he peepees on his boots
he makes love like a footballer
he dribbles before he shoots
the goings on at the gang-bang ball
made the citizen's tut-tut-tut
but, what do you care, piss all
you tell 'em psycle sluts

Flex Your Head

The man is just fantastic. He can do 'chat' brilliantly too, and the two Chain Reaction programmes he was on (being interviewed by Hooky from New Order, and then interviewing the tip-top Kevin Eldon) are both hilarious and genuinely interesting.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0132pv7

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01390bf

It's a great programme, Chain Reaction, with some wonderful pairings:

Chain Reaction is Radio 4's tag-team interview show. Each week, a figure from the world of entertainment chooses another to interview; the next week, the interviewee turns interviewer, and they in turn pass the baton on to someone else - creating a 'chain' throughout the series.

After Rhys Thomas interviewed Simon Day, Simon interviewed the musician and author Peter Hook. This week, Peter interviews a fellow Salfordian, the punk poet laureate John Cooper Clarke. Coming to prominence during the punk years of the late 70s, Clarke would appear on the bill with The Sex Pistols, The Buzzcocks, and Peter's own Joy Division - and Peter's next band, New Order, would support John on a tour of New Zealand and Australia. The interview takes in their shared Salford heritage, doing adverts in the 1980s, and John's recent appearance on the GCSE English syllabus.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006sf81/episodes/guide

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Quality bard. And a great look. They don't call him the Human Pipecleaner for nothing.
Actually maybe that's just me.
But he could hide in a bag of Twiglets.
Apart from the hair.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
He was a poet but because he was "discovered " in about 1978 he is known as the Punk Poet, lucky he wasn't discovered in the 90's or he would have just been a poet.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I love his work.

Saw him at the Top Rank back in the 70s and at the Dome last year, when he was more of a stand-up comedian than a poet.

Very funny and very clever. :thumbsup:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I was listening to his show on 6Music and he seems to have a Savillesque delivery behind the mike.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
Once had breakfast with him when appearing in a documentary called 'Do you believe in Mod?' He's the Ace Face and told me I had a fantastic pair of trousers - still buzzing from that over 15 years later. Claims his proudest moment is having Chicken Town as closing tune for the final Sopranos.

Govinda Tim

Apr 13, 2012
Brighton
John Cooper Clarke (1949-)

(I Married A) Monster From Outer Space

The milky way she walks around
All feet firmly off the ground
Two worlds collide, two worlds collide
Here comes the future bride
Gimme a lift to the lunar base
I wanna marry a monster from outer space

I fell in love with an alien being
[She had a head as big as a TV screen]
Whose skin was jelly, whose teeth were green
[A glutinous complexion with a day-glow sheen]
She had the big bug eyes and the death-ray glare
Feet like water-wings, purple hair
I was over the moon, I asked her back to my place
And then I married the monster from outer space

The days were numbered, the nights were spent
In a rent-free furnished oxygen tent
Where a cyborg chef served up moonbeams
Done super-rapid on a laser beam
I needed nutrition to keep up the pace
When I married the monster from outer space

But when we went walking tentacle in hand
You could sense that the earthlings would not understand
They'd go nudge nudge when we got on the bus
Saying "It's extra-terrestial, not like us;
And it's bad enough with another race,
But **** me... a monster! from outer space?"

In this kind of atmosphere love went lame
She took a flare to from where she came
I read all the papers, looked up the stars
"Uranus is active and so is Mars"
My horoscope was horrible, told me to my face -
Avoid monsters from outer space

In a cybernetic fit of rage
She pissed off to another age
She lives in 1999
With her new boyfriend, a blob of slime
Each time I see a translucent face
I remember Errrrxxzztt from outer space

Seagulls over Essex

Jun 4, 2004
Leigh-on-Sea
Got all of his stuff, Beasley street is one of the best songs about the UK in the late 70s early 80s. With lyrics like "Sir Keith Joseph smiles and baby dies in a box on Beasley Street"

One of the great come back line after being Heckled... Someone in the crowd shouts something, JCC comes back with “can’t hear you mate cause your mouths full of shit!”

"Shut yer mouth and give yer brain a chance!"
"I can't hear yer mate yer mouth's full of shit!"

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Good programme about him on telly recently (Sky Arts, BBC4???). Went to a party he was at in the late 70's and he was more off his face than I was, which took some doing in those days. Going to see him at the de la Warr later this year.

Highly recommended.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have seen him supporting The Fall and listen to him on Radio 6 occasionally. Highly entertaining. Arctic Monkeys have reworked his poem I Wanna Be Yours on their current long player. Alex Turner is clearly influenced by his style.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I'd never heard of him until coming across this little number at the end of an episode of The Sopranos...

[video=vimeo;59137200]http://vimeo.com/59137200[/video]

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
ah the bard of Salford, love him - "I was ankle deep in human waste, my toilet had been clogged, marrowbone jelly all over the place, I don't even have a dog" The Day My Pad Went Mad from the awesome NME C:81 compilation tape . That Arctic Monkeys album closer ain't half bad either.....

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Seen him about eight times over the years since the early 80's. The first time I saw him, he was the opening act for New Order. Would have been nine, but during a period in the mid eighties when he had a serious drug problem, he was so wasted, he wasn't able to come on stage for a gig in Eastbourne.

Seriously clever and sharp witted. Smallest gig I ever saw him play was the basement at Sweet Fanny Adams down West Street over 10 years ago. He seems to have come to the forefront of public awareness more after being in the shadows of sub culture for several years and has started playing larger venues again.

As I mentioned earlier, he's at The De La Warr Pavilion in Bexhill on the 19th April. Make a change from tea dances and whist drives or whatever they usually hold there!

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
The man is just fantastic. He can do 'chat' brilliantly too, and the two Chain Reaction programmes he was on (being interviewed by Hooky from New Order, and then interviewing the tip-top Kevin Eldon) are both hilarious and genuinely interesting.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0132pv7

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01390bf

It's a great programme, Chain Reaction, with some wonderful pairings:

Chain Reaction is Radio 4's tag-team interview show. Each week, a figure from the world of entertainment chooses another to interview; the next week, the interviewee turns interviewer, and they in turn pass the baton on to someone else - creating a 'chain' throughout the series.

After Rhys Thomas interviewed Simon Day, Simon interviewed the musician and author Peter Hook. This week, Peter interviews a fellow Salfordian, the punk poet laureate John Cooper Clarke. Coming to prominence during the punk years of the late 70s, Clarke would appear on the bill with The Sex Pistols, The Buzzcocks, and Peter's own Joy Division - and Peter's next band, New Order, would support John on a tour of New Zealand and Australia. The interview takes in their shared Salford heritage, doing adverts in the 1980s, and John's recent appearance on the GCSE English syllabus.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006sf81/episodes/guide

It's my favourite R4 prog at the moment. Was listening to Frankie Boyle and Grant Morrison (comic book legend) the other day. I know some folk can't stand Frankie Boyle but he wasn't doing his deliberately offensive schtick and it was brilliant.

Jan 30, 2008
Isn't it Pscycle Sluts?

he cacks on your originals
he peepees on his boots
he makes love like a footballer
he dribbles before he shoots
the goings on at the gang-bang ball
made the citizen's tut-tut-tut
but, what do you care, piss all
you tell 'em psycle sluts
i stand corrected sir:salute:
regards
DR

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'd never heard of him until coming across this little number at the end of an episode of The Sopranos...

[video=vimeo;59137200]http://vimeo.com/59137200[/video]
This was the episode just aired on Sky Atlantic.

How the hell does JCC end up as the closing credit music for The Sopranos, 7 years ago?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here