Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] What do you consider to be the greatest debut album of all time ?

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia

I'm not sure if this really counts as Bob Mould had been both a member of Husker Du and a solo artist before this was released, but this might just be my favourite album of the early 90's. This track and " If I Can't Change Your Mind" are perfect pop and the rest is brilliant melodic american punk .

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Hard to look past Dizzee Rascal tbh, considering his age and the fact he was about 10 years ahead of the game.

It took a while to grow on me, I bought it straight after reading reviews and had never heard of him. I was a bit meh at first but quickly enjoyed telling people at work to Fix up Look Sharp to weird looks

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
Saw them on their first UK tour, supporting British Sea Power at tiny venues such as Lincoln Bivouac, and then at their first UK headline gig, upstairs at the Camden Barfly (not even sold out). They had tunes for sure, but I would never have predicted they'd become so huge.

Good album. Saw them when they came to Brighton @ the Zap. Either the day before or day after hot fuss came out.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Portishead - Dummy
Massive Attack
Tricky - Maxinquaye

Portishead - Dummy *Too depressing, bought it anyway cos liked it at the right time (not at 6 am still awake in a room filled with fear with work in 2 hours)
Massive Attack - Blue Lines * quality
Tricky - Maxinquaye * Never got well into Tricky, think I bought it, cant remember

There must have been something in the water in Bristol in the early 90's to produce such talents

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Saw them on their first UK tour, supporting British Sea Power at tiny venues such as Lincoln Bivouac, and then at their first UK headline gig, upstairs at the Camden Barfly (not even sold out). They had tunes for sure, but I would never have predicted they'd become so huge.

The first time I saw British Sea Power they were supporting The Fall at Concorde 2 around the late 90s/early noughties. Bloody hell, they were good. Likewise, I fell in love big time with Ladytron after seeing them support Peaches.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Piper At The Gates Of Dawn (All down hill from there)

s much as I like the album, you an't say it was downhill when the same band put out 44 mins of bliss that is Wish You Were Here

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Portishead - Dummy *Too depressing, bought it anyway cos liked it at the right time (not at 6 am still awake in a room filled with fear with work in 2 hours)
Massive Attack - Blue Lines * quality
Tricky - Maxinquaye * Never got well into Tricky, think I bought it, cant remember

There must have been something in the water in Bristol in the early 90's to produce such talents

Definitely. They were all part of a very incestuous music scene. Tricky and Massive Attack came from The Wild Bunch, ostensibly a Bristol band but more of a musical collective that also gave rise to Nellee Hopper (Soul II Soul) and Roni Size. Before that were other Trip-hop acts such as Smith and Mighty who produced Massive Attack's first single (I think) and Monk & Cantella.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Hang on, I forgot something.
It's a dead heat between Throwing Muses' and Tindersticks' eponymous debuts.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fKRfWcRZpYM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ReYu-qts2Dg

Both purchased on the week of release when I heard the above tracks in Max records in Eastbourne.

That Tindersticks debuted with a double album could be considered cocky but it's entirely justified. They instantly became one of my favourite bands and 25 years on still make exceptional albums and are one of only a handful of bands I would go to London to see live. Having seen them over a dozen times they are always absolutely stunning.
Throwing Muses, a bunch of teenagers with a drummer who didn't have cymbals. Initially interpreted as some kind of statement he eventually admitted that it was because he didn't have time to hit them so didn't bother with them. 30 years on I'd go to London to watch them having seen them more than hold their own alongside Pixies at the Mean Fiddler and REM at Wembley Stadium in the space of a few months.

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea

Would have been around the same time I saw them on the NME awards tour 2005 at Brighton Dome with The Futureheads (crap), Bloc Party (excellent), The Kaiser Chiefs (great fun before they became big heads). The Killers made one good album and Hot Fuss was it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
Screen Shot 2018-03-26 at 15.32.48.png

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
The OP is of course correct

Honorable mention

Moving Targets-Penetration

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
s much as I like the album, you an't say it was downhill when the same band put out 44 mins of bliss that is Wish You Were Here

You can if you think that Syd Barrett was head and shoulders the best thing ever about Pink Floyd.

For me, there were odd highlights in the rest of their career, but I wouldn't swap you 'Bike' for all of their multi platinum albums put together.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here