Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nostalgia - Old Restaurants and Bars in Brighton

el punal

Any one remember the Cellar Bar in ship Street? In late 70s there was a bloke used to play guitar and sing every Friday and Saturday night. Many a good night spent there with half a pint of cider and six straws.

I remember it very well. Was in there in there with six friends (after a very long pub crawl) through Brighton. Anyway, cut to the chase, got to the top of the stairs at street level when leaving and bumped into this bloke. "Want something mate?" He enquired.
"Yeah, another pint would be nice, thank you very much." I replied.

Next thing - WALLOP! The bloke smacked me with a right hander (or left) and I ended up in the gutter. The beauty of all this was that I never felt a thing. Excess alcohol is a marvellous anaesthetic. My friends picked me up and off we went to the Wimpy for post booze burgers.

The next morning - OUCH! :sick:

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I know we read loads of things and through CCTV and mobile phones about nowadays, but it was a more violent place in the 70' and 80's ......

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
That's very true. West Street was the Wild West.

Also late 70's prior to leaving school it was very tribal, you tended not to mix with other schools, only played for your local club etc. so straight away there was suspicion and rivalary, then you had groups, skinheads, mods, rockers, punks etc. and the football stuff was at its peak, personally I enjoyed the tensions and the edginess of it all, but if you hear some of our generation would think we lived in some idyllic fluffy cloud, whilst our kids live with the threat of imminent danger of death.

wilko1

Feb 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Brighton Belle nightclub in Oriental Place in the mid 80's
Loved it, had a great vibe, great music, and really friendly, met some great people there
True resembled a sauna in the summer, biut it was my all time favourite night time venue
Shame it all ended too soon

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Brighton Belle nightclub in Oriental Place in the mid 80's
Loved it, had a great vibe, great music, and really friendly, met some great people there
True resembled a sauna in the summer, biut it was my all time favourite night time venue
Shame it all ended too soon

I used to go out all the time, I mean all the time, not necessarily for music but just for fun with the lads, I went to Brighton Belle once it was midweek and empty, seemed like someones frontroom with a bar at the end, never went back ....

wilko1

Feb 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Always dead during the week
Should have said that...but Friday and especially Saturday night were brilliant , they had to limit numbers, being a basement club

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Old Orleans where you could order pitchers of beer which was UNHEARD OF FOREIGN SOPHISTICATION at the time!

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Old Orleans where you could order pitchers of beer which was UNHEARD OF FOREIGN SOPHISTICATION at the time!

You obviously didnt go to 'Clarences wine bar' at the start of the Lanes in the mid 80's, first place to do pitchers of beer that I can remember ...

stevie

Aug 27, 2022
I used to live opposite danske hus, above a boutique called Snob. Boots the chemist was opposite me too.

Dinner with Gotsmanov

NSC Patron
May 30, 2014
Worthing
Very late to this thread and apologies if the following have been mentioned and I have missed these:

Dayvilles ice cream parlour in North Street - 32(?) flavours in 1977, America Had landed in Brighton!

Crocketts/the Electric Grape, basement bar in Queens Road, great post-punkery memories

The Thurlow, Edward Street - Friday lunchtime treat, then back to Amex House, to while away the afternoon before the weekend.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Very late to this thread and apologies if the following have been mentioned and I have missed these:

Dayvilles ice cream parlour in North Street - 32(?) flavours in 1977, America Had landed in Brighton!

Crocketts/the Electric Grape, basement bar in Queens Road, great post-punkery memories

The Thurlow, Edward Street - Friday lunchtime treat, then back to Amex House, to while away the afternoon before the weekend.

I’ve mentioned The Electric Grape in the past …. a cute little bar in the early 80’s playing new wave. We were 16 and 17, it was magical. Was it on two floors using the basement?

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009
Was also called the whippet Inn at one point. Still a pretty cool bar

Dinner with Gotsmanov

NSC Patron
May 30, 2014
Worthing
I’ve mentioned The Electric Grape in the past …. a cute little bar in the early 80’s playing new wave. We were 16 and 17, it was magical. Was it on two floors using the basement?
Sorry, I must have missed your mention of it. I always skulked off to the basement bar rather than upstairs, underage drinking hidden from the street view.

Diocletian

Feb 16, 2023
Some great venues above most of which I have frequented.
Two more to add
The Athenian greek restaurant bottom of Preston Street was brilliant.
Was a regular from mid 70's until it closed in around the 90's.
Another great place was the Albany club in Regency Square.
Started going in the 1980's and was one of the few places you could get a drink outside of pub hours.
Sarah and Alan were great owners and the clientele were 'very' interesting!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here