Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Old Grey Whistle Test to return - BBC4 tonight

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

The one the ultra trendy hosts (Hepworth and Ellen?) didn't show on the final show (a countdown of the best 20 (or 50 or 100 or whatever) best bits) because it wasn't their sort of trendy. Everybody was waiting for Freebird to come on - number 3? No.... Number 2? No...... Must be number 1 then? No, Freebird just didn't feature at all.............

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The one the ultra trendy hosts (Hepworth and Ellen?) didn't show on the final show (a countdown of the best 20 (or 50 or 100 or whatever) best bits) because it wasn't their sort of trendy. Everybody was waiting for Freebird to come on - number 3? No.... Number 2? No...... Must be number 1 then? No, Freebird just didn't feature at all.............

How about Sultans of Swing by Dire Straits? Did that feature? I clearly remember being blown away by this unknown (to me) band when it aired on OGWT. One of my favourite memories of the show. It was a place where you often heard bands you didn’t know.

John Otway and Wild Willie Barret doing “Really Free” was another standout highlight for me.

I also have fond memories of the Jackson Browne set which Whispering Bob introduced as something he’d been looking forward to the most in that year. I wonder if [MENTION=1510]Binney on acid[/MENTION], NSC’s other big Jackson Browne fan saw that set?

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
How about Sultans of Swing by Dire Straits? Did that feature? I clearly remember being blown away by this unknown (to me) band when it aired on OGWT. One of my favourite memories of the show. It was a place where you often heard bands you didn’t know.

John Otway and Wild Willie Barret doing “Really Free” was another standout highlight for me.

I also have fond memories of the Jackson Browne set which Whispering Bob introduced as something he’d been looking forward to the most in that year. I wonder if [MENTION=1510]Binney on acid[/MENTION], NSC’s other big Jackson Browne fan saw that set?

Can't remember what their number 1 was - I was so disgusted I switched off (that being the reasonable alternative to hurling a pint glass at the tele, which also briefly went through my mind!)

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
OGWT on BBC 4

Three hour special tonight, Whispering Bob Hosting - there must be some good stuff on there but my memory from the 70's & 80's was usually disappointment on the whole.

They never had the really big Bands (for obvious reasons - why would Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd come and play a live set?) and much of the rest was dross but hopefully some good editing has taken place and we will see Roxy Music and Bob Marley etc..

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Three hour special tonight, Whispering Bob Hosting - there must be some good stuff on there but my memory from the 70's & 80's was usually disappointment on the whole.

They never had the really big Bands (for obvious reasons - why would Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd come and play a live set?) and much of the rest was dross but hopefully some good editing has taken place and we will see Roxy Music and Bob Marley etc..

What? It was a brilliant programme with hardly any dross (unlike TOTP). There's so much I hope to see again, but if I had to pick just one it would be Lynyrd Skynyrd.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
I believe Gary Numan is on tonight, showcasing a new track and a stripped back version of Are Friends Electric... Should be good!

He is.
https://twitter.com/numanofficial/status/966970401770364928
As well as Albert Lee, and Guests (being interviewed) include Dave Stewart, Joan Armatrading, Ian Anderson, Chris Difford, Kiki Dee, and Danny Baker.
There's also a whole bunch of archive footage. you can vote for a clip via
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006zbkl
More info via https://twitter.com/bbcfour/

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Fully expecting it to be like the OGWT of yesteryear: half of it unmissable, half of it unwatchable, according to your personal musical tastes.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Back in the day Curtis Mayfield sang "Move on Up" and another song that escapes me on the OGWT and they were two of the most uplifting and life-affirming performances I had/have ever seen on tv - pure class.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
OGWT was a must see back in the day. Whispering Bob was my favourite presenter, laid back hippy so in keeping with the era and the programme. Looking forward to having a watch tonight. As THPP says it was 50/50 dross/great but nearly always something for everyone and the launch pad to commercial success for quite a few bands/artists.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Bob was on radio5 today plugging it. The prog is going to include one of his all time greats, Bob Marley & de Wailors 1973.

Loved the OGWT. Bands were given loads of time. Although too young at the time for much of it, have watched many videos since of the likes of Roxy Music, Talking Heads, The Undertones possibly. Great.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Back in the day Curtis Mayfield sang "Move on Up" and another song that escapes me on the OGWT and they were two of the most uplifting and life-affirming performances I had/have ever seen on tv - pure class.

"Got to have peace" ?

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
I attended a recording of the show when I was young (well I would have been seeing as it was in the 80's) and saw Japan feat David Sylvian - or whatever his name was - I don't know why seeing as I really didn't like them!

A free evening out with girls involved if I remember correctly.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Steve Hillage stands out for me as I'd never heard of him before and ended up seeing him in concert at the Dome a few weeks later. Another stand out memory was a Whistle Test special which wasn't recorded in the studio but was a whole programme dedicated to a showing of a concert of Bob Dylan's Rolling Thunder Review recorded in Colorado. It was shown on 28th September 1976 and kicked off that year's OGWT series.

http://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/33d4f1bbe3e84eb191986082927b8570

Just found the BBC2 tv listing for that day. Started with Open University ( probably presented by a Bob Harris lookalike as it often was in those days with OGWT starting at 23.10
http://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/schedules/bbctwo/england/1976-09-28

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here