goals aside, I thought he was our stand out player last night by far.

It's the back four that concerns me. From those selected last night, I would only pick Cahill. The rest simply aren't good enough, although Gibbs could be if he learnt that defending is the most important part of being a left back, and attacking is secondary. Clyne has potential to be good enough, I'd give him a run of games - Jones is never going to be a full back, he's about forth choice CB, nothing else.

Look at Terry's season, outstanding, and although he's a **** I'd think about giving him a call.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Do you think they might do well though? If you look at the requirements for success England seem to be well short.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
Discussing same in pub. Certainly the best since Shearer scored England's 3rd in the 4-1 drubbing of the Netherlands in Euro '96

Owen V Argentina?

Great result, but defend like that against a top side and we're done for. Really need Stones and Chambers to come on leaps and bounds next season and Phil Jones to retire from international football.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here