Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Before They Were Famous

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Another i've remembered...not before she was 'famous', but after.

A lady used to come into my work and she was a bit 'different'. Turns out that a few problems, not least caused or exacerbated (I honestly don't know) but copious narcotics (both legal and otherwise) but was usually very friendly. I got talking to her, and it turns out she has a cult following online...she appeared naked on a Syd Barrett album cover (they dated for a while) and claimed to have slept with Hendrix, Jagger...the stories check out too.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Clare Balding?
Toksvig?

Number one.....

If you've ever wondered what you missed out on you could purchase one of these from ebay for the bargain price of £2.85 and then simply ask your wife to wear it next time you get down and dirty. One point of consideration is you won't get the full desired effect used in conjunction with the reverse cowgirl position.

s-l400.jpg

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Claire-Bal...-Mask-All-Our-Masks-Are-Pre-Cut-/220988000607

If they've sold out of the Balding mask you could always plump for one of these for the same effect. The open mouth feature might also come in useful.

s-l400 (2).jpg

Last edited:

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
My guitar teacher growing up (and family friend) was the music teacher of Amy Winehouse and has some of the most fantastic stories. She was destined for stardom from very early on.

He also tells a lovely story of her, about two weeks before she died, bumping into him and asking if he recognised her.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
My guitar teacher growing up (and family friend) was the music teacher of Amy Winehouse and has some of the most fantastic stories. She was destined for stardom from very early on.

He also tells a lovely story of her, about two weeks before she died, bumping into him and asking if he recognised her.

She went to a stage school I believe? There’s a couple of episodes of a The Fast Show she can be spotted in. The Christmas special I believe is one of them. She looks about 6 yrs old in them.

Last edited:

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Oh Russell Beardsmore was in my class when I moved up north to live in Wigan/ Ashton-in-Makerfield
he was in the school team but nothing special, anyway he signed for Manchester United while still at school and was a Fergie Baby.
He was alright not big headed and was one of the only kids in fact who supported United at school who did not threaten to beat me up if we managed to beat them in the FA Cup reply after we drew in the first game, that monday morning was dreadful, even some teachers gave me a hard time "Extra homework for you freakout if you bum boys beat United" from the Geography teacher.
I saw him years later when we played Bournemouth (I think the riot game), think he is still at Bournemouth in some capacity.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
She went to a stage school I believe? There’s a couple of episodes of a The Fast Show she can be spotted in. The Christmas special I believe is one of them.

He taught her at both The Susi Earnshaw Theatre and at Ashmole School - Before and after she attended Sylvia Young's stage school.

Lurker

56 years and counting ...
Mar 8, 2010
West Midlands
"Extra homework for you freakout if you bum boys beat United" from the Geography teacher.

I would not for one second suggest any of the story is not true, but I would suggest your recollection of the conversation might be inaccurate?

Nobody referred to Brighton fans as bum boys in the early 80's.
I attended those Cup Finals, and at no stage can I recall the United fans chanting homophobic abuse towards us.
I do recall them throwing copious quantities of plastic cups full of beer all over us when Gordon Smith scored the opener, the b'stards, but no gay taunts.

The suggestion that we are all gay is a relatively more recent insult.
I wouldn't like to hazard a guess when it all started, mid 90's perhaps, (i really have no idea), but certainly not as early as the 80's.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I would not for one second suggest any of the story is not true, but I would suggest your recollection of the conversation might be inaccurate?

I attended those Cup Finals, and at no stage can I recall the United fans chanting homophobic abuse towards us.
I do recall them throwing copious quantities of plastic cups full of beer all over us when Gordon Smith scored the opener, the b'stards, but no gay taunts.

I wouldn't like to hazard a guess when it all started, mid 90's perhaps, (i really have no idea), but certainly not as early as the 80's.

Huh? Brighton as a town has been known as a Mecca for homosexuals since the 1940’s.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

Lurker, soft southern poof was what I was called on my first day at grammer school up north in Ashton-in-Makerfield that be the truth.
The Geography teacher, one of those that used to throw chalk dusters at us was proper old school and did call me a bum boy, along with southern fairy often.

Lurker

Mar 8, 2010
West Midlands
Huh? Brighton as a town has been known as a Mecca for homosexuals since the 1940’s.

Maybe it was amongst the homosexual community, I wouldn't know anything about that, but it wasn't regarded as such by general society, and more particularly by football fans, not until much later in the century.

dylan_bha

Sep 21, 2004
LA
My Aunty Janet used to date a guy in the mid/late 60's who lived about a mile away from our house in Bradford (I grew up there, too). His name was Chris. Said he was in a band, blah blah blah... She got sick of his dreamy 'I'm going to be famous' lines and dumped him in the end, even after tagging along and seeing a few of his working mens club 'gigs'.

Chris... was Chris Norman - Lead Singer in the band 'Smokey'.

D'oh.

Another one (who isn't famous, but mildly interesting) is the Cousin of my Step-Mother. She was a barmaid in a pub in somewhere in South Wales in the early 1970's, an absolute stonking looker, and Mick Fleetwood walked in. He spent the evening trying to get her to 'leave with him' and promised that he'd either write and song about her, or get their songwriter to do so. She offered him her phone number, and he promised he'd honour his end of the bargain.

Her name is Rhiannon.

I have no idea if she kept her end of the bargain, before you ask...

Have you ever seen Mick Fleetwood and Dick Knight in the same room??

Lurker

Mar 8, 2010
West Midlands
Lurker, soft southern poof was what I was called on my first day at grammer school up north in Ashton-in-Makerfield that be the truth.
The Geography teacher, one of those that used to throw chalk dusters at us was proper old school and did call me a bum boy, along with southern fairy often.

Yeah, I was also called a soft southerner when I first moved north of Brighton, so I can fully concur with that one, ... but I didn't hear bum boy and the like insults until much much later.
In this modern era of You Tube clips, maybe somebody will be able to post some early footage of opposing supporters chanting homophobic chants towards us in the 70's and 80's and I will then happily concede that my memory is flawed, because I still think it was a more recent phenomena.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Yeah, I was also called a soft southerner when I first moved north of Brighton, so I can fully concur with that one, ... but I didn't hear bum boy and the like insults until much much later.
In this modern era of You Tube clips, maybe somebody will be able to post some early footage of opposing supporters chanting homophobic chants towards us in the 70's and 80's and I will then happily concede that my memory is flawed, because I still think it was a more recent phenomena.

This was not at football it was in school, when being called a bummer, bender, or joey was common place.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Maybe it was amongst the homosexual community, I wouldn't know anything about that, but it wasn't regarded as such by general society, and more particularly by football fans, not until much later in the century.

Well, we’ll have to disagree there.

Lurker

Mar 8, 2010
West Midlands
Too busy abusing black players to worry about gays

Sadly, that is very true.
I may not remember homophobic abuse in those decades, but I certainly recall shed loads of racist abuse.

dylan_bha

Sep 21, 2004
LA
I was in the pilot of Covington Cross as a guard stood at the top of (Amberley) Castle. The other guard up there with me was Daniel Craig

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here