Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Sounds like the transition deal is going to have to be extended again de to the fact that we can't find a solution to the Irish border that actually works.. Moggy is going to have to blow sooner or later !

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
I thought Sir Ivan Rogers' speech - which has been referenced in many places online - is very good for an introduction to the technical difficulties. Available: http://eureferendum.com/documents/rogers%20speech.pdf

He is a good (but long) read because he know the situation from the inside and is fairly even handed, considering the extremes of both Remainer and Leaver sides to be unrealistic. Worth a read to see how we will be tied within EU knots whatever the UK does. Particularly interesting was the contrast between our previous position, characterised as "in-looking out", compared to what seems to be the plan: "out-looking in".

astralavi

Apr 6, 2017
Sounds like the transition deal is going to have to be extended again de to the fact that we can't find a solution to the Irish border that actually works.. Moggy is going to have to blow sooner or later !

Yes his nanny maybe called upon several times this evening. Hopefully his family will let him watch Zulu and some James Bond. Hopefully no one will mention the UK now being a vassel state or question a policy of total loss of control in order to lead to greater control.
Luckily he will always have a small mob of pitchfork wielding serfs that worship him because they think he is from Narnia.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I thought Sir Ivan Rogers' speech - which has been referenced in many places online - is very good for an introduction to the technical difficulties. Available: http://eureferendum.com/documents/rogers%20speech.pdf

He is a good (but long) read because he know the situation from the inside and is fairly even handed, considering the extremes of both Remainer and Leaver sides to be unrealistic. Worth a read to see how we will be tied within EU knots whatever the UK does. Particularly interesting was the contrast between our previous position, characterised as "in-looking out", compared to what seems to be the plan: "out-looking in".

Sounds dangerously like a man who knows of what he speaks and...... WE DON'T NEED HIS TYPE AROUND HERE!

I picked out this paragraph which rather sums up the tricky Red, White and Blue Brexit model:

There is no legal status of “being a third country which used to be a member and therefore can be treated radically better than other third countries”. There is no legal “half way in, half way out” option for either the Single Market or the Customs Union. There is therefore an asymmetry. If you are in, you can, within constraints, negotiate bespoke arrangements, carve outs, opt-outs, opt back-ins, and so forth. But once you are out of the legal architecture of the EU, the scope for bespoke arrangements is massively diminished.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Sounds dangerously like a man who knows of what he speaks and...... WE DON'T NEED HIS TYPE AROUND HERE!

I picked out this paragraph which rather sums up the tricky Red, White and Blue Brexit model:

There is no legal status of “being a third country which used to be a member and therefore can be treated radically better than other third countries”. There is no legal “half way in, half way out” option for either the Single Market or the Customs Union. There is therefore an asymmetry. If you are in, you can, within constraints, negotiate bespoke arrangements, carve outs, opt-outs, opt back-ins, and so forth. But once you are out of the legal architecture of the EU, the scope for bespoke arrangements is massively diminished.

I hate reading from people who have investigated this and understand the issues. I much prefer the loudmouths on this thread who know exactly what is going to happen. They are the ones who are really on the button.

I await more words of wisdom with nervous anticipation.

Shame on you garry nelson's teacher for attempting to add some sanity into this thread...who the
hell do you think you are?

D

Deleted member 22389

Anyone watch Carry on Brussels. My wife genuinely thought it was a comedy and not the real thing. What bureaucratic nonsense the EU is. These people live on a different planet.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I get nervous when I dont see the words could, possibly, maybe, what could happen is, perhaps etc What is Sir Ivan Rogers thinking about for heavens sake!

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I hate reading from people who have investigated this and understand the issues. I much prefer the loudmouths on this thread who know exactly what is going to happen. They are the ones who are really on the button.

I await more words of wisdom with nervous anticipation.

Shame on you garry nelson's teacher for attempting to add some sanity into this thread...who the
hell do you think you are?

Humble apologies! I'll default to the slanging match henceforth.

D

Deleted member 22389

I've not seen the full thing yet, and I'm sure you have a point. But I gather that the UKIP MEPs don't emerge with an awful lot of credit (or credibility)?

Yes the UKIP execution was poor, but I think they are the only ones telling the truth here about this place. Please watch it thou and let me know what you think. Try to get change on things like free movement, is the same as telling them to stop visiting strasbourg once a fortnight. It's never going to happen, ever.

Last edited by a moderator:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I see Justice Secretary David Gauke is open to extending the ROTL scheme to Category C prisoners to help fill gaps in the workforce post Brexit. I wonder what Leave supporter Tim Martin thinks of that staffing prospect in his 'family friendly' Wetherspoon pubs? I must have missed it during the campaign in 2016, but I'm sure it was stated and quite a vote winner for Leave.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Anyone watch Carry on Brussels. My wife genuinely thought it was a comedy and not the real thing. What bureaucratic nonsense the EU is. These people live on a different planet.

A body set up to provide regulations, is bureaucratic. How could it be anything else?

D

Deleted member 22389

A body set up to provide regulations, is bureaucratic. How could it be anything else?

The way they implement regulation is very bureaucratic. It's wasting a lot of money. Like I said these people live on another planet.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
I see Justice Secretary David Gauke is open to extending the ROTL scheme to Category C prisoners to help fill gaps in the workforce post Brexit. I wonder what Leave supporter Tim Martin thinks of that staffing prospect in his 'family friendly' Wetherspoon pubs? I must have missed it during the campaign in 2016, but I'm sure it was stated and quite a vote winner for Leave.

lol that's brilliant. The Uk would rather have criminals in the work force than foreigners.

:lolol:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
The way they implement regulation is very bureaucratic. It's wasting a lot of money. Like I said these people live on another planet.

Regulating 28 countries is very bureaucratic ?

I've got some really bad news for you about bears and woods

*edit* If you are really interested in bureaucracy, try comparing the time taken to conduct a simple vote at the EU compared to Westminster

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
lol that's brilliant. The Uk would rather have criminals in the work force than foreigners.

:lolol:

I don't see anything to laugh at. There are very high rates of re-offending among British prisoners - I think it's the highest in Europe and one of the biggest problems is unemployment among recently-released offenders. If you give them jobs, they're less likely to re-offend. Less crime, fewer prisoners, lower public spending.

Sounds good to me

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here