Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The rivalry with Palace

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Tuesday will be nothing like days gone past maybe a few handbags but due to the restrictions in place It will go down as a non event off the pitch.

I'm not convinced! If there is no segregation in the kettling area at Brighton station and both sets of fans are allowed on the same trains I can see trouble ahead. No issues so far this season but this is Palace and if the OB don't get their act together.....well.....! Hopefully the OB have learned the lesson that marching the Palace up Queens Road past all the pubs with Brighton fans wasn't their finest hour and that they won't be doing that again.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Everyone seems to forget Pompey when talking about rivals, I've witnessed more disorder against them than Palace.

I would agree with this as back pre 1970s they were always our arch rivals. As Ict Gull says this rivalry was brought about or could even be said manufactured between the two manager who didnt who fell out with each other when they both played for Spurs. Plus it was helped by the cup replay at Chelsea and the Referee Ron(Palace) Challisin the mid 70s. In the 50s and 60s nobody cared about Palace any more than any other club from London.

Last edited:

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
I'm not convinced! If there is no segregation in the kettling area at Brighton station and both sets of fans are allowed on the same trains I can see trouble ahead. No issues so far this season but this is Palace and if the OB don't get their act together.....well.....! Hopefully the OB have learned the lesson that marching the Palace up Queens Road past all the pubs with Brighton fans wasn't their finest hour and that they won't be doing that again.

Didn't they take em via the adjacent roads to Queens Road last time? Ended up going into the station from the back round by the Jury's Inn etc.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

It'll be okay, no-one will dare pour a pint of beer over them.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Quite a honest account below
The Seagulleater

Palace V Brighton 5/4/1980

There were thousands of Brighton comming down Cherry Orchard Road. All you could see was a sea of Blue and white, with a bit of red and yellow mixed in.

Slightly embellished. Hardly anyone wore colours in those days.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Didn't they take em via the adjacent roads to Queens Road last time? Ended up going into the station from the back round by the Jury's Inn etc.

Same again this year. Being 'marched' from West Street up to Sports Direct, walked along the back roads adjacent to Queens Road, and all the way up to the Jury's before entering the station via the back entrance.

Not sure if they will have a set train/carriages for them, but 500 coppers on duty for Tuesday.

The red pepper kid

Dec 30, 2014
Oh yes proper rivalry without a doubt, has been since I was 8 years old (now 51)---football is based on rivalry and always has been , it is only since 60s/70s that crowd violence crept in and still lingers on in a vastly reduced capacity , palarce love our rivalry same as us, rivarly comes and go's like orient etc , Portsmouth has always been a big one with us .
im not sure why certain people are in denial about the scum on here ? perhaps they just don't know our history-

Slightly embellished. Hardly anyone wore colours in those days.
I think a crowd of 2,000+ there was plenty wearing colours,most of seagulleater comments i can recall did happen that day,the amount of brighton fans,the route,the scuffles through out the day and the 50 bha or so getting run out the Holmsedale.If the account was from a Brighton fan i can see some would doubt it, that day was the peak of the bha v cpfc rivalry and 37 years ago.Lets hope people have moved on and we can enjoy a great atmosphere a good win and the bragging rights for a while.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think a crowd of 2,000+ there was plenty wearing colours,most of seagulleater comments i can recall did happen that day,the amount of brighton fans,the route,the scuffles through out the day and the 50 bha or so getting run out the Holmsedale.If the account was from a Brighton fan i can see some would doubt it, that day was the peak of the bha v cpfc rivalry and 37 years ago.Lets hope people have moved on and we can enjoy a great atmosphere a good win and the bragging rights for a while.

Oh, I'm not doubting the rest of it. It just that most of us didn't wear colours as it wasn't worth the hassle.

I remember being in the Brighton end (the same match as the press had pictures of a Brighton fan punching a policeman on the nose). There were palace fans in our end picking off people at the edge. You just didn't know who was supporting who.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
Oh yes proper rivalry without a doubt, has been since I was 8 years old (now 51)---football is based on rivalry and always has been , it is only since 60s/70s that crowd violence crept in and still lingers on in a vastly reduced capacity , palarce love our rivalry same as us, rivarly comes and go's like orient etc , Portsmouth has always been a big one with us .
im not sure why certain people are in denial about the scum on here ? perhaps they just don't know our history-

Some of us predate the origins of the rivalry in the Mullery era, and are not really bothered about it.
I don't particularly want other people dictating to me who I should like or not like. I will play along with a bit of banter, but when it comes to the real hate stuff, then count me out.
And I don't buy that Football has always been built on rivalry. Maybe in Liverpool or Manchester or North London it is more so than here because your rival is just down the road or over the park, but I will dislike the clubs I want to dislike..... like Man Utd, and Tottenham, and Man Utd, and Man Utd, and Bournemouth and Man Utd.

Jan 30, 2008
:p
regards
DR

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Quite a honest account below which shows the extent of the rivalry,have different memories of that day but they match the account below from a different perspective. I think we are lucky that those days are in the past and hyping the rivalry up is not a very good idea:moo:

The Seagulleater

Got an early start on a Party 7. Sh*t did it taste rank at seven in the morning, but today was a special day, it was Brighton. Arranged to meet a few mates in the buffet bar at East Croydon for 8.30am, so we could have a gander at the Brighton as we thought we might take a pop at a few of the early arrivals.

Arrived at East Croydon at about 8.45am and found my mates at the corner where the post office is. Wondering what the hell they where doing there then, as I got up to them, I turned to where a lot of noise was coming from.

Outside East Croydon, there must of been 200+ hard-looking fuc*ers drinking away and having a laugh amongst themselves. I turned to my mates and said 'Fu*k this, let's go meet the others'.

We had arranged to meet other Palace in the centre of Croydon and along the way little mobs of Palace started to join us and we were turning into quite a tasty sized firm. We had a run-in with some brighton by the Forum pub, which used to be in the whitgift centre.

Give them their due, they never realised how many of us there was, and fought for as long as they could. One of them either jumped or was pushed from the first floor, and I honestly thought he was fuc*ed, but he just picked himself up and ran off towards the rest of the Brighton.

Well we all met up as planned, must of been 250/300 of us now. Imagine the sound of all 300 singing 'We hate Brighton' through the Alders arcade, so we decided to head back to East Croydon and kick it off.

We had all split up in different groups on both sides of George street and somewhere in the road. Big mistake going back to East Croydon as there was hundreds of the scum there well out-numbering us by say three to one.

Still we were up for it and carried on only to be diverted by the Old Bill and sent down Dingwell Road. A few of the BHA saw us and stampeded down towards us, but there were too many plod.

About ten of us dodged the Old Bill and in groups of two and three and headed for the Ralilway Tavern which was oppossite East Croydon Station. The best sight we ever saw over the next hour, was what our rivalry is all about as more and more Brighton kept pouring out of East Croydon Station and just collecting there.

There were so many that most were on the road and in the end the Old Bill closed it. Things were getting a bit uncomfortable where we were, and so we decided our safest bet was to get the fu*k clean out of there.

We dodged our way by using the subway which led us into Cherry Orchard Road. We stopped at the Horse and Groome, which had about 50 Palace in it and told them what we had seen at East Croydon and said we were going to Selhurst and see if we could pick off any BHA on the way.

Some came and some stayed saying that the BHA wouldn't come their way they would be diverted towards west Croydon and on to Whitehorse Road. Much the same at the next pub, The Cherry Orchard, and we went to the last pub, The Leslie Arms, where we decided to have a light ale or two.

About 20 mins later, someone from outside shouted have a look at this. So outside we went, and believe me, I have never seen anything like it in my life.

There were thousands of Brighton comming down Cherry Orchard Road. All you could see was a sea of Blue and white, with a bit of red and yellow mixed in. I felt for the Palace who we saw in the pubs on the way down, 'cos all you could here was glass breaking as the scum went passed. That was a firm and a half.

The Old Bill advised us to move on and to go up to the Wonderloaf, and turn right into Whitehorse Road, and then continue on to the ground. They said all the Brighton where heading this way and they estimated several thousand.

I'm game for most things but fu*k that lot, so we did the right thing and fu*ked off, kept looking around as all you could hear was the BHA. Not only that would you take your eye off of several thousand BHA?

Anyway in the distance we notice a mob of 250, by now we numbered the same so we ran at them, and they ran at us, turned out they were Palace too. So now we numbered around 500, a right nice firm too.

We carried on down Whitehorse Road until we got to the Big Gloucester, that's where the road splits into five ways. No sooner had we reached there, were when we were hit by all five roads, there was Brighton everywhere.

We had no choice but to have it on our toes, and all went out different ways. The Old Bill were soon on the scene, and ordered what was left of us to go straight to the ground.

It was only 1 o'clock too. On getting there, we were the first Palace in the Holmesdale, but also in there were about 50 BHA.

We did what we had to do and run 'em, right down to the pitch, and across they went, for the last big shock of the day, a sea of blue and white, appeared from nowhere in the Whitehorse Lane end and just poured down the terrace.

If they had managed to get across that pitch then I wouldn't be writing this now. As you can imagine there were offs all day and into the night, even went off in Surrey Street Market, but hey that's another story ...

‘the Brighton’ 😂

Fairly representative of what it was probably like but it just reads like it was written in Viz, by Big Vern or Cockney W@nker

Oh, I'm not doubting the rest of it. It just that most of us didn't wear colours as it wasn't worth the hassle.

I remember being in the Brighton end (the same match as the press had pictures of a Brighton fan punching a policeman on the nose). There were palace fans in our end picking off people at the edge. You just didn't know who was supporting who.
I think alot of none hoolies were among those thousands that walked from croydon to selhurst so would account for wearing colours,also a few of the so called top boys would be wearing the oppositions scarves making it pretty confusing,recall the scarf with a thick blue bars and smaller white bar with red line running through the white,boths sets of fans had these scarves:facepalm:

Attachments

• palace punch.jpg
    palace punch.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 213

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
Quite a honest account below which shows the extent of the rivalry,have different memories of that day but they match the account below from a different perspective. I think we are lucky that those days are in the past and hyping the rivalry up is not a very good idea:moo:

The Seagulleater

Got an early start on a Party 7. Sh*t did it taste rank at seven in the morning, but today was a special day, it was Brighton. Arranged to meet a few mates in the buffet bar at East Croydon for 8.30am, so we could have a gander at the Brighton as we thought we might take a pop at a few of the early arrivals.

Arrived at East Croydon at about 8.45am and found my mates at the corner where the post office is. Wondering what the hell they where doing there then, as I got up to them, I turned to where a lot of noise was coming from.

Outside East Croydon, there must of been 200+ hard-looking fuc*ers drinking away and having a laugh amongst themselves. I turned to my mates and said 'Fu*k this, let's go meet the others'.

We had arranged to meet other Palace in the centre of Croydon and along the way little mobs of Palace started to join us and we were turning into quite a tasty sized firm. We had a run-in with some brighton by the Forum pub, which used to be in the whitgift centre.

Give them their due, they never realised how many of us there was, and fought for as long as they could. One of them either jumped or was pushed from the first floor, and I honestly thought he was fuc*ed, but he just picked himself up and ran off towards the rest of the Brighton.

Well we all met up as planned, must of been 250/300 of us now. Imagine the sound of all 300 singing 'We hate Brighton' through the Alders arcade, so we decided to head back to East Croydon and kick it off.

We had all split up in different groups on both sides of George street and somewhere in the road. Big mistake going back to East Croydon as there was hundreds of the scum there well out-numbering us by say three to one.

Still we were up for it and carried on only to be diverted by the Old Bill and sent down Dingwell Road. A few of the BHA saw us and stampeded down towards us, but there were too many plod.

About ten of us dodged the Old Bill and in groups of two and three and headed for the Ralilway Tavern which was oppossite East Croydon Station. The best sight we ever saw over the next hour, was what our rivalry is all about as more and more Brighton kept pouring out of East Croydon Station and just collecting there.

There were so many that most were on the road and in the end the Old Bill closed it. Things were getting a bit uncomfortable where we were, and so we decided our safest bet was to get the fu*k clean out of there.

We dodged our way by using the subway which led us into Cherry Orchard Road. We stopped at the Horse and Groome, which had about 50 Palace in it and told them what we had seen at East Croydon and said we were going to Selhurst and see if we could pick off any BHA on the way.

Some came and some stayed saying that the BHA wouldn't come their way they would be diverted towards west Croydon and on to Whitehorse Road. Much the same at the next pub, The Cherry Orchard, and we went to the last pub, The Leslie Arms, where we decided to have a light ale or two.

About 20 mins later, someone from outside shouted have a look at this. So outside we went, and believe me, I have never seen anything like it in my life.

There were thousands of Brighton comming down Cherry Orchard Road. All you could see was a sea of Blue and white, with a bit of red and yellow mixed in. I felt for the Palace who we saw in the pubs on the way down, 'cos all you could here was glass breaking as the scum went passed. That was a firm and a half.

The Old Bill advised us to move on and to go up to the Wonderloaf, and turn right into Whitehorse Road, and then continue on to the ground. They said all the Brighton where heading this way and they estimated several thousand.

I'm game for most things but fu*k that lot, so we did the right thing and fu*ked off, kept looking around as all you could hear was the BHA. Not only that would you take your eye off of several thousand BHA?

Anyway in the distance we notice a mob of 250, by now we numbered the same so we ran at them, and they ran at us, turned out they were Palace too. So now we numbered around 500, a right nice firm too.

We carried on down Whitehorse Road until we got to the Big Gloucester, that's where the road splits into five ways. No sooner had we reached there, were when we were hit by all five roads, there was Brighton everywhere.

We had no choice but to have it on our toes, and all went out different ways. The Old Bill were soon on the scene, and ordered what was left of us to go straight to the ground.

It was only 1 o'clock too. On getting there, we were the first Palace in the Holmesdale, but also in there were about 50 BHA.

We did what we had to do and run 'em, right down to the pitch, and across they went, for the last big shock of the day, a sea of blue and white, appeared from nowhere in the Whitehorse Lane end and just poured down the terrace.

If they had managed to get across that pitch then I wouldn't be writing this now. As you can imagine there were offs all day and into the night, even went off in Surrey Street Market, but hey that's another story ...

Yeah I recognise the truth in that account but time has messed with his estimates of numbers. Cut every number quoted by 50% apart from the 50 BHA in the Holmesdale which is about right.

Yeah I recognise the truth in that account but time has messed with his estimates of numbers. Cut every number quoted by 50% apart from the 50 BHA in the Holmesdale which is about right.

Not so sure the several thousand i think could have been 2500, i recall 130 of us walking on to an already busy platform at hh and then a train pulls in pretty rammed,trying to get off the station at Croydon i reckon 800 odd just at that time,very difficult to count the numbers as when you are in the middle there is not much perspective. Lets call it 3,000+:rolleyes:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here