Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The morning teeth brush debate

Do you brush your teeth before or after breakfast?

• Before

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • After

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Also................does anybody have kids (silly question) but Milk is bad for teeth,now it should not be but if given in the wrong way it can rot teeth and strip enamel too....

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Also................does anybody have kids (silly question) but Milk is bad for teeth,now it should not be but if given in the wrong way it can rot teeth and strip enamel too....

According to our dentist, if you want healthy teeth the only two things you should ever drink that don't harm them are milk and water. Everything else is staining/corrosive etc.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
According to our dentist, if you want healthy teeth the only two things you should ever drink that don't harm them are milk and water. Everything else is staining/corrosive etc.

Think you should re evaluate the milk bit,however it could be to do with the timing of the brushing..............i am not saying the professionals (dentists) are incorrect,just throwing it out there as i seem to recall seeing a you girl of about 8 years of age-featured on a tv programme- whose teeth were ruined by drinking milk.

The parents (rightly) were horrified that milk of all things was the root cause....

Edit: have found a link to support this http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...s-teeth-lactose-type-sugar-harmful-night.html

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
This. Your enamel is still soft so you should wait 40 minutes to an hour after eating before brushing.
Reading up on it this morning, it may depends on what you have for breakfast. If you don't have acids (oranges etc) then it may be better to brush straight after, rather than wait 40 mins, as damage will be done in those 40 mins, and brushing might not hurt the enamel if you haven't had acids. Still better to brush before I think.

http://www.colgate.com/en/us/oc/ora...brushing-teeth-after-eating-good-for-you-0313

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Reading up on it this morning, it may depends on what you have for breakfast. If you don't have acids (oranges etc) then it may be better to brush straight after, rather than wait 40 mins, as damage will be done in those 40 mins, and brushing might not hurt the enamel if you haven't had acids. Still better to brush before I think.

http://www.colgate.com/en/us/oc/ora...brushing-teeth-after-eating-good-for-you-0313

I generally eat fresh fruit for breakfast and my dentist recommended brushing before as the reaction was damaging the enamel. For the past 5 or so years my teeth have been in much better nick

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I generally eat fresh fruit for breakfast and my dentist recommended brushing before as the reaction was damaging the enamel.
Exactly.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
To add another dimension to the debate, do you rinse after brushing to get rid of all the 'foam' or do you just spit out the excess and allow the rest to carry on working?

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Used to do it after, but that damages the enamel on your teeth as its weak up to 30 minutes after eating.

So I recommended brushing before.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
To add another dimension to the debate, do you rinse after brushing to get rid of all the 'foam' or do you just spit out the excess and allow the rest to carry on working?

Leaving the excess foam in helps protect your teeth.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
As someone brought up on the 1950's message of "Pepsodent" - "You'll Wonder where the Yellow Went when You Brush Your Teeth with.." there was a clear implication that you brushed your teeth last thing at night. I never got any message that brushing first thing in the morning was any good. And why wait until after breakfast?

It's a simple metaphor the old "SS&S";

Sh1t
Shower'n
Shave.

No teeth mentioned, right?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

What way is the wrong way?

I've always been a milk drinker and apart from cracking a tooth down through the route when a dog nudged a bottle that I was drinking out of, I have had no problem with my teeth.

Last edited:

Aveacarlin'

Jul 5, 2011
The Mrs insists on before and always has done. I was an after chap before meeting her but have been converted, for the better it seems.
Really? Your wife tells you when to brush your teeth?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

T.G

Mar 30, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
I was told once by a dentist (Who had appalling bad breath!!!Should have told me something) that you should brush before, as the food you eat for breakfast reacts with the acidic build up through the night and is bad for your teeth. In the absence of any other reason I brush before breakfast, which is now a habit and makes my mouth feel fresh for my morning brew.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
One key point not yet mentioned - how long do you spend brushing?
I've had a fair bit of gum problem and my upper right 1 & 2 and upper left 1 were removed in February as they had become so loose.
I've had inserts fitted in June and in Nov I'll have the crowns attached to the inserts.
During the last 5 years I've spent quite a bit of time in the hygenists chair - here's my routine that is now stating to reverse my gum problems.

Electric tooth brush
2 mins in the morning after eating [porridge usually] - spit but no after rinse
A good swish 'n' spit after lunch with a basic mouth wash [in the bogs at work]
Electric brush for 2 mins before bed
inter-dental brush [2 different sizes]
floss with those clever harp-shaped jobbies
thorough rinse 'n' spit with Corsodyl mouth wash [sometime throw in a gargle for good measure].

Dentist told me if you are about to eat anything sweet, brush teeth first to remove any debris that the sugar can react with to make plaque

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here