Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Homophobic abuse by Fulham fans yesterday

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Just one thing on the equating 'does your boyfriend?' to 'sheep-shagging' and 'inbred' abuse.

I find it very unlikely that there are many children at football matches who are becoming aware that they want to commit incest or bestiality. If they are, it's probably not a bad idea that they are put off it.

Law of averages suggests that there are plenty of kids in our stadium that will experiment with their sexuality. Why should they be made to feel as if that is wrong?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
So how did your friend attract homophobic abuse from brighton fans causing him to not come to matches anymore , I'd be interested to know the circumstances ?

If it's the same mutual friend as [MENTION=14365]Thunder Bolt[/MENTION] might be referencing, then that mutual friend was subject to some quite vile personal abuse at Withdean. That person is a very strong personality and a passionate Albion fan, but on one occasion I recall it reduced them to tears. They'd done absolutely nothing whatsoever to warrant it. Never fully realised what was going on at the time, thought it was just some random nutter or something, plus we'd just scored, so it all just sort of got thrown in the mix of the moment. Only later realised quite how devastatingly hurtful it had been.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If it's the same mutual friend as [MENTION=14365]Thunder Bolt[/MENTION] might be referencing, then that mutual friend was subject to some quite vile personal abuse at Withdean. That person is a very strong personality and a passionate Albion fan, but on one occasion I recall it reduced them to tears. They'd done absolutely nothing whatsoever to warrant it. Never fully realised what was going on at the time, thought it was just some random nutter or something, plus we'd just scored, so it all just sort of got thrown in the mix of the moment. Only later realised quite how devastatingly hurtful it had been.

Yes, you're right and the internet is not as anonymous as people think.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
look around the Amex, it's probably full of your stereotypes :rolleyes:

regards
DR

I doubt that. I rather suspect that most are tolerant of others regardless of sexuality, race or religion.
Doubtless there are some others like you though. :shrug:

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
It's perfectly possible to indulge in terrace-related banter, without resorting to homophobia and/or racism.

Not that our resident knuckle-dragging geezers would appreciate that.

You mean that people don't have to mock others for their skin colour, over which they have no choice, or for which genitalia they prefer, over which they also have no choice ?

Madness, it'll never catch on.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
It's perfectly possible to indulge in terrace-related banter, without resorting to homophobia and/or racism.

Not that our resident knuckle-dragging geezers would appreciate that.

I would agree except for your use of the word 'banter'. Which I totally find fu*king unacceptable

Anyone catch the Adrian Chiles documentary last night? A reminder of just how widely accepted racism was in football not so long ago, and the effect it had on black players and potential (in the main) black supporters. Apologies if this is already covered elsewhere.

Things are so much better than they were, both in terms of racism and homophobia. I have never heard any racism, and only one genuinely offensive homphobic comment (from an opposition supporter) in the last few years. But made me wonder how many of the older generation of fans still hold the same views, even if they know they are no longer allowed to express them.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Can someone explain the difference between-
"does your boyfriend know...."
and the chant to the Keeper
"Your sh*t aaaagggghhhh"
So one is Homophobic but is said in jest whilst one is a personal insult to the keeper.

Jan 30, 2008
"Your sh*t aaaagggghhhh"
So one is Homophobic but is said in jest whilst one is a personal insult to the keeper.

it's all be blown out of all proportion it really has, despite what hiney says i've never been Involved in terrace" bantz" about gays and joe dakis, couldn't make all this shit up !!!
regards
DR

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
"Your sh*t aaaagggghhhh"
'Does your boyfriend' is indiscriminate in that it categorises all Brighton as gay. 'You're shit etc' is aimed at all goalies as a pee take. The boyfriend chant in my opinion is at the less harmful end of abuse as it's most probably a little tongue in cheek, although it annoys me. I've been called a paedophile gay by screaming Millwall and palace fans when my two children were very young, and I find that totally unacceptable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here