Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Conservatories

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Ghastly things. And I certainly don't have on attached to my ivory tower.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Many people rather naively thought they were a cheap way for an extension without the fuss of b regs or pp

Basically, conservatories are exempt from Building Regs.
It needs to be single storey, constructed at ground level, and less than 30 sq metres of floor area.
It also requires a lockable barrier between the house and conservatory.
If the existing central heating system is extended to heat it, it must contain isolation valves and thermostatic control valves.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Eeee

Had mine done 2 years ago and it is fantastic, I sit out there more than indoors. It is big, 6x5 metres, but then my garden is 200ft long. Best thing I've had done to my house in the 15 years I've been here, and I've changed a lot. Love it.

I'm seeing, "I'm considerably richer than yo." In my head.

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
You might not get back every penny you spend, but it clearly adds to the value of your property -given that it is in effect an extra room, of course it would.

I'm pretty sure when anyone talks about 'adding value' it's in reference to the house value increasing more than they spent on the improvements.

I would suggest you don't take up property development with your definition of it!

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
They're heat efficient compared to old ones, but even Pilkington's EnergyKare triple glazed argon filled K glass units still only perform as well as a 1970's clear masonry cavity wall. That is good for glass, but still a poor insulator and not heat efficient - just more heat efficient than other types of glazing.

Most conservatories now have Argon filled, warm-edge spacer bars with low emissive glass sealed units, Planitherm sealed units achieve a U-value of about 1.0W/m2K.
This coupled with the same roof glass, insulated cavity walls and insulated slabs below the screeded floor make the rooms liveable all year round.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
I've got one and can't wait to knock it down. Either too hot, too cold, or just to change things up, leaking like a sieve when we get the right combination of wind and rain. Everest have a lot to answer for.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Most conservatories now have Argon filled, warm-edge spacer bars with low emissive glass sealed units, Planitherm sealed units achieve a U-value of about 1.0W/m2K.
This coupled with the same roof glass, insulated cavity walls and insulated slabs below the screeded floor make the rooms liveable all year round.

A u-value of 1.0 for generally 75%+ of a building envelope cannot be described as thermally efficient. Might be liveable and comfortable, but when that space is heated, it is not thermally efficient.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I'm seeing, "I'm considerably richer than yo." In my head.

Really, wasn't written to sound like that, but I am very fortunate to have bought this house when I did. I'm now on benefits, recovering from bowel cancer and on kidney diaysis 5 days a week as I have no kidneys, which is not a lot of fun. Nice house though.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Really, wasn't written to sound like that, but I am very fortunate to have bought this house when I did. I'm now on benefits, recovering from bowel cancer and on kidney diaysis 5 days a week as I have no kidneys, which is not a lot of fun. Nice house though.

It only popped in my head for a second. So it could be worse then. At least you have a conservatory.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

1.0W/m2K you say. Well that puts a different slant on things ?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
They are shit. Its also compulsory that you have to have cane furniture in them if you are over 40. Dont get me f.....g started on cane furniture. Then its cushions everywhere and then.........well .

Spluttered my tea out with laughter at this post :lolol:

Here's our conservatory - the mini bar is behind the chairs.

View attachment 68364

Boy have we made it.

Have you thought of inviting [MENTION=5306]Questions[/MENTION] round for tea & biscuits?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
PM sent

EDIT - Sorry Edna, please ignore that one, it was for 8ace. I'll send you another.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Heating a conservatory under current building regulations is not allowed if its connected to the central heating system. Just as an informative for people.

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/conservatories/

Thanks for this. Strangely, we had our annual gas check today and I asked the gas man about this, when he checked the rad in the conservatory, and he had no idea at all. Obviously, this is not quite the same as building regs, but I am wondering if you have any idea why this should be. Afterall a gas installer put it in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here