Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The must-have albums of 2013

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Most overrated band of the year - Public Service Braodcasting.

I'm really not sure how they managed to hoodwink so many people, some of whom are normally of exceptional taste. Totally dull krautrock rip off with the rather naff old broadcast aesthetic. Like Joesph Stannard of the Quietus, Wire & Outer Church said (and I am paraphrasing slightly) as if someone took all the worst bits of hauntology and made an album out of it.

They sold the Concorde out didn't they?

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Hidden was a genuinely astonishing album. I still go back to it and am always amazed at how amazing and sophisticated it is. It really does sound like Benjamin Britten at times - and to look at them they just don't seem like to sort of band to come out with something like that. Sadly I can see it becoming something of a forgotten masterpiece, with an album like that they should not be the relatively small band that they still are. Really looking forward to hearing the new one (it's been long enough coming), though I have a feeling that they're never going to recreate the lightning in a bottle that Hidden was.

I think you got this totally right sir - 6 months on and your final sentence is exactly what I feel.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Black Dog Barking. Airbourne.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
CRE - I'm having a final look through this thread to see if I've missed anything. Are you still subscribing to this theory?

Three things:
1, why does SHC refer to CRF as CRE?
2, CRF/CRE might be right about plenty of things but characterising Push The Sky Away as the most overrated album of the year is on a par with that thread entitled Agustein and Ince, which the OP goes on to state that these two players are Sunday morning park footballers.
3, I know I might be tempting fate here, but any idea of when the play-off dates are/will be announced? I've just been thinking about both of your encouragements for me to attend The Great Escape and one of several things putting me off/delaying going for it is that TGE's dates might just coincide with the play-offs

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Three things:
1, why does SHC refer to CRF as CRE?
2, CRF/CRE might be right about plenty of things but characterising Push The Sky Away as the most overrated album of the year is on a par with that thread entitled Agustein and Ince, which the OP goes on to state that these two players are Sunday morning park footballers.
3, I know I might be tempting fate here, but any idea of when the play-off dates are/will be announced? I've just been thinking about both of your encouragements for me to attend The Great Escape and one of several things putting me off/delaying going for it is that TGE's dates might just coincide with the play-offs

1) I don't know, I think I was on a Corgi Registered Engineer vibe for some reason.
3) It's too early to interfere with the final, possibily the semi's isn't it? it certainly was last year anyway. Is it moving due to the world cup or something?

Last edited:

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Most overrated band of the year - Public Service Braodcasting.

I'm really not sure how they managed to hoodwink so many people, some of whom are normally of exceptional taste. Totally dull krautrock rip off with the rather naff old broadcast aesthetic. Like Joesph Stannard of the Quietus, Wire & Outer Church said (and I am paraphrasing slightly) as if someone took all the worst bits of hauntology and made an album out of it.

They sold the Concorde out didn't they?

Yeah, I tried hard to get into it but it's left me fairly empty. Cute, but it hasn't got the legs *refrains from Heather Mills joke*

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Well, I liked the PSB album (not the Pet Shop Boys). I enjoy the videos too. Didn't realise they were "rated" in the first place - I thought they were regarded as a slightly fusty guilty pleasure rather than a hipster's best friend? Most overrated for me of the year is almost certainly Reflektor. Makes me feel really really tired.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Most overrated for me of the year is almost certainly Reflektor

You're a brave man! It has been praised to the heavens on here. I was pretty suprised how much I liked it to be fair, given the previous one didn't do all that much for me (sorry Herr T.)

Opinions eh?

Last edited:

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Well, I liked the PSB album (not the Pet Shop Boys). I enjoy the videos too.

It sounded to me like something a 40+ 6 Music focus group would come up with. For the record I like 6 Music & most people over 40 who are into music!

I just felt there was something a bit contrived and insincere about the whole thing. I'm probably totally wrong but when I get that feeling, I find it really hard to shift.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
1) I don't know, I think I was on a Corgi Registered Engineer vibe for some reason.
3) It's too early to interfere with the final, possibily the semi's isn't it? it certainly was last year anyway. Is it moving due to the world cup or something?

The semis -- which if memory served me right were between the 8 and 13 May for 2012/13 -- would interfere with that. I'm hoping that the World Cup will mean that the final will be much closer to the semis this year. The final took place at the end of May, which meant that not only were there two weeks or so between it and the semis, but also there's that much shorter to prepare for life in a different league for the finalists.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
You're a brave man! It has been praised to the heavens on here. I was pretty suprised how much I liked it to be fair, given the previous one didn't do all that much for me (sorry Herr T.)

Opinions eh?

Ban double albums. I can count the number of double albums I like on one hand, Sign O' The Times being my favourite. I have no staying power, obviously...

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Have it.

The Forum is still a great venue though. Just not allowed to go to anything where my teenage children might also be in attendance.

[MENTION=12060]Grassman[/MENTION] will get you some VIP tickets so you can watch discreetly from the side of the stage. Actually, is there space for the side of a stage? You're right though, they still manage to get a lot of great bands before they become big/bigger.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here