Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cricket quiz question.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
There have been several but I suspect you have a likable Pakistani in mind...

:) Yeah, I should have said 'in the same team', not just father/son combination. I think that would have narrowed it down just to Javed Miandad!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Individual.
Roy Swann played Minor Counties and top club cricket and is still playing at 66. Mel Hussain ( 53 ) was on Hampshire's books for a while and has played top club cricket for many years. Only 25 people have achieved this feat in the history of first class cricket and there are not many at lower levels of cricket who do it.

Scored a hundred hundreds?

Is that the answer?

100 tons isn't THAT rare at 'lower levels' is it? I've played with at least one who has done it locally, and my Dad might well have too, but isn't the type to take note.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Is that the answer?

100 tons isn't THAT rare at 'lower levels' is it? I've played with at least one who has done it locally, and my Dad might well have too, but isn't the type to take note.

No...not that rare but also not that common.
If you play for 40 years, you have to make 2-3 a season, every season and thats more than most amateurs( and a helluva lot of pro's ) achieve.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
There are some prolific ton makers but other heavy run scorers who don't get the same number of hundreds. Jim Parks played from 1949 to 1972 and made 51. Ken Suttle played from 1949 to 1971 and made 49. Both prolific run getters.
Dexter, however only played about 9-10 full seasons for Sussex and made 51 centuries in that short time.

Footnote.
Who is the only Sussex player to have twice made a double century and a century in the same match?

Also....when Sussex won the first two limited overs finals at Lords ( Gillette Cup ) in 1963 and 1964, how many overs per side was it?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Footnote.
Who is the only Sussex player to have twice made a double century and a century in the same match?

Murray Goodwin - I know that one.

Also....when Sussex won the first two limited overs finals at Lords ( Gillette Cup ) in 1963 and 1964, how many overs per side was it?

65 overs a side?

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
For anyone getting 100 tons that is an awesome achievement.

That said, I would counter that if they were mostly for a village 2nd XI [or similar] where the player was the proverbial big fish in a little pond [aka flat-track bully], electing not to seek challenges at a higher standard, then this devalues the achievement somewhat.

A mate of mine once hit 181 n/o in a Sunday friendly game - he's a decent bowler not renown for his batting - he speaks of his bowling achievements and never reminds us of his 181 slog on a road against cafeteria bowling.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
For anyone getting 100 tons that is an awesome achievement.

That said, I would counter that if they were mostly for a village 2nd XI [or similar] where the player was the proverbial big fish in a little pond [aka flat-track bully], electing not to seek challenges at a higher standard, then this devalues the achievement somewhat.

A mate of mine once hit 181 n/o in a Sunday friendly game - he's a decent bowler not renown for his batting - he speaks of his bowling achievements and never reminds us of his 181 slog on a road against cafeteria bowling.

As stated previously, Ray Swann had county trials and played at the next highest level ( Minor Counties and top league cricket ) Mel Hussain was on Hampshire's books and has played minor representative and top league cricket for 30+ years. Swann had 114 tons at the last count and Hussain is close to 120.
I was once told that Andy Meads, who played for years for Three Bridges and now appears for Sussex over 70's is past 175 tons!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here