• Yes

Votes: 58 47.5%
  • No

Votes: 64 52.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
what you're highlighting is that its a negative act, voting against something instead of for something.
I am a Labour supporter. I think they have the best policies.

By voting FOR Stephen Lloyd (Lib Dem) in Eastbourne I am voting FOR a greater likelihood of policies I prefer being enacted in Westminster.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Prinicipally because the proposed alternative had such little credibility, presented poorly. They voted against ATV, not necessarily for FPTP.
Comes to the same thing. We voted to keep status quo.

I think you've read that entirely wrong.
Au contraire. I am absolutely convinced that I have read it exactly right; the logic is irrefutable. A vast majority of MPs are remainers, many of them desperate to stay in the EU if they can find a way. Anything other than a Tory government will worm its way out of implementing the democratic decision of the people last summer.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It will never happen though, the SNP are keeping the Tories in power at Westminster. That's the reality

True. Labour lost every seat they had in Scotland.

Mims, short for Miriam, how frightfully upper middle class, blue rinse, right wing, Conservative.

My friends have a daughter called Miriam, and call her Mim. They live in Whitehawk, definitely not middle class.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Sorry, draw the line at voting for a party I don't believe in, however tactical. Would far rather spoil my voting paper. Or just stay in bed.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

By voting FOR Stephen Lloyd (Lib Dem) in Eastbourne I am voting FOR a greater likelihood of policies I prefer being enacted in Westminster.

Sorry, draw the line at voting for a party I don't believe in, however tactical. Would far rather spoil my voting paper. Or just stay in bed.

As per the post quoted above, that vote is still FOR your chosen party's policies being implemented.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

good for you. that wasn't what was written though, the proposition was "voting to keep out the 1 party you don't like" was still democratic. i dont disagree, just noting its a negative form of the process.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

I've deliberately set out to spoil my voting paper more than once in the past too. People tell me that I have wasted my vote, but I think in doing so, it is making the biggest statement of all.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Au contraire. I am absolutely convinced that I have read it exactly right; the logic is irrefutable. A vast majority of MPs are remainers, many of them desperate to stay in the EU if they can find a way. Anything other than a Tory government will worm its way out of implementing the democratic decision of the people last summer.

With the fear you keep peddling if we don't keep a Tory government, anyone would think you ran the remain campaign!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Nope. The Tory team will go in, cock up the negotiations (they're already playing to the UKIP crowd), come back with some awful, and then default to an even worse set of trading rules.

The 'people' don't make the laws in the UK, Parliament does, which is why it's vital that the final deal gets Parliamentary approval. There are no circumstances by which the UK will be better off outside the EU, so 'the democratic decision of the people' has to take its place way behind what is ultimately best for the UK.

It was a referendum, which is advisory, and the whole thing was a farce from start to finish. There was nothing in statute which stated we should have gone down this road.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
With the fear you keep peddling if we don't keep a Tory government, anyone would think you ran the remain campaign!
Hmm....had to think about that for a bit! I think, though, that my concerns that a majority of Westminster MPs would very much like us not to Brexit if they could find a way round it is way more realistic than all that Project Fear guff about instantaneous financial collapse on referendum day plus one, and the mass exodus of the City of London to destinations on mainland Europe!
I can't quote exact figures, but I'm pretty sure that among MPs the vote was something like 3 to 1, or more, in favour of remain.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Hmm....had to think about that for a bit! I think, though, that my concerns that a majority of Westminster MPs would very much like us not to Brexit if they could find a way round it is way more realistic than all that Project Fear guff about instantaneous financial collapse on referendum day plus one, and the mass exodus of the City of London to destinations on mainland Europe!
I can't quote exact figures, but I'm pretty sure that among MPs the vote was something like 3 to 1, or more, in favour of remain.

I think the votes for article 50 were pretty conclusive though were they not, from both main parties?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
That's the direct opposite of what David Cameron, the instigator of the referendum, said on TV to the whole British public on the day before the vote.

Bully for him.

A referendum is, by definition, advisory. As I said, the 'people' can only decide on who their representative in Parliament is. The 'people' cannot make the laws, only Parliament can.

Unless extra articles are written into the Bill indicating that the result will trigger the next part of said Bill that enshrines it in law, then it doesn't become law. None were in this instance. This was one of the central arguments of Gina Miller's court case, which of course she won. Because that's the law. The fact you're querying that implies you didn't know that. Worrying.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Nope. The Tory team will go in, cock up the negotiations (they're already playing to the UKIP crowd), come back with some awful, and then default to an even worse set of trading rules.

dont the EU have some say in that?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here