Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A passing thought

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Simple down the side of where the long row of stewards were sitting.on the lower east and next to the family in the south.

Yesterday was said to be a complete sell out and the attendance was recorded at 29469 some 1291 short of maximum and at approx £30 a seat that is £37k and over a season that would make a large indent in our annual losses some where near 10% ish. This is based on sell out each game I know.

'Sell-out' in the entertainment and leisure industry doesn't always mean '100% of tickets sold'. It's often anything over 97% or so, accounting for no-shows and returns.

The last home tickets sold are usually in the souht west corner. Somewhere where you don't advocate a fence. So what's you point? Aside from wishing to treat fans like shit?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Why do we have and pay for about 30 stewards positioned at each end of the away supporters and lose about 250 seats through segregation. Why not revert back to 8ft fences at each end of just vertical bars so unable to climb and reduce the number of stewards to 3 or 4 to stop any that try to climb it. It is not really caged in as was in the 70s. In the case of an emergency they could still go on the pitch I may be wrong but to me it makes financial sense.

It's only the cretins of West Ham and Chelsea that highlighted the need of segregation fencing BG, I guess?
Just because a minority want to spoil things, doesn't mean that it'll happen at the Amex.
Most fans get on nowadays, even at the game on Saturday the Norwich fans still chatted in a friendly way.
Stewards are needed, in my opinion, you cannot go to a fence if you need assistance.
It's old school, especially when safe standing comes into fruition, where I am sure it will be monitored under great scrutiny, probably due to the Hillsborough disaster, due to crushing, where supporters were not able to escape.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Why do we have and pay for about 30 stewards positioned at each end of the away supporters and lose about 250 seats through segregation. Why not revert back to 8ft fences at each end of just vertical bars so unable to climb and reduce the number of stewards to 3 or 4 to stop any that try to climb it. It is not really caged in as was in the 70s. In the case of an emergency they could still go on the pitch I may be wrong but to me it makes financial sense.

the club are no doubt being dictated to/ bullied by the OB re adequate segregation...........they will have no leverage to get the situation relaxed until all the "phantom" st holders turn up and fill their seats.........disappointing to see so many empties at what was officially announced as a sell out.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Is it a fifa thing....how did we get those gates over 30,000 more importantly why was Arsenal &(30278 current record for football) allowed 700 extra seats the 2nd time they came down,4450 as opposed to 3800 the first time.

Because they are allocated 15% of the capacity, and the overall capacity increased in the period between the two matches?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Right. And fans should be insulted and treated like shit for what reason?
Just while we're whizzing along the hyperbole of shock, horror, being treated like shit.......

.............please just explain how some sort of physical barrier between two stands (not in front stopping egress to the pitch in emergencies - we're not talking 80s/90s pens here, or anything like that; good riddance to those!) is more offensive than a line of surly low paid blokes in high viz jackets, with radio contact to the waiting OB to come in and sort out anyone trying to move across the line?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Just while we're whizzing along the hyperbole of shock, horror, being treated like shit.......

.............please just explain how some sort of physical barrier between two stands (not in front stopping egress to the pitch in emergencies - we're not talking 80s/90s pens here, or anything like that; good riddance to those!) is more offensive than a line of surly low paid blokes in high viz jackets, with radio contact to the waiting OB to come in and sort out anyone trying to move across the line?

Do you mean those surly low paid blokes in high viz jackets who have helped save at least a couple of lives at the Amex with their knowledge of first aid and CPR? Those who got to the fans before medical help arrived from elsewhere in the stadium?

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
While the changes put in place post Hillsborough are rightfully being re-examined when it comes to safe standing and, perhaps, drinking alcohol while watching a match I think fences in football grounds belong in the past. Plus they would probably ruin the site lines of several seats and would no doubt need an exclusion zone either side anyway.

Every venue has a maximum capacity governed by the safety certificate but production demands can bring it down and football is no different.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market

These are people, who are trained, who help people with information, are perfectly reasonable to talk to - like regular people are - and above and beyond that have helped save lives. The fact you find their so-called surliness and level of pay offensive says more about you than it does about them.

I guess with you asking a question like that means you're only capable of the same level of conversation with a steward as you are with a metal barrier.

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
The OP, although getting some abuse on here, does bring up a valid point on the segregation issue. If you look at many top clubs there is no gap between home and away fans, just a line of stewards. Arsenal, Spurs, Man U, Man C, in fact the vast majority of prem clubs and some in our own division. Even 'high risk' games involving these clubs (including derby games) don't see any changes. It has been explained before that the segregation can be reduced over time as the stadium shows it can effectively manage itself. But it is a longish process. Our stadium has been open now for 5 years and so surely we should be getting close to a position where segregation can be minimized as with other clubs that see little or no issues at their stadia (not you WHU). I often wonder whether we are held back by the fact that Sussex Police (and I used to work for them) have only ourselves and now Crawley and just don't have the experience of managing this type of issue. I believe if the Met were responsible for oversight of our games, segregation would be on a par with other clubs.

It may just be that the club doesn't have to worry about this yet due to the fact that we haven't really had many complete sell out games, and areas next to away supporters are generally the last to sell anyway. But that could change soon if things continue as they are and next year could be a sell out for every game. (he hopes!). I would hope this is something that is being reviewed in preparation...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The OP, although getting some abuse on here, does bring up a valid point on the segregation issue. If you look at many top clubs there is no gap between home and away fans, just a line of stewards. Arsenal, Spurs, Man U, Man C, in fact the vast majority of prem clubs and some in our own division. Even 'high risk' games involving these clubs (including derby games) don't see any changes. It has been explained before that the segregation can be reduced over time as the stadium shows it can effectively manage itself. But it is a longish process. Our stadium has been open now for 5 years and so surely we should be getting close to a position where segregation can be minimized as with other clubs that see little or no issues at their stadia (not you WHU). I often wonder whether we are held back by the fact that Sussex Police (and I used to work for them) have only ourselves and now Crawley and just don't have the experience of managing this type of issue. I believe if the Met were responsible for oversight of our games, segregation would be on a par with other clubs.

It may just be that the club doesn't have to worry about this yet due to the fact that we haven't really had many complete sell out games, and areas next to away supporters are generally the last to sell anyway. But that could change soon if things continue as they are and next year could be a sell out for every game. (he hopes!). I would hope this is something that is being reviewed in preparation...

Very good reply that was obviously well thought out and hits the nail on the head.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Do you mean those surly low paid blokes in high viz jackets who have helped save at least a couple of lives at the Amex with their knowledge of first aid and CPR? Those who got to the fans before medical help arrived from elsewhere in the stadium?

No, not those ones! :) Just the rest (and I'm not just limiting this to the Amex). I apologise if I've offended the good ones. Of course we will always need stewards at football grounds, for the good purposes which you point out, and for general customer service - but whether using them as a human shield to stop two lots of fans fighting is the best answer, I'm still not sure I agree.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Are you taking into account (amongst other things) non-attending STH's?

Also it's a bit of a leap to base your calculations on selling out every game- something that isn't going to happen outside of the Prem

You're also not taking into account loss of revenue from not being able to re-sell away tickets to home fans

It's almost like this hasn't been thought through properly isn't it.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
No, not those ones! :) Just the rest (and I'm not just limiting this to the Amex). I apologise if I've offended the good ones. Of course we will always need stewards at football grounds, for the good purposes which you point out, and for general customer service - but whether using them as a human shield to stop two lots of fans fighting is the best answer, I'm still not sure I agree.

That's all I had between me and the Boro fans in May, no netting. Some of them weren't even stewards, but event staff. I know I'm an old dear, but there were plenty of men around on both sides, who could've caused trouble, but didn't. Most of us were too busy watching the match and abusing Mike Dean.

Jan 30, 2008
stewards, don't you just love them, bit of easy money on a Saturday for some of them
regards
DR

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
No! No return to fences. I fell in love with the netting after it out-witted the Millwall thugs.

And do we really want the Met policing our games (as suggested by Miami Seagull)? Think that would improve things eh? The Met still police games like it was 1979 as evidenced by our trip to Charlton last season.

Think we are better off with our PC Daz who does a cracking job (although somewhat let down by the over-policing of the game on Saturday. Presumably they were all getting their overtime in for Xmas. And attack dogs on the platform after the game? Only seen that twice before: Arsenal and Millwall. And Norwich certainly aint either of them. What a waste of money).

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Topped with razors (perhaps not) ?

Nah. Surely topped with broken green bottles and pieces of razor sharp flint partially obscured by uneven cement? ???

Just like the good ol' days eh BG?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Nah. Surely topped with broken green bottles and pieces of razor sharp flint partially obscured by uneven cement? ???

Just like the good ol' days eh BG?

O/T I had a flat roof on one of my pubs that made it easy to get to the living quarters when we were open and I wanted to to put some non setting solution on it with broken bottles inlaid but was told if a burglar cut himself I would be liable despite the fact that he shouldnt have been up there in the first place.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here