Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Horrendous attack in Las Vegas

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Reading back through this thread .. when the bodies are still warm?

Apparently, he met 'all state and federal requirements, including an FBI background check.' according to a gun shop owner where he purchased some weapons back in Spring and there is no record of mental instability. Some semi-automatic rifles can be modified to fire on full auto and even if they tried to ban them there would most likely be an upsurge in buying these types of weapons before new laws came in, as has happened before. In other words in a country awash with weapons, most people (especially people with a clean record) intent on inflicting mass casualties are likely to get hold of firearms either legally or illegally.

:shrug:

Might as well give them away free with cereal then, or make it as hard as possible, I cant decide.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
All this talk of “It’s in the 2nd amendment so that’s that” over there astounds me. It’s already an amendment - so that means laws can be changed. I mean..... give the w..angers a biro. How can Americans not see it.
As for all this talk about there being so many guns out there that it would be pointless doing anything is just giving in. Doing nothing and just accepting that this is going to be the future but with more ‘machines going wrong’ and letting it happen on a even more regular basis is total madness.
Just do nothing America.

Also, the second amendment does NOT give individuals the right to bear arms. It gives 'the people' the right to bear arms to protect their State (not their home). But hey ho. It's not my country.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I really can't understand how this thread has veered off on to Gun Control. It really isn't ever going to happen in the U S so unfortunately they will just have accept this is going to keep happening and move on.

It's sad for all those shot and wounded over the years but there is no tragedy big enough to change the constitution.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I really can't understand how this thread has veered off on to Gun Control. It really isn't ever going to happen in the U S so unfortunately they will just have accept this is going to keep happening and move on.

It's sad for all those shot and wounded over the years but there is no tragedy big enough to change the constitution.

Really?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Read the second line. Oh, and plus do you really think Americans are going to seek guidance on NSC?

It will be hard to change a couple of centuries of frontier mentality, but as some stage there MUST be a change otherwise these massacres will just grow in savagery and frequency.

The 2nd amendment was written at a time when the pioneers were still in danger of attack by those pesky indigenous peoples, but they're safely removed now.

The BIG problem in the US is not the will of people, which may well still be broadly in favour of free access to assault rifles, but the political landscape and the NRA funding of this. Obama tried and failed to implement more controls, but the political establishment made sure that didn't occur.

I agree - it's hard, but that doesn't mean it's pointless to try, IMHO

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Read the second line. Oh, and plus do you really think Americans are going to seek guidance on NSC?

Agree.

Perhaps they should live the constitution.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

This relates to the right of 'the people', not individuals, to bear arms to protect the State. This was written at a time where power rested with the individual 13 States.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It's a big circular argument that will never resolve the issue. Sadly many more people will die due to guns in the US and as I say, no tragedy will ever be big enough to change that.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
It's a big circular argument that will never resolve the issue. Sadly many more people will die due to guns in the US and as I say, no tragedy will ever be big enough to change that.

Indeed. If you have a situation where school kids are shot in their school and you have a president CLEARLY determined to do something about it.....and that's STILL not enough to change the law, then I don't really know what is.

I imagine when the second amendment was written in 1791, fully automatic killing machines weren't part of the plan.

I may be wrong here, but the 2nd Ammendment was in order to arm a Militia in case of occupation etc.

score-468x400.jpg

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

You can’t understand how people would talk of gun control after a mass shooting ? It’s hardly a thread hijack is it ?

Although I take your point about the good old U.S. of A not doing anything about it 100%. If seeing scores of dead and dying people on tv clips doesn’t move them enough to do anything then so be it I suppose. In this country though we will discuss what can be done to change things...... it’s the way we are thank god.

Last edited:

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
And they didn't have fully automatic weapons then. When is one needed apart from full scale war?

To quote Ordell Robbie "When you absolutely, positively, got to kill every mother****er in the room"

Unfortunately the US attitude to guns seems to be the only way to control them is have more guns. I can't remember who it was (could have been Trump) but after the Florida nightclub shooting they claimed had more people in the club been armed then someone could have taken out the shooter quicker....

Or you know turned it into a wild west shoot-out.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Indeed. If you have a situation where school kids are shot in their school and you have a president CLEARLY determined to do something about it.....and that's STILL not enough to change the law, then I don't really know what is.
Right, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't talk about it any more.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

You are going mad Veg. We discuss all things on here. If the Americans did tune in to NSC they would learn a damn sight more than they do on Fox News, that’s for sure.

No point talking about politics or anything else on here that government is involved with then btw because I,m not sure either May or Corbyn come on here.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
It will be hard to change a couple of centuries of frontier mentality, but as some stage there MUST be a change otherwise these massacres will just grow in savagery and frequency.

The 2nd amendment was written at a time when the pioneers were still in danger of attack by those pesky indigenous peoples, but they're safely removed now.

The BIG problem in the US is not the will of people, which may well still be broadly in favour of free access to assault rifles, but the political landscape and the NRA funding of this. Obama tried and failed to implement more controls, but the political establishment made sure that didn't occur.

I agree - it's hard, but that doesn't mean it's pointless to try, IMHO

https://splinternews.com/every-member-of-congress-who-took-money-from-the-nra-an-1819059582

Interesting / sickening read. All the members of Congress who have tweeted their sympathies whilst also being in receipt of donations from the NRA.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here