Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Argus building Hollingbury

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Thanks for sharing buddy. You got that all right. Hope Dad had a great life and maybe I knew him but I was only there 4 years as an apprentice. Shame I wasn't taken on after but it was great training and I am still an engineer to this day.

brightonbaz

Feb 22, 2009
John Christmas (Ithink I have his name right ) was also an instructor, along with Mick Dyer and Eric Lown. Was a good apprenticeship scheme. Spent my first year at School Road in Hove

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I don't know what's going to happen to the Argus building, but I do know that what's left of the staff will be moving to a single storey office in Manchester Street, opposite the Latest Bar.

Worked for Southern Publishing Company, who owned The Evening Argos. I was an apprentice compositor between 1976-80. Felt really old when I went to Amberley working museum only to go into the printing office to see them demonstrating what I used to do as a job - in a bloody museum!!!

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
My aunty worked at Metal Box in Fishersgate.

I went there for a week work experience in 1988 from Varndean school......was a culture shock getting up at 6am to get there at first but enjoyed it..

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
John Christmas (Ithink I have his name right ) was also an instructor, along with Mick Dyer and Eric Lown. Was a good apprenticeship scheme. Spent my first year at School Road in Hove

Yep, I was at School Road and also knew John, Mick and Eric. Eric used to sit there picking his nose all day.

Dave Harrington was the other instructor. All marshalled by the superb but scary Mr Gil Percy.

brightonbaz

Feb 22, 2009
Yep, I was at School Road and also knew John, Mick and Eric. Eric used to sit there picking his nose all day.

Dave Harrington was the other instructor. All marshalled by the superb but scary Mr Gil Percy.

Gil Percy put the fear of god everyone! Would like to have known him better but that was never going to happen as an apprentice. I also went to Preston Road Tech. Mr Bush was my instructor as School Road. Can't remember the other's names though. Was also trying to think of the name of the man that ran the canteen, did the cleaning etc. This thread has taken me right back!!

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Gil Percy put the fear of god everyone! Would like to have known him better but that was never going to happen as an apprentice. I also went to Preston Road Tech. Mr Bush was my instructor as School Road. Can't remember the other's names though. Was also trying to think of the name of the man that ran the canteen, did the cleaning etc. This thread has taken me right back!!

Hah Preston Road, me too! Bloke called Brian Clough was the Principal there. The guy who ran the canteen at School Road was an Indian fella, always let us run up a tab as we were always skint come Monday morning.

78-79 I was there; you Baz? Mr Bush was also my instructor.

brightonbaz

Feb 22, 2009
Hah Preston Road, me too! Bloke called Brian Clough was the Principal there. The guy who ran the canteen at School Road was an Indian fella, always let us run up a tab as we were always skint come Monday morning.

78-79 I was there; you Baz? Mr Bush was also my instructor.

I was at School Road in 1980. Yes remember the tab....and the pool table!!

It was a tough apprenticeship. The instructors demanded high standards. If I remember correctly KTM employer about 1500 people both at Hollingbury and at Portslade. The social club was over near boundary road....cheap beer...........

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
I was at Gross/Chubbs.

I believe there were once 9,000 industrial jobs on Crowhurst Road. The factories had to stagger their start and finish times so that the special busses could cope. It all seems so long ago now.

You must have been as big a disappointment to Willie Pope and Co as I was :wink:

School Road 76-77, Think I remember Bush and I'm sure there was a (best Stephen Fry accent) Darling. Took me years to recover from the green overalls, safety specs and hairnet fashion faux pas.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
I was at School Road in 1980. Yes remember the tab....and the pool table!!

It was a tough apprenticeship. The instructors demanded high standards. If I remember correctly KTM employer about 1500 people both at Hollingbury and at Portslade. The social club was over near boundary road....cheap beer...........

Small world, I lived in Boundary Road. Next to the TSB.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Yes mate, done my apprenticeship there ( 1978-82 ) and played for the Sunday team for 12 years.

Busy place back then what with ITT Creeds there as well.

With Gross cash registers just up the road it was a busy industrial estate employing around 6000 people

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here