Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dale Stephens Summer 2016 shenanigans (Merged Thread)

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I think Burnley have missed the opportunity to sign Dale.

If they had bid £7.5m upwards a couple of weeks ago I'm sure we would have accepted the bid and sought to find a replacement before the deals were announced. However it's now come to the last few days of the window and Burnley are dealing with a club who have serious ambitions for promotion. Therefore won't want to lose a key player hours before the window shuts with no time to get a replacement.

Where as a couple of weeks ago they could have got Dale for a fair fee for both parties they now face the prospect of having to pay an over inflated fee to get their man as that is the only way I could see us considering it now.

They have dithered over Hendricks and look set to lose out to Hull on that one as well, I'd be pretty annoyed as a Burnley fan that they do so much to get to the £170m jackpot that is the Prem and then haggle over £2-3m here and there and land up with a very weak squad.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
It's all very well to say that however we couldn't get in anywhere near the player that we have in Stephens for that money. We missed out on getting promoted on goal difference last season, we need to keep our squad together like Middlesbrough did last season or we will be back to square one.
It's a difficult one isn't it and illustrates the absurdity of the transfer market. What other sector would do its business like this. I think it would be difficult to replace him in the British market but not impossible. Financially it might be more do-able in the European market for that sort of cash. That said, we have already signed Oliver Norwood, who many think is a player so similar to Stephens that he is the like-for-like replacement and we'd then go for another type of player. Of course in an ideal world we'd keep everyone happily together but football's not like that is it. Albion will always be vulnerable for bids for our best players and this particular transfer saga has been rumbling on all summer. As I've said many times, it really depends on the player. For me, there's no point in keeping even one of your best players if his heart's no longer in it. We've been down that road before. If he does want to go, then we have, no matter how hard it is, to sell him for as much money as we can get and buy someone who wants to play for the club.

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
Are club willing to hold onto DS until January window and then look again based on our position.
£10m bid which inc add ons must be the bid to make us waiver.
CH would not include him in squad if he was causing an issue.

Was there at Newcstle and we were bullied in midfield as his size and presence was missing.
So was Kayal's mojo..

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
The information in the Argus is very precise, I don't think they'd print it unless they had a very good source. There are three likely places this information came from:

BURNLEY. They'd want this deal to be secret through a fear of being guzumped (like they did to us with Ward), I'd be very surprised if they'd leaked this.

STEPHENS' AGENT. A likely source, he wants the highest fee possible and making these details public could lead to a bidding war and subsequent massive increase of the greedy chump's cut.

BHA. A quiet word from a source at the club to AN would again alert other teams to the fact Dale is not for sale at £5.5m but maybe a bit more? The fact that he has not signed a contract and has had little playtime this season would suggest his head is not in the right place and the club are now looking for a maximum return; making this deal public should get some other clubs involved to get that fee closer to £10m.

I fear the last source is the one AN got the story from. It's all about the size of the fee now & hopefully, it won't be Burnley or another Championship club that take him.

I would disagree.....................We don't want to sell him.............We don't want any more bids ''increased or otherwise''

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Selling Stephens makes no sense in the new world of football. Yes, the received wisdom is that you sell a player who won't sign a new contract in the last year of his existing one so that they don't go for nothing.

However, the money on offer for Promotion is now stupid, astronomical, scandalous. It dwarfs anything that Burnley or Palace or Manchester Feckin' City could pay us for him. Sure, it's a calculated gamble. Do we know anyone who's good at that sort of thing?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Possibly the agent, but why would Burnley want to alert other clubs to their offers ?
It might not be a deliberate leak from Burnley, but people talk, and it could go to local journalists in Burnley and then to our local paper.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Selling Stephens makes no sense in the new world of football. Yes, the received wisdom is that you sell a player who won't sign a new contract in the last year of his existing one so that they don't go for nothing.

However, the money on offer for Promotion is now stupid, astronomical, scandalous. It dwarfs anything that Burnley or Palace or Manchester Feckin' City could pay us for him. Sure, it's a calculated gamble. Do we know anyone who's good at that sort of thing?

Exactly - You have a Chairman who is a Financial Analyst and takes gambles

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
but out and out about on the town last night you'll hear other stories.

[tweet]770074402365042688[/tweet]

Yes, because Stephens is going to reveal all about his future to some random whilst out on the town!

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I am more worried about Stockdale's form than Stephens at the moment :shrug:

What will be will be with Stephens.

Me too!

Missed a lot of pre-season and seems to be the type of player that needs a good one.

Perhaps the international break will help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Albion turn down another Burnley bid believed to £5.5m says Argus this morning
"ALBION have rejected a fourth bid from Burnley for midfielder Dale Stephens.
The latest offer was made over the weekend as Stephens returned to the squad as an unused substitute in the 2-0 defeat at Newcastle.
The bid, believed to be in the region of £5.5 million, was turned down flat again by the Seagulls.
http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/14709867.Albion_reject_fourth_Burnley_bid_for_Stephens/
(they'll presumably now keep chasing Hendrick)

"

Also he says "he doesn't know what is going on" (ie: stop asking me about it) when fan accosts him at some bar last night.

[tweet]770040217671757826[/tweet]

I can't help thinking there is something lacking or wannabe, about people that need their photos taken with a celeb. Do they imagine it makes them appear borderline famous.... or just prats!

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Burnley need to **** off. They've been after him all summer. They must know that either we aren't going to sell or that we will at a set price. They must know that price. If they aren't going to pay it, don't bother coming in with these shit bids. It's ****ing up our season. Pay up or shut Burnley.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Sell him for 10 million and we blow going up or he helps us to promotion and we get 150million plus, a no brainer
It would be a no-brainer, but neither of those outcomes are anywhere near guaranteed.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Why don't the club follow the lead of many others and simply come out and say, we wouldn't listen to offers of anything less than 10 million for Dale Stephens?

Because if you believe the club he's not for sale. By putting a value on him is saying he is for sale.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here