Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Jamie Carragher spits at fan (young girl)

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
He might claim it but there isn't evidence to support that.

Correct. He waves to them at the start so I doubt they’d done much wrong beforehand.

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
I love how the papers say he was "goaded" into it.

When someone says they were goaded into something, it says an enormous amount of their character.

If not lack of self control, it demonstrates that deep down he's a disgusting individual who will probably feel no remorse as his career bottoms out and he ends up as a columnist for the next failing Sports Broadcast Company.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
He might claim it but there isn't evidence to support that.

Totally agree. I've no idea! I was just challenging other people's assumptions.

Aveacarlin'

Jul 5, 2011
I think he was spitting in contempt rather than at them, as there was some distance between the cars.
Utter rubbish. He attempts to spit as far as he can by lurching sideways. Clear intent for that to make contact.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
They? No, he claims others had said something, but not the people in this car. And "2-1 mate" is hardly the biggest insult. He doesn't even play for Liverpool any more FFS.

When we leave a game after a loss and the away fans on the train wind us up (not a regular occurrence, but does happen) do you gob on them? It's beyond out of order.

Totally agree. Disgusting. However we don't know what had happened before. It could have been more than just '2-1 mate'.

Aveacarlin'

Jul 5, 2011
I actually think JC is a good commentator and has been singing the praises of the Dunk/Duffy combination in Sky games that I have seen.
Yeah, so what? Praising our players doesn't detract from the fact that what he has done is absolutely disgusting.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
So what. He really should know better at his age and given the nature of his current employment. It would appear he’s had a few issues in the past as well. An apology and a genuine and sincere attempt to sort out this side of his character will go a long way I think. No need to lose his job over it.

FFS. Why don't people ever read anything in context? I'm not defending him in any way whatsoever. I was just responding to the poster who said the fella had just said '2-1 mate'. We have no idea what happened before that.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
However we don't know what had happened before. It could have been more than just '2-1 mate'.
Well we don't know for certain, but the way the conversation goes it seems quite clear that that's the first time they've spoked to each other. There could have been some hand gestures before, but even that looks unlikely, and if it was the case, why would Jamie put his window down?

Just reading comments on here about his apology, he claims others had also wound him up, but no suggestion the people in this car had.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Totally agree. Disgusting. However we don't know what had happened before. It could have been more than just '2-1 mate'.

What does it matter what happened before, is there anything to justify what he did? As far as I'm aware, you act by your own moral compass, not other peoples.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
What does it matter what happened before, is there anything to justify what he did? As far as I'm aware, you act by your own moral compass, not other peoples.

It doesn't. I am not commenting on the behaviour of any of the participants, or the rights or wrongs. I was commenting on the poster who said "The fella just said 2-1 mate". How does he know that? Would we view it differently if the fella had previously said something totally obnoxious and offensive? I think we would. Again I'm not commenting on the morality of anything that happened, just the assumptions people make.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
This is unbelievable!

If he wasn't an ex footballer/football pundit, I really doubt anyone would be defending him, but because he is, somehow it's the driver and his daughter who are in the wrong for being gobbed on.

That's the crux of the matter. If he wasn't an ex football/pundit, the Utd fan wouldn't have been beeping his horn and then deliberately lowered his window to taunt him. You also don't know what gestures may have been made. You hear the Utd fan shout "2-1 Jamie" - was this accompanied by hand gestures?

To be clear, Carraghers response was disgusting and an overreaction but lets not pretend that he's just walked up to the Utd fan and his daughter who were minding their own business and spat on them. There was some antagonism regardless of the fact that the response wasn't justified.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It doesn't. I am not commenting on the behaviour of any of the participants, or the rights or wrongs. I was commenting on the poster who said "The fella just said 2-1 mate". How does he know that? Would we view it differently if the fella had previously said something totally obnoxious and offensive? I think we would. Again I'm not commenting on the morality of anything that happened, just the assumptions people make.

I wouldn't view it differently regardless of what was said to JC.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
FFS. Why don't people ever read anything in context? I'm not defending him in any way whatsoever. I was just responding to the poster who said the fella had just said '2-1 mate'. We have no idea what happened before that.

I think he acted stupidly regardless of what did or didn’t happen before.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I think he acted stupidly regardless of what did or didn’t happen before.

And I agree with you. That wasn't the point I was making. I was challenging the poster's assumptions.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here