Against Modern Football?

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Half and half scarves are shit
The prices are shit

The fact that you can attend a match without running the risk of getting your head kicked in is good.

The front cover of the programme from the FA Cup 6th Round game between Chelsea and Spurs in march 1982:

chelsea v spurs 1982.jpeg

It's odd really, I enjoyed the adrenaline rush of all the shenanigans back then, mainly due to the fact I could run really, really fast if I had to so never really got hurt. Apart from one game against Oxford at the Goldstone where I got the living shit kicked out of me.

Would I want that sort of bollox back? Of course not so yes modern football is infinitely better, the watching and the ability of the players.

But do I hate the way the money has taken the players, bang average ones too, and makes them millionaires, yes, yes I do.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I have to be honest I miss the atmosphere, banter and leaving the ground after our away matches in the lower leagues.
Not complaining about where we are now but games like Bristol Rovers away under Russell Slade for example were so good.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
It's good to walk up from the bridge or Falmer station with my boys and not be on the lookout for idiots who want to smash our faces in. I love our stadium and especially as I am now well into middle age, I enjoy its comforts.

However, the part of modern football I hate the most, and which is symptomatic of spoilt, brat sportsmen, is the cheating that goes on to fool refs. It was noticeable the other day, when I watched the BHA Palace game that [MENTION=144]goldstone[/MENTION]rapper posted on youtube, my youngest remarked that 'you don't get the diving cheats' in games from that era. That was largely true.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Really torn on this one. The football/facilities/crowd control/beer etc etc are all big pluses these days but I really miss the adrenaline of the old days. Some games were utter carnage, with horseback baton swinging OB, feisty alsatians taking chunks out of your arse and of course hundreds/thousands of nutters running all over the place swinging punches. No-one really wants to see that again, especially with so many kids/lasses at games now, but for me they were the best days of my life. :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here