Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] British players

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
This for me a more telling factor is the lack of English players going abroad. Other countries have players playing around the globe but for us they stay at home in the lower leagues. This results in a reducing number of English players playing at the top level unlike other countries.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
And people wonder why the England team isn't any good.

But the England team has never been any good! In terms of competitive international football 1966 wasn't the end of some golden era; it was an aberration, a single golden moment in a history of under-achievement (and occasional humiliation).

And we have always had non-English players (Scots, Welsh and Irish) in top English teams.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
But the England team has never been any good! In terms of competitive international football 1966 wasn't the end of some golden era; it was an aberration, a single golden moment in a history of under-achievement (and occasional humiliation).

And we have always had non-English players (Scots, Welsh and Irish) in top English teams.

My thread title referred to British players, not just English players.

I think I was surprised when I saw the line up yesterday looking at the Watford side, who in the past ( and it probably was a long tine ago) were a bastion for British players. I suppose when you sell your soul and club to foreign owners they are going to fill the team with foreign coaches who know their players.

Be interesting when brexit happens to see if the immigration debate applies to foreign based players

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Why does it matter that our footballers should be British? It's ridiculous. Our most popular dish is an indian Curry, all our cars are made from abroad, our royal family are German, Fish n Chips comes from Portugal and Spain, Morris dancing is Italian, a cup a tea is Indian and Tomato sauce is Chinese.

IF the England national team has dropped in standard due to the influx of foreigners playing in England, then why has our national team always been crap? Didn't England lose to the USA in the 1950 world cup? Weren't the USA team full of amateurs when they beat us back then?
If anything, the quality of English football has greatly improved due to the improvement in standard with much better foreigners coming over and showing us a better skill and technical level than the likes of Carlton Palmer and Trevor Francis ever did.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
This for me a more telling factor is the lack of English players going abroad. Other countries have players playing around the globe but for us they stay at home in the lower leagues. This results in a reducing number of English players playing at the top level unlike other countries.

I hope we're slowly seeing a change in that. Jadon Sancho left in the summer and signed for Dortmund because he couldn't see a way to break into the fist team. A few English players have also headed to RB Leipzig. Ademola Lookman turned down Derby to go there on loan for the rest of season, Reece Oxford was also on loan there earlier this season (and is now at Borussia Monchengladbach).

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Why does it matter that our footballers should be British?.

It doesn't and I agree with you it is debatable whether the National Team was ever any good.

It is however mildly ironic that one of the reasons given for the break away of the Premier League was that it would improve the national team.

It shouldn't be a difficult debate to have. International sport is based on which nationality you are. Club level sport isn't. Since they inter-linked what effect is one having on the other ?

It's sport I'm afraid not a job at the council. Selection for the "big job" actively discriminates on the basis of nationality, selection for the junior jobs doesn't. Since the "workplace" is where everyone wants to work, the pool of acceptable candidates for "big job" (based on the current selection criteria) is diminished.

What's even weirder (if you look at like this) is that some junior staff pop off and become members of the board for a foreign company for a few weeks. When they have finished that "role" they return to their junior job in the Premier League.

I say this from a position of objectivity because I'm one of those people who fails to get excited by international sport.

Secondly (and I'm not suggesting you are) I get very tired of comparisons between the "world of work" as we understand it and sport. If you view the world like that you also have to accept that sport is a very odd workplace.

I even attended a workshop relatively recently where the leader suggested we should learn a lot from the world of cycling. I suggested he reads the papers :)

Last edited:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Good kids will go out on loan abroad or to the Championship and if they do well then they'll get their chance in the Prem.

I think the 'English' problem is more acute when it comes to managers. All of the Top 6 are coached by foreigners, and there's no likelihood of an Englishman getting one of the top jobs any time soon. If the FA persist in appointing an Englishman as England coach then we are destined to have a coach who has won bugger all at the helm for years to come.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here