Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dog owner help

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
That's big!

The one we pet-sat for a few times is 35kg and he's a big boy. He's approaching 2.

Not fat in the slightest though - he's come on longish runs with me over the downs and was as spritely as anything.
Yeah, mother was a working lab, father was a show dog.
Dad was huge too. You've met me yeah? The dad jumped up at me when we went to choose the pup and his front legs were on my shoulders :ohmy:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
image.jpg

Someone say dinner?

AlastairWatts

Nov 1, 2009
High Wycombe
Ah, 12 week old lab is very cute. Good luck with the eating the house thing (are you using a crate?).

Re. feeding it sounds like your boy is on a fairly posh diet at £2 a kilo dry food + fresh meat. Mrs G has just bought home "Wagg" dry food which was £8 for 15kg (this was a special price - normally £11). This seems inexpensive but is it up to the job nutritionally?

My lab/rottweiler cross thrives on Wagg complete. It scored quite well in a test reported last year. A vet once said to me 'why feed a dog tinned food when there's plenty of water in the tap' which seemed good advice. I'm also told that a dried food diet helps prevent gingivitis in later life. Good luck though - the word 'lab' indicate a continuing desire to find extra food anywhere...

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
We have a container that continually dispenses dry food all day whenever any gets eaten, so the bowl is always full. It sounds like a recipe for disaster but we've found that as the food isn't terribly exciting, they don't over-indulge. Nor do the dogs fight over it, the alpha male gets priority if they are hungry at the same time and the other is happy to wait as he knows there is always some for him. Saves a lot of effort and means they can be left at home alone all day without going hungry.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Liddle. Save £££££.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Ours have always had dry with fresh chicken, carrots, broccoli added to each meal just to liven it up. Also mix in a boiled egg or give scrambled egg once a week. You can also buy these great veg mash frozen cubes which they love especially in hot weather. But runner beans, courgette, sweet potato, jacket potato and last one also loved cucumber, these are all enjoyed. All animals like humans have their favourite foods and as long as it's not harmful and natural I try to give my dog a varied and healthy dry BASED diet (but not exclusively so). After all, we love our dog and want her to live as long as possible so why wouldn't you give them the best you can afford? And I'm really particular with treats, shops are full of bad convenience ones just as they are for us. We make quite a few home made treats instead therefore. Doesn't take long to over cook a piece of chicken after all. Pays to look after their teeth too, so give her (uncooked) bones, dental sticks and charcoal sprinkles on food occasionally too although if you can brush their teeth even better but ours is a bit of a wosse and doesn't like it. Should have started when she was a pup, like training, longer you leave harder it is!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
My lab/rottweiler cross thrives on Wagg complete. It scored quite well in a test reported last year. A vet once said to me 'why feed a dog tinned food when there's plenty of water in the tap' which seemed good advice. I'm also told that a dried food diet helps prevent gingivitis in later life. Good luck though - the word 'lab' indicate a continuing desire to find extra food anywhere...

Yep, all sound advice I'd go along with.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Word.

At the vet yesterday she gave my pup a few biscuits which he immediately inhaled.

"Most dogs don't eat them as they're used to posh treats at home", she said. "Not labs though - they'll eat anything."

Never had a lab but yes they're unquestionably the dustbins of the dog world. Cocker Spaniels a surprising 2nd or 3rd apparently , noses that can smell food - or drugs - a mile off! Our last one had a terrible cocaine habit...

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Hoping for a bit of NSC collective wisdom re. dog feeding.

We have a one year old Labrador and are trying to work out the most cost effective way to feed her in the medium term (obviously while fully meeting her dietary needs). So far she has had some dry food and some tinned meat and doesn't seem too fussy.

Any dog owners out there also counting the pennies and able to give helpful advice? Very grateful for tips.

I always find

Take them to the Ritz Hotel.

Let them choose from the A La Carte menu and pay for £500 extra for the table in the corner and their needs will be suitably met. If Katy Price sat next to you objects then simply state '' You should have booked the corner table in advance''

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
We feed our dog on Natural Instinct raw food. They come in a shedload of flavours in ice cream style tubs, so you just defrost them and scoop the food out. They provide all the nutrients a dog needs with none of the preservatives or additives that send them nuts. Also the good thing is they absorb most of the goodness, so what comes out the other end is solid and a lot less stinky than wet food.

Jahooli

Feb 12, 2008
May have already been directed here but allaboutdogfood.co.uk might give some ideas.
Another thing is that we were advised not to mix dry food with other foods in the same meal. Works for us. Very rarely get sloppy poo since following that advice.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
https://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/

This is a brilliant resource. Work out what is best for your dog based on breed, weight and age.

Petsathome, zooplus and bitiba are all good for cheap bulk buys.
Should have added you can also adjust based on budget. Some of the best known brands score very poorly for dog nutrition.

Also lots of good advice on diet, allergies etc. Finally if you change a dog's diet expect results at the other end. You need to allow a few days for things to adjust and settle down.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
May have already been directed here but allaboutdogfood.co.uk might give some ideas.
Another thing is that we were advised not to mix dry food with other foods in the same meal. Works for us. Very rarely get sloppy poo since following that advice.
This is the other big consideration! What goes in, ultimately you've got to pick up so another reason not to buy tinned food in general

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
I was a Dog Handler in the RAF and Border Force. We used Royal Canin. It's not cheap, but it's one of the best.

I have 2 retired search dogs at home, both 'working breeds', and i feed James Welbeloved 'Senior', and i buy from my local market town high street independent pet shop, because i think things like that are important.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I was a Dog Handler in the RAF and Border Force. We used Royal Canin. It's not cheap, but it's one of the best.

I have 2 retired search dogs at home, both 'working breeds', and i feed James Welbeloved 'Senior', and i buy from my local market town high street independent pet shop, because i think things like that are important.

Both brands, Royal Canin, and James Wellbeloved, are sold online via zooplus, which is why I recommended the website.

Reagulls

Jul 22, 2013
Hoping for a bit of NSC collective wisdom re. dog feeding.

We have a one year old Labrador and are trying to work out the most cost effective way to feed her in the medium term (obviously while fully meeting her dietary needs). So far she has had some dry food and some tinned meat and doesn't seem too fussy.

Any dog owners out there also counting the pennies and able to give helpful advice? Very grateful for tips.

My girlfriend is a trained pet food nutritionist of 10 years plus.
Raw food diet is the best but can work out more expensive.
A good dry food is more than adequate..
You feed them less of the better quality food as it has a higher meat content and fills them up.

Cheap stuff from Aldi and Lidl will be full of cereals with a low meat content and pass straight through them
I'd avoid wagg, bakers, pedigree etc. and take some good advice from a local pet shop.
My local pets corner in west hove has a pet food expert display with a touch screen that rates all dog foods and
let you compare qualities with daily feeding costs.

https://petfoodexpert.co.uk/

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
My girlfriend is a trained pet food nutritionist of 10 years plus.
You can ALWAYS rely on NSC....!! :)

Please pass on thanks for the excellent information and advice.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here