Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The most horrible places to shop in Brighton, Hove and surrounding areas.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Anywhere on London road.

I walked along there Sunday lunchtime, every other shop had a beggar complete with dog outside, it was filthy dirty with rubbish everywhere. Half of it needs knocking down.

I think you're wrong. It's roughish now but doesn't need knocking down at all because London Road has a quality that few streets have. Look above the tatty fascias and you'll see that almost every building is actually very nice. Real quality is there. Lovely Victorians lurk and there are some good interwar facades too. Unlike, say, North Street, it's been saved from ruthless developers by its very tattyness. London Road's day will come - with municipal support it'll be the Upper Street of Brighton one day.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Boundary road and all the shops that reside on it are horrific. Sorry for completely overseeing that one, however it's an experience firmly put to the back of my mind.

Michael Keehan's old furniture emporium opposite the junction with New Church Road is nice, with reasonable prices and a family connection with the Albion's Withdean years.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Sadly London Road is (very) slowly on the up. Where am I going to go for my between series fix of the Walking Dead now? It's really not on.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I think you're wrong. It's roughish now but doesn't need knocking down at all because London Road has a quality that few streets have. Look above the tatty fascias and you'll see that almost every building is actually very nice. Real quality is there. Lovely Victorians lurk and there are some good interwar facades too. Unlike, say, North Street, it's been saved from ruthless developers by its very tattyness. London Road's day will come - with municipal support it'll be the Upper Street of Brighton one day.

Absolutely this. I really like London Road, even liked it a few years ago before the gentrification - proper shops and pubs (except The Branch, which is horrible) and the buildings are truly lovely.

Western Road on the other hand ....

paulie49

May 17, 2013
London Road is certainly on the way up. There are many shopkeepers trying to make a difference. Look at The Open Market, early days but the good work in there will spread out into London Road and it will improve over the next few years. Need more people with faith and ambition to help with the pace.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here