Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Another EMBARRASSING Tory U turn

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Apr 5, 2014
That was the policy that was non-negotiable.

Chose a good day to let the news slip out.

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm sorry, I'm tory....they play in blue as well:albion2:

All very well telling us with the anonymity the Internet provides. Do you have the balls to tell your friends and family this as well?

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
All very well telling us with the anonymity the Internet provides. Do you have the balls to tell your friends and family this as well?

Absolutely, though I'm very conservative with my views when it becomes a slanging match:bla:
Honestly, who really gives a hoot about politics. They all think they can do better than the opposition. Put them in power and they all implode....except for the bunnyhuggers, they were away with the fairies beforehand

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not specifically this issue but why are all government policy changes, irrespective of the party in question, embarrassing u-turns?

Is it really so bad for a government, for whatever reason, to change it's policy, esp after it didn't sit well with the electorate?

Surely that has to be considerably better than the alternative, a government believing it's always right.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Not specifically this issue but why are all government policy changes, irrespective of the party in question, embarrassing u-turns?

Is it really so bad for a government, for whatever reason, to change it's policy, esp after it didn't sit well with the electorate?

Surely that has to be considerably better than the alternative, a government believing it's always right.

In principle, you're right.
But this instance isn't the right time to invoke that principle. This is because the forced academisation is the epitome of an ideological crusade. There was no evidence for the policy -- if anything, that collated thus far points in the opposite direction -- and there was huge hostility towards it from head teachers, teachers, other practitioners, academic research, parents, community groups, amongst several other groups. My son's school didn't just disagree with it, but resolved to actively campaign against it, which is quite some move.
So, this is a quite clear and delicious climbdown and is testament to the value of resisting the seemingly inexorable agenda that forced academisation is but a part of: one that celebrates and repeatedly affirms choice, while simultaneously insisting that There Is No Alternative (TINA).

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
this is good news, so lets applaud the decision to change thier mind over something that had little support. junior doctors next? (not sure Hunt has the humility, would have to go first).

We are very fortunate that there is a STRONG opposition holding them to account otherwise who knows what will be next.

yes, the Tory back benchers are doing a good job so far.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
yes, the Tory back benchers are doing a good job so far.
oh yes, the good old Tories...

Bollocks to them. The only reason they might suggest some handbrakes to the right wing ideological lunacy is because they know there is a credible alternative view being forcefully put to the public by politicians of real integrity on the opposition benches.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
It is what happens when you have a crackpot bunch of toffs chucking right wing ideology at the wall and seeing what sticks.

We are very fortunate that there is a STRONG opposition holding them to account otherwise who knows what will be next.

Then vote Labour. Yes Corbyn would overspend in Government. Yes he would turn Capitalism on its head. Yes he would upset right wing activists and I could list more BUT for 4 years minority groups would be supported. Poor and disabled families would have a little bit more to live on and kids would grow up in a more equilibrium society but I would rather have that than rich or semi rich be able be able to run 2 cars than just the one.

Lawro's Lip

Feb 14, 2004
West Kent

Whatever happened to finding out what people think , building some consensus and then announcing what you plan to do?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

That's what I was thinking. People demand a Govt back track on what they see as a divisive policy. The Govt (of the time) listen to the people and reverse a decision and the same people are up in arms about how spineless they are. I'll never understand politics and neither will those that moan at every decision made.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here