Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Tony Bloom lumps yet another £8m on his Albion Premier League dream

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
That's essentially what he's done with Dale Stephens isn't it?

After stumping up for the Amex, the training complex and picking up financial loss season after season, it might have been easy to take Burnley's money and lock in a return on Dale Stephens, but he didn't.

It's hard to imagine Stephens is a particularly happy chappy this evening, but he has 10 days to get over his sulks, get his head together and once again put in the kind of performances that we know he is capable of, and that will have Premier League suitors coveting his signature in the future. And, if the Albion do make it this season, he may be happy to stay put and experience the Premier League from familiar surroundings.

And that's putting aside Anthony Knockaert and Lewis Dunk. If bids had been accepted in addition to that for Stephens, £30m could be sitting in the Albion's bank account tonight.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I think they've gone wrong somewhere in the striker business, but aside from that no-one can have any grumbles. They've kept the team together.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Yep - keep the faith - and the toys in people :thumbsup:

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Very good window to be fair as the squad is very strong although one blip is having just 3 strikers to rely on....maybe January we'll get a quality striker in.

No complaints and we're still looking good :)

jabba

Jul 15, 2009
York
Generally agree but can't help thinking that if Stevens was so keen to go, we should have let him and re-invested the money in the squad.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I don't know. It's a strange one for me.

I've been desperately hoping all summer to hang onto Dale at all costs, but at the same time I was taking for granted that we'd definitely be bringing in another striker.

Maybe Winstanley and co thought they had total job security after AK, so took the summer off. Seems bizarre that one target falls through then we subsequently fail to bring in at all for that position.

larus

Agreed he has done well but short sighted not to have gone the step extra and signed a striker to make it more likely....

Yeah, it's so easy to spend £10m-£20m of someone elses money. Last season we were the highest scorers in the league, and still people bleat on about another f***ing striker. Maybe all of these keyboard warriors know the sum of f*** all. If our defence had been better last year, we would have gone up.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
The successful teams always keep their best assets.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Could have been £200M up by now strengthening from a position of strength last January with £8m spent then,that said we continue.....it's not my money,i am grateful,but.....well as you say we all have 10 days,we will be alright.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
The ground and training ground are mortgaged and are ASSETS which will appreciate over time.
Players are ASSETS which depreciate over time.
Where is TB investing his COMPANY'S money?
I've had enough of this. Hands up who on here owns a football club? What's that, no one, funny that, because it costs a fortune, traditionally you have to be the richest person in a city to own that club. Therefore stop cryarsing that you sink loads into the club, that's the point. Otherwise everyone would have one.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Stephens will be fine after a couple of days reflection.

Play well and maybe get to the PL with albion. Play well and choose his own future in the summer.

We've kept Dunk and the defence looks stronger.

Central midfield is stronger.

Flank midfield now has Skalak, Knockaert, and March for full seasons. Stronger.

Strikers. 1 short. Hemed and Baldock were excellent together last year. And Murray is a 20 goal man.

Decent squad. Top 2. Might win it.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
We've got a solid defence and outstanding midfield. Murray is capable up front, Hemed bagged 17 last year in a weaker team. We'll be OK, and if reinforcements are required we've kept our powder dry for January.

A decent (if slightly boring) transfer deadline day.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Thank the fuc**ng Lord someone finally talking sense on this board tonight.

Spot on [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here