Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How happy are you with the Albion's start this season?

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
We put ourselves at a disadvantage by not being able for various reasons to get decent striking options on board.

I think Hughton has got to try and get the first team to have more belief in themselves and not start games in awe of star studded opposition.

Having said that we are not currently in the relegation spots so that in itself is something to build on.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Overall, I am very happy. I was a bit worried after the Leicester game, where we were very poor but since then we've been pretty good.

Deserved more Watford and Bournemouth games but could easily have drawn (or even lost) against Newcastle so think we are about right with points currently.

To be honest, considering where we've come from, it seems amazing that we are not only playing at this level but also competing with these teams. Against Everton, I hardly noticed Rooney (England's leading goalscorer) and Sigurdsson (who cost £40 million in the summer). That is amazing and shows we really can compete at this level.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'm actually pretty delighted, we're matching some good sides, could have had more points which while disappointing is actually a good sign. Our confidence and spirit look good. More to come from us, nice run of games coming up.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I would have been happy with the points tally had it not been for the 7 points I believe we have already let slip through our grasp. Losing to Bournemouth and drawing with Everton. Having taken the lead in both games, we reverted to parking the bus........hopefully that lesson will be learned very quickly. And failing to score against Watford when they were playing with 10 for most of the game.

If we average a point a game (as we are to date), I'm not convinced that 38 pts will be enough. Only time will tell.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
I think 3 points over the next 2 games are more than achievable and would have us at more than a point at game which I feared we'd be nowhere near going into Nov.
Good to see Kayal & Baldock back as need a full strength squad going into Nov & Dec and although it's good for young Molumby to get squad experience, it's a bit early for him at this level.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
We're outside the bottom three, as long as that remains the case I will be happy.

Shame we blew it against Everton and Bournemouth, and couldn't find a winner against Watford, but such is life.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I don't think our 8 points is just rewards though. To have taken just 2 points from Watford, Bournemouth and Everton - given how each game went - feels light.
Well 1 point from Watford and Bournemouth obviously doesn't tell the story of those games, but likewise 6 points from Newcastle and West Brom doesn't either. Although the victory against West Brom felt easy enough, the reality is we took a couple of difficult chances while they missed some easier ones.

To answer the original question - I'm happy with how we've played and the points we've gained. There's a very long way to go and it's going to be a battle all the way. I'd be very happy with a point a game until the window opens and we can strengthen.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I would have been happy with the points tally had it not been for the 7 points I believe we have already let slip through our grasp. Losing to Bournemouth and drawing with Everton. Having taken the lead in both games, we reverted to parking the bus........hopefully that lesson will be learned very quickly. And failing to score against Watford when they were playing with 10 for most of the game.

If we average a point a game (as we are to date), I'm not convinced that 38 pts will be enough. Only time will tell.

Not sure how anyone can think we parked the bus against Everton. We were only ahead for eight minutes during which we forced a very good save off their keeper. And their goal came from a free kick after we had pushed too many players forward from a corner. How that equates to parking the bus is beyond me.

Even at Bournemouth, we didn't sit back particularly but were just made to pay for a mistake. The way we reacted to both goals was disappointing but I don't think were too defensive when ahead.

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
Better than expected. I go into every match- including the big boys- thinking we can get something out of the match.

New signings have settled in and injuries on their way back.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I'm happy with the performances - we're competing with the sides we need to.

I don't think our 8 points is just rewards though. To have taken just 2 points from Watford, Bournemouth and Everton - given how each game went - feels light.

Agree. Points shortfall of 4 pts if we are to attain 40 pts. Disappointed with our play on the ball, esp against Arsenal and Everton.

We are able to avoid losing the ball (plus), but only Swansea create less chances (minus).

Last edited:

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Very very happy much better start than I anticipated lots of new players all from different leagues no 25 goal forward landed before deadline day with all that in mind it's a fabulous start and to be honest we should be a bit better off than 8 points and that 10 points in my opinion would be more reflective of the really good football we are playing

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Three quarters happy, performances great but we need to take the points when they are available as every point is critical, but I am happy we are getting better with each game and will be safe.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Looking forward from the start of the season I would have said we are doing we are more or less as expected. Looking back from now, we could have had a two or three more points easily, so a bit disappointed (especially as I suspect every point and goal difference will count by the end).

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I think tonight will have a big impact on how I rate our start. A draw or win and I’d say it’s a pretty decent start. If we lose it’s starting to look like we might not hit that points target. Especially as our run in is very tough.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Same as many others. We are doing better than I predicted but considering the way games have gone slightly disappointed we are not a few points better off. Hopefully they won't be crucial come the end of the season.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We're sort of scrabbling along - could do a bit better, could do a lot worse. Round about what I expected, I suppose. A win tonight would bump up my satisfaction level considerably.

On the positive side, our 2-0 defeat by Man. City is starting to look like a damn good result!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If I was CH I wouldnt be happy because I would always want more and feel that we could have another 4 points with just a little more battle and discipline shown. Taking into account our failures up front I suppose we should be satisfied but not happy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here