Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Leaving early

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Such a shame that those racing for the exits are missing out on what can be one of the most pleasurable parts of the Amex matchday experience.

The buzz in the concourses post-match – especially West Lower – is something very special. Match highlights, beers, hot drinks, pies, and a chance to chat about the game with fellow fans in a warm, friendly atmosphere. It's even more special when we've won. And when it is time to leave, the queues are so much shorter – or vanished entirely.

The fact you can do this for a couple of hours if you want is something that happens nowhere else in the country. It's simply extraordinary.

Would I swap all of that for racing for the train or bus queue just to get back to what passes for real life an hour earlier? No chance.

£1.99

Mar 3, 2008
Once driverless vehicles are the only things on the roads you should see a vast improvement in leaving big events!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Such a shame that those racing for the exits are missing out on what can be one of the most pleasurable parts of the Amex matchday experience.

The buzz in the concourses post-match – especially West Lower – is something very special. Match highlights, beers, hot drinks, pies, and a chance to chat about the game with fellow fans in a warm, friendly atmosphere. It's even more special when we've won. And when it is time to leave, the queues are so much shorter – or vanished entirely.

The fact you can do this for a couple of hours if you want is something that happens nowhere else in the country. It's simply extraordinary.

Would I swap all of that for racing for the train or bus queue just to get back to what passes for real life an hour earlier? No chance.

I can see the attraction, I have great memories of staying late drinking in the NS on warm sunny days e.g. after the end of season hammering of Wolves.

But masses of other don’t like spending long periods standing. Perhaps older legs. Plus much of the fanbase have kids witb them, or simply (this might sound unbelievable) don’t like drinking!

I can see the attraction, I have great memories of staying late drinking in the NS on warm sunny days e.g. after the end of season hammering of Wolves.

But masses of other don’t like spending long periods standing. Perhaps older legs. Plus much of the fanbase have kids witb them, or simply (this might sound unbelievable) don’t like drinking!

Or could be that people find it a complete waste of time and money hanging about on what resembles a train platform?

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
I really don't understand people leaving early. I wasn't drinking yesterday but it didn't bother me waiting around in the north stand watching the rugby and seeing the albion highlights on the screens for 45 mins. Not the end of the world is it.

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
I think everyone should have to swipe their season tickets on leaving, too. Introduce a sliding scale - leave on or before 80 mins docked 50 loyalty points etc. We have the technology, it's only a matter of time.

I really don't understand people leaving early. I wasn't drinking yesterday but it didn't bother me waiting around in the north stand watching the rugby and seeing the albion highlights on the screens for 45 mins. Not the end of the world is it.
I

I would find watching TV on a draughty concourse as 45 minutes wasted. Thb. Not the end of the world but why would I want to spend time doing that when I could be almost home by joing the p and r queues on 85 minutes?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I

I would find watching TV on a draughty concourse as 45 minutes wasted. Thb. Not the end of the world but why would I want to spend time doing that when I could be almost home by joing the p and r queues on 85 minutes?

Why would you even leave the comfort of your home to miss the last 5+injury time of every game. Might as well stay indoors.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Left on the final whistle, being in the East stand yesterday was pretty soul destroying atmosphere wise, but is brilliant for getting in the p+r queue. Managed to get on the last racecourse bus and back to Crickhowell for the ten o’clock news (following a Tuckers burger in Kemp Town).

I’m in WSU and right in the middle of the block. If I was next to an aisle I could probably chance it.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
I know it doesn't suit everyone but as usual we stayed for a post match pint watched the highlight's in the West Lower concourse walked down to the station, no queues on the bridge and waited five minutes for the Lewes train which was fairly empty.
It works well for me that some leave early as it makes my journey easier.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
I know, I know it has been on this board so many times already. I also know the usual sentiment towards those who leave early.

Having waited for almost an hour to get on a park and ride at the last game I took my son to, then having got to my car doing the hour and a bit drive home, we got up and left a couple minutes early today. I didnt want to miss seeing Locadia score, but of course he did.

So what's the point of this post? When we got outside it struck me how many people were running... hundreds of people were running...either to the car park, the trains or the busses. I mean really running...in droves.

These people arn't running to make sure they miss last minute goals. They're running because getting out of the Amex is painful and no-one likes sitting in their car or waiting for a bus for an hour. Something must be able to improve the flow through. Dedicated bus lanes in and out of the stadium with more busses? Something.

As for the geniuses that text into BBC Sussex to grumble about people leaving early...most folks dont want to.

We always leave after the final whistle.....have a brisk walk to the Mill Road bus queue ( to old to run) get on a bendy bus normally within 30 mins, Arrive Mill Hill normally about 17:30
Get home by 20:00 ( yes 8pm) stop moaning.....................

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Just fans.

No. Those that stay can describe themselves as better supporters if they get pleasure from that. They are not bigger fans!
Makes me laugh when the stayers assume early leavers are gutted when we miss a last minute goal. They couldn't be more wrong, we just celebrate whilst running towards the trains.

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
I

And missing goals? or potentially the most important part of the match if the game was say 1-1 or 0-0. Madness

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
No. Those that stay can describe themselves as better supporters if they get pleasure from that. They are not bigger fans!
Makes me laugh when the stayers assume early leavers are gutted when we miss a last minute goal. They couldn't be more wrong, we just celebrate whilst running towards the trains.

How was Pointless Celebraties last night?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Very odd behaviour. Celebrating that you've missed something.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
We always leave after the final whistle.....have a brisk walk to the Mill Road bus queue ( to old to run) get on a bendy bus normally within 30 mins, Arrive Mill Hill normally about 17:30
Get home by 20:00 ( yes 8pm) stop moaning.....................

Leave at full time que for the train.
In my car at about 5.30 and get in the door at 9.00pm

You never miss the end of a film at a cinema so why leave before a game is over
( Unless your playing away and getting battered!! )

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here