Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

St Patrick day why so much fuss in this country about it

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
quite possibly....the whole paddy's day thing is driven by guinness and the irish pub industry , however there is nothing wrong with having a day of celebrations to remember your heritage in my opinion , unless you are English of course........welsh , scots , irish , swedes , latvians , eritreans , fins......etc etc etc are all perfectly free to celebrate their heritage but not us......why is that ....apathy....??

You should celebrate St Patrick, he was a true Briton.

St George never even set foot on Briton soil. Maybe thats the issue.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Loads of Irish pubs all around the world promote the day for a good piss up/party. Many people in many countries of many backgrounds need only the slightest excuse for a piss up/party and will happily join in.

I had the luck(or not) to be in the states for paddys day a couple of years ago.I
I would have been out on the beer anyway went to an Irish pub with my sisters "Irish" friends who all seem to have stories about originating from Ireland yet somehow all seem to have German or Polish sounding surnames.
The Food and drink were superb. The atmosphere was excellent as well. We did share however quite a few confused glances(we are half jocks) as the indoor music system boomed out great Irish pipe tunes on repeat all night like Mull OF Kintyre,Black Bear,Highland Laddie and Scotland The Brave.

Great piss up I grant you and good fun…….but what a bunch of plastic wannabee turds.

It should be noted I have also attended a St Georges day barny in the states also amongst a small ex pat community. I knew I was amongst friends even before the fake fish and chips came out when the first person to turn up threw an absolute wobbly that he was supposed to wear a name tag American style,"I might decide to leave this place in utter disgrace……why would I want people to know who I am"he complained.

Rule Britannia !!

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Neither did Jesus or Muhamhead

best give them a swerve as well

61761011.jpg

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Neither did Jesus or Muhamhead

best give them a swerve as well

But there are those who believe Jesus did! As per the words of Jerusalem - and did those feet in ancient times etc etc. I think the favourite is that he went to Glastonbury - probably for an early festival.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
But there are those who believe Jesus did! As per the words of Jerusalem - and did those feet in ancient times etc etc. I think the favourite is that he went to Glastonbury - probably for an early festival.

and some believe he went to the USA and hey presto mormons........funny old world

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Loads of Irish pubs all around the world promote the day for a good piss up/party. Many people in many countries of many backgrounds need only the slightest excuse for a piss up/party and will happily join in.

Agreed. It's massive here too.

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove

Who was headlining?

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
I think of glad all over when we beat Palace 3-0 on St Patrick day
U tube mid Sussex seagulls glad all over have look.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think he was sorting out the catering - plenty of everyone if they didn't mind bread and fish. Still, the wine wouldn't run out

He also always manages to squeeze 40 days and 40 nights of rain into the first day.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I think the Irish are going through a major image change. I mean, the old image of Leprechauns, shamrocks, Guinness, horses running through council estates, toothless simpletons, people with eyebrows on their cheeks, badly tarmacced drives........... in this country, men in platform shoes being arrested for bombings, lots of rocks, and Beamish. I think people are saying yes, there's more to Ireland than this.

A good slogan for the tourist board...............................
Deres more to Oireland dan dis.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
It's an excuse for people to have a few drinks and enjoy themselves.

What's the problem with that?

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
You should see what it's like in New York. Makes the Uk look like a village party.

The most ridiculous over the top celebration for something which is nothing to do with Americans. Virtually every pub had special booze offers, people take the afternoon off to get pissed. Everyone wears green.......

The US has a weird obsession with the Irish. Looking at the huge march past St Patrick's cathedral, you'd think every single member of the NYPD was from Dublin.

Definitely the best day to commit a crime in NYC.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here