Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Yes. But Apu represents and entire continent of people. There are multiple Europeans and other white characters.
Its of its time, its insensitive now. We can do better, they can do better.

And if you tolerate this, then Krusty The Clown will be next...

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I remember seeing a short documentary on the Simpsons, when it was a bit part of the Tracy Ullman show.

One of the points it made at length was that the main characters were not black or white. At that time,most black viewers believed the Simpsons to be a black family and white viewers the opposite.

Not relevant, but it is interesting that they retained natural skin shade for the Apu character only.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
It's a cartoon........meh!

And so was this

00jewishED1.JPG

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
This.

And this.

Unless you have been intimidated for your skin colour, or place of birth, you cannot know what it is like for those who have.

I am a white man. I was born in Brighton. I moved to Liverpool when I was 9. I got totally hammered for being "posh" a "cockney" or just "bender"

the few black,Asian or other kids suffered or they became the hardest kids in school.

Life is hard. What are you gonna do about it ffs.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
I am a white man. I was born in Brighton. I moved to Liverpool when I was 9. I got totally hammered for being "posh" a "cockney" or just "bender"

the few black,Asian or other kids suffered or they became the hardest kids in school.

Experienced similar growing up in Sussex and then moving to Birmingham, but being picked on for being ‘posh’ isn’t even close to the same as getting grief because of the colour of your skin.

WonderingSoton

Dec 3, 2014
I remember seeing a short documentary on the Simpsons, when it was a bit part of the Tracy Ullman show.

One of the points it made at length was that the main characters were not black or white. At that time,most black viewers believed the Simpsons to be a black family and white viewers the opposite.

Not relevant, but it is interesting that they retained natural skin shade for the Apu character only.

There are various African American characters in the show. Perhaps most prominent is Homer's work mate Carl, one of the most intelligent residents in Springfield - an actual nuclear physicist (unlike silly Homer).

Dr Hibbert would appear to be of mixed race, and is the most competent medical professional constantly fixing the Simpson family (in contrast to Dr Nick).

There's also Officer Lou, often portrayed as the only police officer with any common sense in contrast to the stupid Chief Wigum.

Also Judge Snyder - another African American.

Lisa's absolute hero is Bleeding Gums Murphy.

All of these African American characters are portrayed in the best possible light, as some of the most intelligent characters in critical positions around Springfield. Nuclear Physicist, Doctor, competent Police Officer, Judge, musical legend.

There's other lesser characters such as (off the top of my head) Drederick Tatum and Lucius Sweet who were parodies of Mike Tyson and Don King respectively, making them African American in colour served to make that parody more obvious to viewers.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
There are various African American characters in the show. Perhaps most prominent is Homer's work mate Carl, one of the most intelligent residents in Springfield - an actual nuclear physicist (unlike silly Homer).

Dr Hibbert would appear to be of mixed race, and is the most competent medical professional constantly fixing the Simpson family.

There's also Officer Lou, often portrayed as the only police officer with any common sense in contrast to the stupid Chief Wigum.

Also Judge Snyder - another African American.

Lisa's absolute hero is Bleeding Gums Murphy.

All of these African American characters are portrayed in the best possible light, as some of the most intelligent characters in critical positions around Springfield. Nuclear Physicist, Doctor, competent Police Officer, Judge, musical legend.

There's other lesser characters such as (off the top of my head) Drederick Tatum and Lucius Sweet who were parodies of Mike Tyson and Don King respectively, making them African American in colour served to make that parody more obvious to viewers.

Very true, I'm not an avid watcher.. I recalled Dr Hibbert after I posted.

I assume that maybe these characters weren't present during the original series? or maybe it was just a very lazy documentary..... or maybe I just missed the point they were making??

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Yes. But Apu represents and entire continent of people. There are multiple Europeans and other white characters.
Its of its time, its insensitive now. We can do better, they can do better.

Did you mean to quote my post and not yours? :)

Anyway, I disagree. Firstly he's not representative of an 'entire continent', (he's only an Indian Hindu so he doesn't represent Muslim Pakistanis). Secondly - does the size of the (supposedly) offended group really matter? If he was an Eskimo would that be ok? After all they're white-ish.

And thirdly, I don't think it's an insensitive portrayal at all. He's portrayed as a kind-hearted, good and loyal man who always does his best for his family and the local community. Not exactly Shylock.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

I experienced the same moving to Yorkshire when I got married. I had eggs thrown at the house, totally ignored by other women because I was too posh for them, with a young baby. I had to get on with it.

Experienced similar growing up in Sussex and then moving to Birmingham, but being picked on for being ‘posh’ isn’t even close to the same as getting grief because of the colour of your skin.

Exactly. It is still known to have lynchings in America just for the colour of your skin.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I have two Asian foster sisters, and one Asian foster brother, we all grew up in a small Sussex village in the sixties.All three experienced racial abuse of different kinds, my younger sister being called ‘a paki’ by a teacher being one of the most memorable. My brother being the only one in his class not invited to a classmates birthday party, and, getting into numerous fights because he didn’t like being called a wog, a coon or a ******. Me personally getting the cane for punching a kid for calling my little sister a darkie ****, my Mum being spat at on a shopping trip in Brighton because a woman thought she had two white kids( my real sister and me) and one Asian child.

I only ever experienced racism by proxy, it’s not very pleasant even in that form.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
They're not stereotyping Indians.

The shows foundation is the stereotypical suburban American town.

Fat and lazy American - Check
Incompetent and bumbling white Policeman - Check
Cliche Mexican entertainer - Check
Indian shop attendant - Check
Drugged up hippy - Check
Stereotyped Scot - Check
Stereotyped Belgian child - Check
Italian gangsters, psycho clowns, the list goes on.

The Simsons IS a total Sterotype of everything and everyone. Either no one should be offended, or absolutely everyone should be offended.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I experienced the same moving to Yorkshire when I got married. I had eggs thrown at the house, totally ignored by other women because I was too posh for them, with a young baby. I had to get on with it.

Exactly. It is still known to have lynchings in America just for the colour of your skin.

Jesus? Really..that's harsh.

I'm not sure about Yorkshire folk and their legendary "friendliness" they seem like a right miserable bunch of ********s.

And as for "cheeky scousers" they can be merciless.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Jesus? Really..that's harsh.

I'm not sure about Yorkshire folk and their legendary "friendliness" they seem like a right miserable bunch of ********s.

And as for "cheeky scousers" they can be merciless.

It was the particular town we moved to, when my ex came out of the Navy. Six years later we managed to buy our own house in another town which was a lot better. I still got the 'You're not from round here are you?' but not as aggressive.

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
There are plenty of other shows with Indian actors like Big Bang, The Americans, Anger Management and Parks and Recreations. All have elements of stereotyping but portray all people in different social situations.

IMO it is not the stereotype that creates the racism, its the racists that use the stereotype. If they werent on TV the racists would find other things to use. You have to address the culprits not the easy 'stereotyped, excuses.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here