Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dale Stephens Summer 2016 shenanigans (Merged Thread)

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Stephens signed a contract for a set length of time, whereby he promised to play for bhafc and bhafc promised to pay him at a certain level for this service. If he turned out not to be good or got injured, he would still have got paid.

What gives him the right to demand that bhafc end the contract early in order that he can get another one that pays him more?

I think he is a good player, but Kayal has shown the respectful way of acting of you are not keen to sign another contract.

Dale will still earn more than the average person in a year in a month. If he performs well this year he will get a chance to play in the prem next year with another team or Brighton.

Club have handled this properly.

Are you quite new to this football malarkey?

As for Kayal, how many clubs have put in an offer for him? You haven't a clue how he would have behaved had a premier league club started making offers.

The only thing I agree with is your last comment. As the club always seem to do.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I'm guessing you don't know him personally and probably haven't spoken to someone that does. If that's the case then your opinion about his attitude is based purely on the speculation of others on NSC. I haven't seen any reports from the Albion or the Argus that he has refused to play or travel etc. I haven't heard or seen any comments on here from people claiming to know him stating that he is refusing to play or travel etc, on the contrary, it seems everyone that has met him has a high opinion of his attitude.

The guy is having to consider whether to stay with us or to move to a club and sign a contract that could be his last chance for a big pay day. The amount of people slagging him off are probably the same ones that slagged of Calderon when he nearly went to Soton or last year slagging off Dunk who then had a great season last year.

As I've acknowledged in my post - see the word "suggests" and elsewhere, it's speculation. I don't begrudge any player who wants to move clubs, or indeed who asks to move clubs. I do have an issue with players not giving 100% to the club they are contracted to and therefore the supporters who (indirectly) pay their wages. Pure speculation, but my OPINION is that his 100% commitment has not been there in the last few weeks.

As I said, if he comes out and says "I wanted to move, but I'm happy to be here nonetheless" and puts in some performances, then it's water under the bridge.

Keith Patel

**** off Lino.
Apr 4, 2009
Brighton
Tim Thornton is reporting on Sky Sports News HQ that Hull are still looking to get two more deals done before the deadline this evening.
"Hull are still looking to get two more deals done before the deadline so it could be a real race against the clock here," he said. "They're looking at a striker and a midfielder as well."

Just on Sky.... surely not?

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
With luck DS should be reinstated to the team immediately.
We have missed him.
DS will be aware that he will only get his wish if he is playing well.
This was a chance of PL but he has been advised poorly to ask for a transfer so late.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
True. Daft for Dale to be staying and daft for us to be rejecting a decent bid in the circumstances. Dressing room will be a worse place too now. We'll come about 5th

I'd rip your hand off for 5th. I've no issue with us rejecting the bid. Left it too late to try and engineer a move. If he throws teddies just put him on gardening leave.

HCxUK

Apr 18, 2014
https://twitter.com/8stephens/status/771121994314153985

Just tweeted about it all. Wanted to leave for the Prem as many be his last chance to do so. Disappointed not to be allowed to go. Will honour contract.

The tone of that is really disappointing, in fact it's disrespectful. Possibly his 'last chance' to play in the PL? He obviously has little faith in the current squad.

Can't see him being conducive to the team spirit. Should have let him go. Thanks for nothing Dale.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'd rip your hand off for 5th. I've no issue with us rejecting the bid. Left it too late to try and engineer a move. If he throws teddies just put him on gardening leave.

Dunk was fined 2 weeks wages last August. He did ok when he started playing again.
Elliott Bennett stayed with us after putting in a transfer request, & got a champions medal.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
As expected the "extra training" quoted by Hughton was all bollox like i said.

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
https://twitter.com/8stephens/status/771121994314153985

Just tweeted about it all. Wanted to leave for the Prem as many be his last chance to do so. Disappointed not to be allowed to go. Will honour contract.

Fair enough - but putting in another shift with us like he did last season would inevitably get him a shot at the PL in 2017-18. Either with us, or with a PL team that picks him up on a free. Bad advice from his agent? I suspect so.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Don't like that 'explanation' one bit. It's 'not an apology'. You've got some ****ing making up to do Dale. Also not just saying it but we have so, so much more going for us than Burnley. It's literally just about a season or 2 in the prem lg & £s - part of me doesn't blame him but part thinks he can't see the bigger picture and what we're building here. You owe us some seriously good performances now Dale.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
After reading that, I think the club would've been better off just getting shot of him rather than prolonging this any further.

The fact he doesn't seem to believe that we can win promotion from that statement doesn't exactly instill confidence in his ability to knuckle down and get the job done.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
The tone of that is really disappointing, in fact it's disrespectful. Possibly his 'last chance' to play in the PL? He obviously has little faith in the current squad.

Can't see him being conducive to the team spirit. Should have let him go. Thanks for nothing Dale.

I agree that the ''tone is disappointing'' but I don't find it disrespectful.

The lad is obviously still hurting about not getting the opportunity to play Premiership football here and now. I am glad he has come out and said something but he should have waited a few days or so until his obvious anger and disappointment had subsided a little. He would then have been able to produce a more measured and more acceptable sounding statement.

He mentions the club have known for 5 weeks but that cuts both ways. He has also known for 5 weeks that we wanted to keep him - He is a good lad Dale and it won't take him long to get over this and he will be back doing what he does best on the pitch for Brighton.

He will in time take it as a compliment of his abilities that we hung on so tight to keep him at Brighton.

The lad is understandably hurting at the moment but by the time he next steps on the pitch he will be over it. He is not the first to have a transfer request rejected and he will not be the last

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here