Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brace yourselves over Stokes...

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Really wanted to see Ben Stokes go to Australia and would even take him now,Simply because the Australian,media,public and the players want it. Now let,s see how good he is in The Lion,s Den ?

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
That is not quite correct what they have said is that at the moment he will not fly out to Australia with the main party on 28th October no mention of after that date so if the police investigation is finished etc he could fly out early November as it stands.

Yeah, the Cricinfo article I read originally has put a slight spin on the story.

Point is, though, they now feel it's serious enough that he can't fly out with the rest of the squad while the investigation is ongoing. That's a (slight) firming up of their prior "not available for selection" stance. Makes me wonder slightly if this is actually a cover for the police having politely requested that he not travel.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
That seems strange as they have renewed his and Hales contracts.

Contract renewal is different from the Ashes. Decisions taken on one has no bearing on decisions taken for the other. I think they've made it pretty clear why they've chosen to renew the contract, and likewise why Stokes is (initially, at least) not travelling for the Ashes.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Contract renewal is different from the Ashes. Decisions taken on one has no bearing on decisions taken for the other. I think they've made it pretty clear why they've chosen to renew the contract, and likewise why Stokes is (initially, at least) not travelling for the Ashes.

Confirmed by the fact that I pointed out earlier that Finn has just lost his contract on the very same day he was selected for the Ashes.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
BBC saying Ben Stokes has apologised to Katie Price and Harvey is this the start of a move to bring him back into the fold for the Ashes? Perhaps no charges being preferred will be the next.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
His agent , ex England batsman Neil Fairbrother says he will give a full explanation when the time is right but at the moment he is co-operating fully with the police during their investigation.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The police have been appealing for two men to come forward as witnesses ever since it happened so it would appear these are the two they wanted to come forward. Lets hope that it can be sorted quickly and he can then fly out to Oz in the next few days.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
The police have been appealing for two men to come forward as witnesses ever since it happened so it would appear these are the two they wanted to come forward. Lets hope that it can be sorted quickly and he can then fly out to Oz in the next few days.
Whatever the outcome the ECB will take the moral high ground and still impose some sort of ban / penalty. You can't deny the fact that his behavior is becoming of England's Vice Captain.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
The 'defending people' angle gets another boost. To be honest it looked like there was an element of that even without these men stepping forward from the footage. Not sure it gets rid of the main problem he faces, which is whether the length of time it goes on means it went from defence to attack, but that's one for his lawyers I imagine.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Arkwright;8181176. You can't deny the fact that his behavior is becoming of England's Vice Captain.[/QUOTE said:
I would expect better

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The 'defending people' angle gets another boost. To be honest it looked like there was an element of that even without these men stepping forward from the footage. Not sure it gets rid of the main problem he faces, which is whether the length of time it goes on means it went from defence to attack, but that's one for his lawyers I imagine.

Not forgetting the other person had a bottle, so the self defence angle is part of it too.

Buffalo Seagull

Jun 1, 2006
Geelong, Vic, Australia
Not forgetting the other person had a bottle, so the self defence angle is part of it too.
Except the quote from the news story is “Kai feared he could be attacked.”
It would be hard to argue self-defence when (1) Stokes wasn’t defending himself, and (2) there hadn’t been an attack for him to defend. It was a pre-emptive strike by the sounds of it. And at the point Stokes put the bloke on the ground, the other guys were showing very little in the way of aggression.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Except the quote from the news story is “Kai feared he could be attacked.”
It would be hard to argue self-defence when (1) Stokes wasn’t defending himself, and (2) there hadn’t been an attack for him to defend. It was a pre-emptive strike by the sounds of it. And at the point Stokes put the bloke on the ground, the other guys were showing very little in the way of aggression.

He hasn't been charged with anything. All we've seen is a few seconds of footage with no sound.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
The Judiciary System allows him to make a citizen's arrest but not make a personal judgment and dish out the punishment.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
A mate of mine is a retired Magistrate and when we talked about this the other day he told me he had never seen anyone imprisoned for ABH so Community Service and a big Fine even if (and that is IF) he is convicted.

Would have thought that the way Stokes acted would be Bonzer as far as the Aussies are concerned, I wouldn't mind seeing him and David Warner going toe-to-toe...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here