Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OT - Emergency flight to the States

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
This. I have some amusing stories of trying to get into the US. My big tip is never travel without luggage. This sets off alarm bells.

Yep. I'll add a couple:

Never complain to the customs person about the queue
Never diss the US to them - in any way at all
Be exceedingly polite to them - use "Sir" or "Ma'am" in a non-condescending way; that'll help
Look them in the eye - they don't like shiftiness

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Cisco is a well known US company so it does not qualify under this definition.

But a business can't buy directly from Cisco - you have to buy from a partner. This client brought from us not Cisco in the same way you can't buy a BMW directly from BMW ( note I picked that example just for you :wink: ).

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Cisco is a well known US company so it does not qualify under this definition.

Hmmm. Dependes on how they define "company". Of course the ultimate holding company is a US company, but the trading subsidiary from who the US client bought the kit might well be foreign (UK or Ireland perhaps)...

EDIT: just seen the reply from Westdene - yep, a foreign (to the US) VAR would also work.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
But a business can't buy directly from Cisco - you have to buy from a partner. This client brought from us not Cisco in the same way you can't buy a BMW directly from BMW ( note I picked that example just for you :wink: ).

I hear you. This is a little bit out of my knowledge zone but my gut feeling is they will say no. To them this is just semantics as these phones are American, very well known, and there must be engineers in the states who can do this work.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
I've traveled to Boston, DC, Orlando, Vegas and NY many times with my ESTA visa waiver, never had an issue, I always state that my visit is for work. Almost all my trips are between 2-5 days. I usually get asked why I am going I just say Im working for a US company and visiting their offices.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I hear you. This is a little bit out of my knowledge zone but my gut feeling is they will say no. To them this is just semantics as these phones are American, very well known, and there must be engineers in the states who can do this work.

Under the description that Westdene's text provides, they shouldn't say "no", imo; providing, of course, that the text came from a reliable source(!). That said, the customs official has ultimate power and, under ESTA, there's no right of appeal.

So, if you get an official who doesn't know the details of what's acceptable, or who got out of bed the wrong side that day, or who just plain doesn't like the look of the applicant, they could say "no" and there'd be nothing you could do about it.

One way around it, would be simply to say "meetings with a client" (which is the truth, but not the whole truth). But then you have the problem of asking someone to be economical with the truth to a US law enforcement officer - not good.

If the installation is required under the PO, how come it's an emergency situation?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Under the description that Westdene's text provides, they shouldn't say "no", imo; providing, of course, that the text came from a reliable source(!). That said, the customs official has ultimate power and, under ESTA, there's no right of appeal.

So, if you get an official who doesn't know the details of what's acceptable, or who got out of bed the wrong side that day, or who just plain doesn't like the look of the applicant, they could say "no" and there'd be nothing you could do about it.

One way around it, would be simply to say "meetings with a client" (which is the truth, but not the whole truth). But then you have the problem of asking someone to be economical with the truth to a US law enforcement officer - not good.

If the installation is required under the PO, how come it's an emergency situation?

The text came from a US State Department document from travel.state.gov.

It's an emergency because their old system has gone down and as they were going to have the new one installed in about six weeks time they've decided to bite the bullet and bring the new one forward rather than mess about trying to fix the old system.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
The text came from a US State Department document from travel.state.gov.

It's an emergency because their old system has gone down and as they were going to have the new one installed in about six weeks time they've decided to bite the bullet and bring the new one forward rather than mess about trying to fix the old system.

Yep - both fair enough.

I'd be inclined to send the engineer with a printout of that text from the State Department and to tell the whole truth. They should, imo, get in and if not, show the text which should change their mind. Don't let them wave it in front of the officer unless they're about to reject the engineer though, that'll just pish them off.

EDIT: oh - and send them with a copy of the PO demonstrating that installation is a requirement of the contract, and with proof that they work for a foreign company - a business card is fine. If they don't have one, a copy of their latest payslip will do too.

Last edited:

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Complete left field question for those that know about getting into the States.

I need to get an engineer to the States tomorrow - he will either be English or Icelandic ( haven't decide which one to send yet ). Is it possible to just buy a flight and deal with entry visas the other end or must he have a visa before travelling ? And yes, I'm checking with the American Embassy but getting through appears to be difficult so I thought I'd ask NSC in the meantime.

How long he going to stay ? if its just short term , a week or so then he can go on an Esta vidsa done on line ,, can tell immigration its a business trip no prob

Codner pharmaceuticals

Jun 17, 2009
Border Country
How long is he planning to go there. I flight out "on business" working in my normal job that requires visits to the US 4 or 5 times a year. If he is planning to be permanently in the US working or for a long duration then ESTA won't cover it.

As for the last minute issue it doesn't make a difference. I have done it the day before when it ran out.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So. What happened?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
His engineer is now wearing an orange jumpsuit, being waterboarded.

Ha. I forgot to ask if his engineer had a tan or a funny name or worse. This would have been a definite no.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
If it helps, you are definitely able to work after entering on an ESTA, I am doing so right now and do so on a regular basis and am always asked by the immigration officers.....

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
You hear so many horror stories of US Immigration Officials giving potential entrants a hard time because a red flag has been raised. However: On my last four visits to the states, all through Dallas, I've received nothing but impeccable courtesy without any grilling or third degree. No rudeness whatsoever.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here