Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
The question was asked in the context of what Theresa May just said, which was to stress the close ties, the "deep and special relationship", the desire for free trade with no tariffs, the shared commitment to fight illegal people smuggling from Africa, the shared security threats, the desire for a strong EU economy etc, etc.

The bit that got me was when she talked of the British people never really feeling part of Europe. I feel COMPLETELY the opposite of that and always have done, and I think she has completely misread the mood of voters under 40 who overwhelmingly voted to remain and who completely reject this 'Little England' mentality.

Not just people under 40, there are some enlightened older people who fully reject Little England.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
I don't want to seem melodramatic but saying ""we never felt at home" in the European Union is rather hurtful to many people who very much did feel 'at home' in the EU. I have lived with Europeans, worked with them, traveled in Europe. They are as much 'home' as someone from Scotland or Northern Ireland. People I know and work with. But imagine if you are European and you've made the UK your home, you've just been told you'll never truly belong here. Really rather tragic.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Have we just witnessed Mrs Mays Goverments last throw of the dice to cling onto power at all costs?
Mrs Mays speech in trying to reach out to all the factions in her party and the EU appears to be all things to all people, with the EU clearly not wanting to negotiate any deal that appears to other EU members as a good deal for the UK and with a transition deal taking us to 2020 and the next election by which time we should know the general shape of the deal and as such the political parties will be positioning themselves for what will be a rerun of the referendum, with this in mind the EU now holds all the cards

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
She can't walk a tightrope forever. Caught between a rock and a hardplace, I certainly don't envy her position. Get screwed by the EU on one side or by her Eurosceptic Mp's on the other

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
To be honest when you look at the news and see North Korea, ISIS bombers, hurricanes in the Caribbean, earthquake in Mexico etc then if long-standing friends and allies can't even stick together then the world IS truly f*cked.

I shake my head at Brexit and at a time when the EU is beginning to look outward to the world with it's new trade deals with Canada, Japan, South Korea the timing couldn't be worse.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Not just people under 40, there are some enlightened older people who fully reject Little England.

I accept that and it galls me when May speaks of the will of the British people when Brexit is completely NOT what the under-40s, Scotland, Northern Ireland, London voted for. I also see the Independent is carrying a poll that suggests opinion is 52-48 in favour of Remain.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
I accept that and it galls me when May speaks of the will of the British people when Brexit is completely NOT what the under-40s, Scotland, Northern Ireland, London voted for. I also see the Independent is carrying a poll that suggests opinion is 52-48 in favour of Remain.

If the independent is asking the same people as before then I don't doubt it. Wasn't the pre-referendum polling 46-54?

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
The question was asked in the context of what Theresa May just said, which was to stress the close ties, the "deep and special relationship", the desire for free trade with no tariffs, the shared commitment to fight illegal people smuggling from Africa, the shared security threats, the desire for a strong EU economy etc, etc.

The bit that got me was when she talked of the British people never really feeling part of Europe. I feel COMPLETELY the opposite of that and always have done, and I think she has completely misread the mood of voters under 40 who overwhelmingly voted to remain and who completely reject this 'Little England' mentality.

Most of the voters under 40 didn't even bother!

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Speaking of ambition/party before country ...Corbyn a lifelong eurosceptic campaigned to stay in then said we would be leaving the single market and that staying in wouldn't respect the referendum result then said we would stay in for as long as neccassery. Then said both things in the same interview.

Not a big Corbyn fan, but staying in as long as necessary, is not incompatible with leaving the single market.It is just not bailing out regardless of the stage of negotiations and leaving without a deal. It makes sense to me to say he would leave the market but not until there was a deal in place, and therefore stay in the market as long as was necessary. I can imagine that he might have said it in a less comprehensible manner though

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

Wells%20piece%201-01.png

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

I concur, there is also a good number of us well over 40 that feel that way too.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Have we just witnessed Mrs Mays Goverments last throw of the dice to cling onto power at all costs?
Mrs Mays speech in trying to reach out to all the factions in her party and the EU appears to be all things to all people, with the EU clearly not wanting to negotiate any deal that appears to other EU members as a good deal for the UK and with a transition deal taking us to 2020 and the next election by which time we should know the general shape of the deal and as such the political parties will be positioning themselves for what will be a rerun of the referendum, with this in mind the EU now holds all the cards

It held all the cards the day she gave notice.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Not a big Corbyn fan, but staying in as long as necessary, is not incompatible with leaving the single market.It is just not bailing out regardless of the stage of negotiations and leaving without a deal. It makes sense to me to say he would leave the market but not until there was a deal in place, and therefore stay in the market as long as was necessary. I can imagine that he might have said it in a less comprehensible manner though

The Labour party deputy leader said staying in the single market permanently was an option, numerous Labour Mp's want to ignore the referendum result entirely. Basically principles/national interest is not a factor. They are making it up as they go along and are only interested in destabilising the government enough to remove them from power.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here