Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Visting the Goldstone Ground

What's your stance of visiting the Goldstone now?

• Not bothered - I shop there without any problems

Votes: 76 37.1%
  • Now we have Falmer I will visit the site

Votes: 30 14.6%
  • Now we have Falmer I will at least drive past

Votes: 13 6.3%
  • I have never and will never shop there

Votes: 68 33.2%
  • I will never ever even go past The Goldstone - that's how much it hurts

Votes: 18 8.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Not living in Hove any more I was surprised how raw my emotions were when I drove past it for the first time in 15 years earlier this summer. Living on Hove Park through my late-childhood and early adulthood meant the Goldstone was more than just where the Albion played but part of my immediate community and yeah, the emotions came flooding back when I saw the shops there. I was away through the whole demolition and rebuilding process, so my memory is of the 1997 Goldstone ground and then straight into the retail park. No, I couldn't shop there

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Been going to the retail park almost since it opened. Shopping, lunch at Burger King and then over to Hove Park. Never had a problem with it and I don't consider myself 'bad' or 'disloyal' in any way.

Others I know feel differently and fair enough; although I'm not sure how much of the outrage is just the modern phenomena of people looking for things to get upset about.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Been going to the retail park almost since it opened. Shopping, lunch at Burger King and then over to Hove Park. Never had a problem with it and I don't consider myself 'bad' or 'disloyal' in any way.

Others I know feel differently and fair enough; although I'm not sure how much of the outrage is just the modern phenomena of people looking for things to get upset about.
I feel like you have slighted me with that.

I've felt resentment since the ground was whipped away from us.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

How modern? do you see 1997 as modern? Because surely people who hold that view will have held it since then, rather than decide in say 2015 to get outraged by the travesty which was the death of the Goldstone Ground.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I feel like you have slighted me with that.

I've felt resentment since the ground was whipped away from us.

Absolutely no offence intended, it was just an observation. There are places in my past that I don't wish to re-visit, so like I said I do understand people who genuinely still feel grief/anger even after twenty years and even considering where we are now. . My comment was more aimed at those who want to abuse fellow fans (as apparently was the case with Mendoza) for not feeling the same way.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
How modern? do you see 1997 as modern? Because surely people who hold that view will have held it since then, rather than decide in say 2015 to get outraged by the travesty which was the death of the Goldstone Ground.
Yes indeed some may have held that view undimmed by the passage of time and the progress the club has made. After all, some people still hate the Germans because of the war. I'm not convinced though that everybody who has apparently given Mendoza some stick (and I'm not on social media so I don't know) is genuine in their outrage. Some of it may even be inherited.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Absolutely no offence intended, it was just an observation. There are places in my past that I don't wish to re-visit, so like I said I do understand people who genuinely still feel grief/anger even after twenty years and even considering where we are now. . My comment was more aimed at those who want to abuse fellow fans (as apparently was the case with Mendoza) for not feeling the same way.
Oh I see, sorry.

albionalbino

Nov 1, 2009
West Sussex
I've shopped there, even before we got Falmer. As previously posted it has nothing to do with the retailers.
However, I always have and probably always will feel nostalgic for the good times and the bad. It's a place that will always be very close to my heart.
I can almost see the glare of the floodlights, hear the roar of the crowd and smell cigarettes from Currys car park.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I took Werner and Lido - the Dutch Seagulls - there back in December just to show them the site. It was cold, grey, miserable - the weather was no better. We took a wander around the place, took pictures of Hove Park, the Gold Stone, and the site from over the road.

I took them there because on a previous excursion to Hove, they'd taken photos of the lost old haunt from every angle, only to be told afterwards that what they'd actually visited was... the Greyhound Stadium.

The point is here is that they couldn't envisage a football ground ever having been there. It didn't look big enough. It did feel right to have it so tightly pack in - and that's after walking around the site. Not sure they're going to hurry back there any time soon.

brighton fella

Mar 20, 2009
i went back looking for some coins that were thrown at me from the away pen
regards
DR
:lol:Nice one.

Iv'e been back there several times since but can understand some peoples anger. disgusting how it all happened.
You don't seem to hear of Archer and Belloti these days, I wonder how the pair of c*nts are doing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here