Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Are Dualit toasters worth the money?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Checkout which, last time they did Toasters I think a Tesco own brand for £20 came out near top.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Had ours ten years. Had to replace the timer as it was going a bit quick or stopping, but easy to get a new one online and a simple enough job (for the father in law) to replace it. Also got the kettle at the same time, that packed up about three years ago and it turned out you couldn't get the replacement part. Dualit gave us a good deal on a cheaper version though when I rang them for a bit of a moan.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Yes yes and yes.

We have had ours for two years and I couldn’t go back to a two slicer.

Saves time and also allows you to toast different members of the family at different levels of brownness/blackness.

Here is our bad boy, excuse the crumbs.
a362e0bbf6e85590cd5d33a179aa7f0c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

luge

Dec 18, 2010
We might need a new toaster and I've always fancied one of the big Dualit 4-slice efforts.

They are ridiculously expensive though. Are they worth they money?

Anyone have one of these bad boys >>> http://amzn.to/2G7nCzQ

I have had one all my adult life. The same one. Do not hesitate. They are the greatest.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
We have a Morphy Richards 4 slice toaster. Clearly not as sexy as the Dualit, as it was a lot cheaper. Turns bread into toast perfect well.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
I had a two slice dualit and absolutely hated it.

- It was not quite big enough for lots of types of bread - nothing fancy, just regular Hovis - so I had to take the bread out half way through and turn it the other way up to even come close to browning the whole slice
- It browned very unevenly.
- It didn't pop up and turn off, it just sounds an alarm so if you get distracted and forget the toaster is on you get a lot of burnt toast.
- The timer is just a clockworkmechanism which is great for simplicity (and one would have thought robustness but see next point) but means you have to set it each time.
- The timer and the on/off switch broke after about 12 months and I would have had to go to CRAWLEY to get it fixed so I didn't bother and gave it away.

It looked great though!

JonnyCLately

Jan 16, 2018
Shoreham by sea
Had mine 18 years - four slice beast - changed one of the elements and the timer but otherwise it gets used two to four times a day everyday and is bullet proof. Endlessly serviceable and fixable. I'd buy another if I ever needed to but suspect I won't have to

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I had a two slice dualit and absolutely hated it.

- It was not quite big enough for lots of types of bread - nothing fancy, just regular Hovis - so I had to take the bread out half way through and turn it the other way up to even come close to browning the whole slice
- It browned very unevenly.
- It didn't pop up and turn off, it just sounds an alarm so if you get distracted and forget the toaster is on you get a lot of burnt toast.
- The timer is just a clockworkmechanism which is great for simplicity (and one would have thought robustness but see next point) but means you have to set it each time.
- The timer and the on/off switch broke after about 12 months and I would have had to go to CRAWLEY to get it fixed so I didn't bother and gave it away.

It looked great though!

Which, to be fair, is the most important thing.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Had mine 18 years - four slice beast - changed one of the elements and the timer but otherwise it gets used two to four times a day everyday and is bullet proof. Endlessly serviceable and fixable. I'd buy another if I ever needed to but suspect I won't have to

Beast and bullet proof are two words I’d also use.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It’s starting to look even less likely that the elements on mine are faulty...

I’m not doubting you. But Mine browns perfectly, and has done for 15 years. Given others are speaking highly of these toasters there must be something wrong or not quite right?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I never buy anything in red. Ever. I'm red-phobic.

Ditto. It's just not right.

I should also add that the Dualit copes with crumpets better than any toaster I've ever had. No need to be ramming forks in to get them out with all the death risks that brings.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here