Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'Obscure" US TV choices - recommendations please

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
Ive just binged all of series one and it doesn't disappoint, in fact it hits heights that Breaking Bad took 3 seasons to reach. The Snells are redneck villains who make Tuco Salamanca look like a playground bully.

Did you know that it was created by Mark Williams who was once a tv producer on Casualty.

Thats mad lol Didnt the main guy in the show 'Marty' also produce it?

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Ozark on Netflix, imo the best tv series since Breaking Bad and it has the potential to be even better.

That is, quite simply, a great shout. Like others here, have just done episode one and cannot see myself getting to bed tonight before midnight. Great to see recognisable faces in an utterly unfamiliar scenario, and then pretty much forget to recognise them again. Ace.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm in, 2 down, so far so good.

I'm hoping it can balance a fair few twists and turns without disappearing up it's own bottom.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Did anyone stick with Better Call Saul?

Have just watched all three seasons, and it grew better and better.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Did anyone stick with Better Call Saul?

Have just watched all three seasons, and it grew better and better.

The third season started agonisingly slowly, and we rested from it for a few weeks. Episode 2 picked things up a tad, so we will return to it, but it seems as if that'll be on and off.

The Ozarks isn't bad. A few episodes in and it's humorous and fiendish enough. Will see how it develops to keep even a flash of genuineness to it though.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Here's a proper obscure one for you, The Guest Book:-

I'm afraid it's for those of us with Kodi.
Greg Garcia's new comedy, he of My Name Is Earl fame.

It's a good set up, a little reminiscent of Number 9 only nowhere near as dark, but nevertheless it's funny and quirky.

Leegull

Apr 7, 2016
Just spotted that - Last Chance U, Season 2 - has been released on Netflix. Really enjoyed Season 1. Thoroughly recommended.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Here's a proper obscure one for you, The Guest Book:-

I'm afraid it's for those of us with Kodi.
Greg Garcia's new comedy, he of My Name Is Earl fame.

It's a good set up, a little reminiscent of Number 9 only nowhere near as dark, but nevertheless it's funny and quirky.
I watched the 3 available on Kodi last night and you are correct, funny and quirky. If you fancy light entertainment, this does it. Good spot.

Sent from my XT1072 using Tapatalk

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Discovered a couple airing on SyFy.

Midnight,Texas - A Psychic moves to Midnight, Texas makes friends with a vampire and a witch and a couple of others. Supernatural action. I've only seen the first episode so far. Has potential.

Blood Drive - A grindhouse style show that I believe is an anthology style thing, different story each week. Only seen adverts, but am looking forward to it.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Did anyone stick with Better Call Saul? Have just watched all three seasons, and it grew better and better.

They're going for 5 series of it and I will be sad when it's finished. Heck, I've been sad at the end of each series so far, wonderful stuff.

I just did Ozark. Probably just me, but bits of the plot defied belief even more than usual. For those that haven't seen it, I won't give examples.

I really liked this - because it started at 100mph I'm not sure how far it can go. Plus, anything these days that has teenage daughters flouncing off in huffs seemingly at the drop of a hat (see also Homeland) really tests my staying power. A tremendous collection of villains and wrong 'uns though.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
Not really Obscure but 'Power' is awesome, half way through the last series.

Just finished S2 or 'Last Chance U', which is as a poster above pointed out is a great watch. 'Ozarks' was a great find too.

Im giving 'Secrete of Lies' ago, its suppose to have lots of twists and turns.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
"American Gods" has just kicked off out here. Interesting mix of sci-fi, supernatural and horror.

Ian McShane pretty much stole the first episode

On your say so I watched the first episode.
Before I watch the second, I have one tiny little question to ask:-

'What the fook was that all about'?

Did you stick it out??

I'm 3 episodes in and still wondering WTF is going on.

Have gone a bit Netflix/Amazon mad this summer.

Better Call Saul (Netflix), slow going to start off (a bit like Breaking Bad), end of season two is cracking. Season 3 a bit slow going at times but worth a watch and I'm looking forward to the 4th season.

Ozark (Netflix), very watchable. Not sure I can see it becoming better than Breaking Bad though.

Narcos (Netflix), superb!!

Vikings (Amazon), very watchable only criticism is it was a bit samey at times.

Orange is the new black season 5 (Netflix), crap! First and second season were good. Third season was rubbish. Fourth season redeemed itself but season 5 was undid all the good work again.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Did you stick it out??

I'm 3 episodes in and still wondering WTF is going on.

Have gone a bit Netflix/Amazon mad this summer.

Better Call Saul (Netflix), slow going to start off (a bit like Breaking Bad), end of season two is cracking. Season 3 a bit slow going at times but worth a watch and I'm looking forward to the 4th season.

Ozark (Netflix), very watchable. Not sure I can see it becoming better than Breaking Bad though.

Narcos (Netflix), superb!!

Vikings (Amazon), very watchable only criticism is it was a bit samey at times.

Orange is the new black season 5 (Netflix), crap! First and second season were good. Third season was rubbish. Fourth season redeemed itself but season 5 was undid all the good work again.

Nope, I think I got to where you are now, but by this point it was only because Gillian Anderson made an appearance, and let's face it 'you never know' :wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here