Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

21 mile walk...

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
I have a 1.5 mile walk from Victoria to work, for which I reward myself with a nice Latte and a sit down. I have found my level...

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
Summer 2013, I realised I had nothing planned one Saturday and, waking early, just decided to set off for Eastbourne. It's about 17 miles from where I live on the southern edge of Lewes, via Southease, Firle Beacon and Alfriston. I do a fair bit of walking on the Downs and have decent boots. I made it fine but was weary and stiff by the end around 3pm. Luckily, my missus drove over to buy me ice cream and tea at Holywell caff and, more importantly, tipped me in the car and brought me home.

So yeah, go for it.

PG
I'm doing almost that walk in two weeks time: Falmer to Alfriston in my case. I'm just hoping the weather is nice...

Jimmy Come Lately

Registered Loser
Oct 27, 2011
Hove
21 miles is a bit longer than I'd do on a whim (as in just get up and go) because it would probably be the Amberley to Devil's Dyke stretch of the SDW and I'd need to plan an early-ish start to get the train out to Amberley. But I might decide the night before.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Comfy trainers, fully charged iPod, bag full of snacks...yeah. Why not?

I much prefer trainers to walking Boots for long walks. Unless you're doing some serious slopes trainers are better I think. Certainly more comfortable when on the Downs.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I much prefer trainers to walking Boots for long walks. Unless you're doing some serious slopes trainers are better I think. Certainly more comfortable when on the Downs.

Agreed.

I did my Mountain leader training at Glenmore Lodge (Aviemore - Cairngorms) many years ago and the instructor wore sandals all week. I actually do a lot of walking in (Keen) sandals nowadays.

I think 21 miles is more than I'd do on a whim, to be honest, but it's not beyond the realm of possibility.

The most I've done in a day is probably about 60 miles along the Downs (competing in the event I now run - see my signature). That took a little under 16 hours. Doubt I could even complete it now!

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
Works the other way as well though - doing flat courses usually ends up hurting way more than those that involves hills for equivalent time on feet (accepting I'll cover a bit less distance in the same time over hills/offroad). Greater variety of muscles need to be used, resulting in less damage/fatigue to specific areas.

This, defiantly this!

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I did the South Downs Way a couple of years ago (much of it with my very best friend). A wise lady at the start in Winchester said "Remember to stop and look back - you get a whole new view each time".

It sounds obvious but she's right. It is great advice - and on every long walk I've done since (can recommend The Hangars Way in Hampshire for a short two day special) I've heeded her advice and be rewarded many times.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Agreed.

I did my Mountain leader training at Glenmore Lodge (Aviemore - Cairngorms) many years ago and the instructor wore sandals all week. I actually do a lot of walking in (Keen) sandals nowadays.

I think 21 miles is more than I'd do on a whim, to be honest, but it's not beyond the realm of possibility.

The most I've done in a day is probably about 60 miles along the Downs (competing in the event I now run - see my signature). That took a little under 16 hours. Doubt I could even complete it now!

What a fantastic looking event. Tempted to join the Scouts just so I can do it !

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I did the South Downs Way a couple of years ago (much of it with my very best friend). A wise lady at the start in Winchester said "Remember to stop and look back - you get a whole new view each time".

It sounds obvious but she's right. It is great advice - and on every long walk I've done since (can recommend The Hangars Way in Hampshire for a short two day special) I've heeded her advice and be rewarded many times.

That's a really good point, though walking the same route several times also gives a different "view" each time.

One thing I often wonder about the South Downs Way is if I'd recognise any of it if I walked East to West. I've only ever walked Eastwards!

Last edited:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
**** it. I'm getting the bus to Eastbourne. Visit the Ravilious exhibition at the Towner. Then walking under Airbourne, over Beachy Head, 7 Sisters, Seaford Head and bus home.

It was either that or acting out the whores thread.........

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
**** it. I'm getting the bus to Eastbourne. Visit the Ravilious exhibition at the Towner. Then walking under Airbourne, over Beachy Head, 7 Sisters, Seaford Head and bus home.

It was either that or acting out the whores thread.........

If I wasn't snowed under with meetings I'd join you :down:

snedger

Jun 13, 2011
I try to do at least one marathon walk per year - that's walking to the coop and eating 26 snickers.
Nah, like to do a 26 miler on a fasting day, usually at the end I have a couple of pints and the carb rush is really odd.
Last big walk was Enderby to Coventry, 23 miles, but used to walk with Brighton Ramblers and they do at least one mega walk per year.
Might try and walk to Nottingham or Derby from Lestah.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here