Palace make £7m loss in 2016

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
:ffsparr:

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
So a rough working gives you an average salary per employee of £415k pa. Not bad. Up 14% year on year.

121 players, managers, and coaches sounds like an awful lot.
I thought so but they have four squads (first, development, academy and ladies) plus a 20 strong management, coaching, and fitness team. In the same year Chelsea INCREASED their staff by over 100.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
What are operating expenses on player trading?

Amortisation (£18m) and impairment (£2m) of player registrations. If they sign a player for (say) £10m on a four year contract then each year 1/4 of the transfer fee is charged as an expense to the profit and loss account.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I'm surprised that someone of el presidente's expertise in theses matters thinks that palace lost £7m when the figures he attached clearly show the loss to actually be £5.6m.

Rounding the loss up by £1.4m is a tad cheeky. :)

As any expert knows, it is common practice to discuss pre-tax profits and losses, which is where the difference of £1.4 million arises. The vagaries of the tax system create inconsistencies in the reported figures.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
So over nearly 4 seasons the investment in Selhurst from nearly £3-400m quid of income is £105K in cladding, improved floodlights, some bits and bobs for media gantrys etc.
Anything else ?

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
As any expert knows, it is common practice to discuss pre-tax profits and losses, which is where the difference of £1.4 million arises. The vagaries of the tax system create inconsistencies in the reported figures.

Like I said, you are an acknowledged expert in this field.

Interesting that our losses were lower after tax.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Like I said, you are an acknowledged expert in this field.

Interesting that our losses were lower after tax.

You are effectively getting a tax break which can be carried forward against future profits.

In the 2016/17 accounts you will also have the benefit of about £2.5m from a Mr T Pulis, and, setting aside rivalries, I'm delighted that you won that case. I do have a very interesting tale about the said gentleman from his time at Gillingham, but I'm not willing to go to court over it...

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
And this was only up until June last year, so will be very interested to see next year's figures what with Benteke etc salaries and Pardew pay-off etc.

Yes and in the summer when Big Sam spends a shitload on mercenaries.

When they get relegated in a season or two they're going to be ****ed!

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I do have a very interesting tale about the said gentleman from his time at Gillingham, but I'm not willing to go to court over it...
The web of football managers and their finances is tangled. I was shocked by an allegation made about Mark McGhee when at Brighton but, as you say, best not make public here or elsewhere.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Amortisation (£18m) and impairment (£2m) of player registrations. If they sign a player for (say) £10m on a four year contract then each year 1/4 of the transfer fee is charged as an expense to the profit and loss account.

Thanks. So in the case of players sold is the profit the gross amount receivable or the transfer net of the unamortised player value?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The web of football managers and their finances is tangled. I was shocked by an allegation made about Mark McGhee when at Brighton but, as you say, best not make public here or elsewhere.

It's true, he did drink pints of whisky, Mark McGhee, Mark McGhee.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Thanks. So in the case of players sold is the profit the gross amount receivable or the transfer net of the unamortised player value?

It's proceeds less book value of the registration.

Example: Sign a player for £20m on a four year contract, and sell him at end of year two for £14 million.

Gain in accounts is £14m less (20 x 2/4) = £4 million profit, even though it seems to be a loss of £6 million to fans.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Pompey Neanderthals please.

They seem to run a reasonably tight ship and broke even in the last year for which I can find records. There's no one to lend them money at present, as they are a community club, so cannot spend beyond their means any more...unless the ex head of Disney, Michael Eisner, decides to pursue his interest.

Pompey 2016 PL.JPG

Despite being in the FA Cup final and receiving £78 million in TV money (the Albion earned less than £6m in the Championship), our chums up the road still lost £140,000 a week last season. This would have been a much higher loss had it not been for the sales of Glenn Murray, Jack Hunt and Barry Bannon, which generated a profit of £9 million.

It highlights that small clubs in the Premier League still struggle to make money, even if they have a good cup run.

Their wage bill was higher than that of Premier League Champions Leicester City.

Palace generated over £100,000,000 in revenue last season, and of that, spent £109,000 on new cladding at Selhurst.

View attachment 83030

View attachment 83032

View attachment 83031

Is Jack the French equivalent to Mike?

D

Deleted member 2719

They seem to run a reasonably tight ship and broke even in the last year for which I can find records. There's no one to lend them money at present, as they are a community club, so cannot spend beyond their means any more...unless the ex head of Disney, Michael Eisner, decides to pursue his interest.

View attachment 83035

Thanks, those sailorboys run far too tighter ship for my liking at the moment. :angry:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here