Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pet (Dog) insurance

black & white seagull

Aug 29, 2003
Brighton
Our greyhound is with More Than, as was our previous one. They're expensive, but cover is up to £12,000 per year. They have paid out any claims without question.

Whoever you go with, make sure you get lifetime cover rather than annual. Lifetime is what is says it is, whereas annual cover ceases when the policy comes up for renewal - leaving you to foot the bill if your dog needs medication for a condition for the rest of its life.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Another vote for Petplan which covers all worming, injections, flea treatment, and 10% discount, although mine is for moggies.

You would still need a health insurance for all the other stuff.

Be careful on the third party cover. I totally understand the use of a savings account to cover bills and on average that should work. All of our dogs have always been insured for two reasons. I never want to be standing in front of a vet making a decision on our family 's welfare based on whether I have cash spare. And secondly I want the 3rd party cover. In our local park a small uninsured dog knocked over a fellow walker and broke their leg. She was self-employed and off work for over 3 months. The dog owner was correctly sued for loss of earnings

On the original topic we use Tesco and Petplan. Tesco has improved a lot but prices do increase a lot as the dog gets older. Petplan have better service but a higher excess, the advantage is they are guarantee to insure for life.

One feature of the market is how different the policies are, so shop around and compare to make sure you get the cover you want.

Can't you insure for third party cover separately from any health insurance for the dog?

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Can't you insure for third party cover separately from any health insurance for the dog?

I had not come across it other than as an add-on to health cover, presumably because the risk premium is relatively low compared to the administration cost of such a policy. However a quick Google shows that Dogs Trust include it in their membership which is £25 a year.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Be careful on the third party cover. I totally understand the use of a savings account to cover bills and on average that should work. All of our dogs have always been insured for two reasons. I never want to be standing in front of a vet making a decision on our family 's welfare based on whether I have cash spare. And secondly I want the 3rd party cover. In our local park a small uninsured dog knocked over a fellow walker and broke their leg. She was self-employed and off work for over 3 months. The dog owner was correctly sued for loss of earnings
Yeah, the 3rd party aspect is the one thing that worries me and I'm aware that I am exposed.. I might look around to see if I can just get 3rd party cover on its own (i.e no medical stuff), indeed it may even be on my house insurance as that's got something about 'pets' in it. (probably just internal damage tbh but it'll be worth checking).

I DO want it to be watertight though, and my experience of pet insurance is that the insurers always look for any excuse not to pay.

EDIT: Just seen your reply re the Dogs' Trust. I'll have a look at that, many thanks.

Jul 7, 2003
Thanks to all for your feedback - very helpful. Now just to hope that the dog likes us on Saturday.
[MENTION=16592]Crispy Ambulance[/MENTION] - sorry to hear about your dog. We lost our old dog a few years ago so I know how said this can be. [MENTION=4137]Arthritic Toe[/MENTION] - I hope your dog is okay after the accident.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Tesco have always paid out for our cats. Wish we had dental though as tooth removal cost £400 the other day. Pick wisely as changing means they won't cover pre-existing conditions.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Thank you for your kind thoughts. We already have an older Collie who is a bit, er, 'special' who can't tolerate other dogs (he accepted the younger dog as she did all his dirty work for him - barking at the postman/doorbell- and providing him with a security blanket) and who has got worse with other dogs as he's got older. It wouldn't be fair on him to get another one just yet as he wouldnt cope. But we will get one when he goes. Thanks again.

You are very welcome - I am a totally unashamed softie regarding dogs. I understand your dilemma perfectly. Might a puppy bitch be good for him - and you? Obviously you know your dog more than I do, but I recall with our old lab, who hated cats, when we brought home a kitten, put her up on the kitchen work surface, said sternly "no" to him, and after that, it was just great watching them together, as the kitten used to swipe his tail. . . Dogs do tend to react to other animals outside of the house, but inside, they sense that they could be part of the family. Just a thought - every good wish to you.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Thanks to all for your feedback - very helpful. Now just to hope that the dog likes us on Saturday.

[MENTION=16592]Crispy Ambulance[/MENTION] - sorry to hear about your dog. We lost our old dog a few years ago so I know how said this can be. [MENTION=4137]Arthritic Toe[/MENTION] - I hope your dog is okay after the accident.

Hope it all goes well. Our dog was a rescue and she's amazing.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Our greyhound is with More Than, as was our previous one. They're expensive, but cover is up to £12,000 per year. They have paid out any claims without question.

Whoever you go with, make sure you get lifetime cover rather than annual. Lifetime is what is says it is, whereas annual cover ceases when the policy comes up for renewal - leaving you to foot the bill if your dog needs medication for a condition for the rest of its life.
I'd support a vote for More Than. Almost £2000 worth of claims for our cockapoo in the past 18 months and they were very supportive, pleasant and fast.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Hope it all goes well. Our dog was a rescue and she's amazing.

I am delighted for you - I and my dog are out and about so often, and regularly see people who have rescues dogs, and I have very respect for you, and folk like you, who take on rescue dogs -may you have years of fun.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon

Thanks - complete recovery thanks to some great veterinary work. Actually, it was about 5 years ago.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
I am delighted for you - I and my dog are out and about so often, and regularly see people who have rescues dogs, and I have very respect for you, and folk like you, who take on rescue dogs -may you have years of fun.

Thanks!!!

She's 10 and apart from when she had chemo has had a very happy life so far. Here's to many more :)

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Glad to hear that. We use Tesco pet insurance as well, and have just been told our dog has probably done her cruciate ligaments in and needs an op. We have been quoted over £1K per leg!

Yup, Tesco have come up trumps.

Dog had cruciate ligament surgery today and we haven't even had to deal with the insurance. Just rang them the once to get a claim form and check our cover was enough, and now the insurer and the vet sort everything out between themselves :thumbsup:

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Good timing. I think I need this for our newly acquired cat, now named Steve (Sidwell, for THAT goal).

We got a month's free Petplan insurance via the Cats Protection people that we collected him from, but I really should sort out something else for when that runs out. On only the second day we had him, he came belting down the stairs and crashed into me at a rate of knots, before limping off on three legs, squealing & hissing at me as he went. I thought I was going to have to take him to the vet that very day. Nightmare. Happily, after hiding behind the sofa for a few minutes, he emerged when I waved a few cat treats at him, and seemed to recover OK. The bloody drama queen :lol:

Jul 7, 2003
We have picked up our rescue dog and he is settling in really nicely (asleep at my feet as I type this). He is a four month old crossbreed - definitely some Jack Russell in there and maybe a bit of collie. As he is originally imported from Ireland, I was keen to call him Duffy but the rest of the family didn't seem as keen so we finally decided on Harry.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Another vote for Petplan which covers all worming, injections, flea treatment, and 10% discount, although mine is for moggies.

You would still need a health insurance for all the other stuff.

I have my working cocker insured with Petplan.

Are you not referring to Premier Vets Alliance which covers the items you mention and which do not cover any illnesses or conditions which may turn up ?

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
We have picked up our rescue dog and he is settling in really nicely (asleep at my feet as I type this). He is a four month old crossbreed - definitely some Jack Russell in there and maybe a bit of collie. As he is originally imported from Ireland, I was keen to call him Duffy but the rest of the family didn't seem as keen so we finally decided on Harry.

Far too easily swayed by your family. We'd been looking for a cat name for a couple of days, and when that goal went in at Ashton Gate, my mind was made up. The other half had no say in it :lol:

I confess I'm slightly pleased it wasn't Gaetan Bong who scored it though.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here