Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How far have we come

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
We were saying pretty much the same thing after. Feels quite weird to be gutted after a draw against Everton.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
We have to leave ancient history behind. Chelsea, Man City were for most of their history the poor cousins to their neighbours.
The Amex is a premier league ground, and we should have a large fan base, as Crawley is the nearest league club, and they are a few miles away.

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
Sometimes I think do I need the stress? I get so emotionally wrapped up in it all. Sometimes I think I have a love/hate relationship with football. Sometimes I act like a complete mental dickhead and I feel a little bit embarrassed after I calm down. Today I was in a bad mood for a while after the game but now I'm still buzzing from the sheer emotion of it all. The noise our fans created in the second half was immense, uplifting and beautiful. We all come together as one. I BLOODY LOVE THIS CLUB

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
And the journey isn't over. While this season is likely to involve scrapping in the bottom half of the table I am heartened by the fact that we seem to be improving. The new signings are bedding in and with Izquierdo and Brown coming off the bench looking fired up there's more to come.

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
And if any of the current crop of Brighton legends reads this. I think, as I'm sure many others do too, you are all amazing. Brilliant passion and desire. Everyone is up for it, everyone feels it. Let's do this. Let's stay in this league. Everyone deserves it. What amazing passion there is around this club

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
yeah he did. How he **** did we lose 4-0 to home to Crewe :lolol: Actually I've looked back and it makes me feel even better about today - Dean White was caretaker manager that day, a week before Slade was appointed manager. Apparently Colin Hawkins being injured was part of our problems and Virgo was in the middle of a five-match ban :lolol: That was the game where Jim McNulty ruptured his kidney

Sussex Express headline from that day is amusing http://www.sussexexpress.co.uk/spor...-seagulls-ever-win-at-withdean-again-1-965025
Yeah that was probably the low-point of that season - that or the 0-1 defeat to 9-man Walsall, where Matt Richards spent 90 minutes lofting crosses straight into the arms of Clayton Ince. :lolol:

Crewe scored a bunch of screamers that day if my memory serves, Gylfi included.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Yeah that was probably the low-point of that season - that or the 0-1 defeat to 9-man Walsall, where Matt Richards spent 90 minutes lofting crosses straight into the arms of Clayton Ince. :lolol:

Crewe scored a bunch of screamers that day if my memory serves, Gylfi included.

for me it was the 3-0 defeat away at Walsall, with Slade seemingly unable to do anything about our slide, a team half full of hopeless loanees, no atmosphere, no passion, easily the most bored and miserable I've felt at a Brighton game.

and then somehow he conspired to recall Hart, Fraser, Loft and so on and keep us up :) quite barnstorming in the end

I am sitting here, gutted that we didn't finish off one the premier league's most seasoned campaigners and take the three deserved points - thwarted right at the death by a penalty taken by England's highest ever all time goalscorer....

Not that long ago I was p*ssed off at us losing at Hartlepool or Cheltenham Town

We really have come a long long way together!

So where are we???

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
With the best will in the world I don't like these threads.

The Albion turned up today to a state of the art stadium, with at least 4 full internationals, Championship PotS, one of Germany's PotS, a rock solid defense, and one would hope a couple of full internationals in waiting.

We're not little old Brighton anymore (I do appreciate that's not exactly what the OP is says).
Our team were more than a match for Everton, I still maintain they didn't do themselves justice v Arsenal, because we're a bloody good side.

Yes the club has come a long way but lets not use that as some kind of faux 'Lil old Brighton', esp if we're going to get titsy when others say 'we should be beating teams like Brighton'.

Exactly this. Just because we used to be lower League and nearly disappeared doesn’t mean we can now be expected to be patronised; threads like this encourage the view that we are some how the little kids who have just entered the sweet shop for the first time and are gazing around in wonder at where we are.

We earned this, we are serious, we ain’t going away. End of. That is the message we should be giving.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Exactly this. Just because we used to be lower League and nearly disappeared doesn’t mean we can now be expected to be patronised; threads like this encourage the view that we are some how the little kids who have just entered the sweet shop for the first time and are gazing around in wonder at where we are.

We earned this, we are serious, we ain’t going away. End of. That is the message we should be giving.

And if we aren't going away, we have to finish poor teams like Everton off, no matter how much they spent in summer or how many times teams with their name won the title.

I am sitting here, gutted that we didn't finish off one the premier league's most seasoned campaigners and take the three deserved points - thwarted right at the death by a penalty taken by England's highest ever all time goalscorer....

Not that long ago I was p*ssed off at us losing at Hartlepool or Cheltenham Town

We really have come a long long way together!

I felt positive despite the sickener at end. I think this was the best we’ve played this season and I’m a bit more confident about staying up now

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I don't think it's anything to do with being "little Brighton". It's just about enjoying the moment. I too was obviously gutted leaving the ground, and still am really, but at the same time, and I'm sorry if it' the wrong attitude, I'm so thrilled to have seen us compete in a nigly, high tempo, passionate Premier League game. Living the dream at the moment and it's not like if you stay up it's all of sudden easier to stay up the next year, or the the next, or the next. This is the happiest and most chilled I've ever felt following the Albion. Last year was great but always the fear of ****ing it up. Can't wait for Friday night.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
for me it was the 3-0 defeat away at Walsall, with Slade seemingly unable to do anything about our slide, a team half full of hopeless loanees, no atmosphere, no passion, easily the most bored and miserable I've felt at a Brighton game.

and then somehow he conspired to recall Hart, Fraser, Loft and so on and keep us up :) quite barnstorming in the end

And sign Owusu :banana:

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003

The Albion turned up today to a state of the art stadium, with at least 4 full internationals, Championship PotS, one of Germany's PotS, a rock solid defense, and one would hope a couple of full internationals in waiting.

We're not little old Brighton anymore (I do appreciate that's not exactly what the OP is says).
Our team were more than a match for Everton, I still maintain they didn't do themselves justice v Arsenal, because we're a bloody good side.

Yes the club has come a long way but lets not use that as some kind of faux 'Lil old Brighton', esp if we're going to get titsy when others say 'we should be beating teams like Brighton'.
I agree - to an extent. For me I judge these threads more on the intention of the OP. If they're doing it to have a dig then yes I don't like them. You know the form: "Message to all the moaners: Twenty years ago we just about stayed in the football league and then we struggled in the fourth division losing at home to people like Hartlepool whilst playing in dumps like Priestfield and Withdean. Now people are moaning because we can't beat Everton in the Premier League! You're all a load of ungrateful ******** who need to get a sense of perspective and I, being obviously the only grown-up on here, am the person who will point this out to you." Yes, I HATE those threads as we can't keep on using Hereford, Archer etc as the only points of reference for absolutely everything to do with the club.

However if the OP is more in wonderment: "Wow! I'm actually slightly upset because we only drew with Everton in the Premier League! Who'd have thunk it?" then I agree with the OP because that's my view as well.No moaning, just an almost weird feeling that (for me) after over fifty years of being usually a bit shit we've actually got to this level. I'm going to give the OP the benefit of the doubt and say the post was made in that latter spirit, not as a moan at the people who were disappointed at the result.

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008

Maybe it's you that,underneath the bluster, still has the "little old Brighton" complex. There is no inherent contradiction between feeling amazed at our journey over the past 20 years and realising that, all things considered, we are actually quite a very good club, both on and off the pitch. Walking to the game from the Swan we were talking about (a) expecting to be able to beat Everton and (b) that comparing Goodison Park to the Amex there is no doubt which club has the better ground. However you look at it, they are both amazing things to consider for someone like me who has been watching the Albion for more than 50 years. A large part of football for most supporters is about history and heritage. Are you expecting us to cast all of that to one side. To me, that would make Albion fans more akin to Arsenal fans with their sense of entitlement and their seeming complete lack of engagement in the game; compare, if you will, the reaction between our goal yesterday and the two they scored against us. The roar that greeted that goal, and the others we have scored this season, comes from the part of the heart and brain that has experienced our journey.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here