Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

UK net migration hits record high

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
You would think that sort of story would be on the Al Jazeera website Soulman. You sure it was Al Jazeera, and not some dodgy rightwing blog youre prone to promoting?
Would be unusual for Jazeera to be commenting on what the BBC does or doesnt do.
Why would they be offering their news story to another organisation, and why the BBC?

I said "according" to. I first heard that it was from an interview in Iraq, which apparently Al Jazeera got hold of. As you say probably a "dodgy rightwing blog".
https://twitter.com/zaidbenjamin/status/641790101945585664

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
[MENTION=534]Chicken Run[/MENTION] . I was very much hoping to have left by now also. Unfortunately my Stepfather was diagnosed with bowel cancer 3 months ago so I will be around until his treatment is over. Which his exactly the reason I politely asked you to stop harping on about it. If that's okay with you obviously?

Last edited:

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Like 'many' im tired of people posting 'news' from far right websites, but hey ho.

Well like "many" can get tired of (and i won't say "far" left as any view that you do not agree with has to be "far" right) left leaning views like pages and pages running down UKIP, same with the pages and pages on Corbyn, on the 7 point lead of Labour etc.........a difference of opinion, some from left leaning sources, and some from right leaning sources.....just a difference of opinion....or do you expect just the views and posts from websites you support.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I said "according" to. I first heard that it was from an interview in Iraq, which apparently Al Jazeera got hold of. As you say probably a "dodgy rightwing blog".
https://twitter.com/zaidbenjamin/status/641790101945585664

Hm ok .. Its a fairly unverified story, but ok..

The bit about the BBC intrigued me. You seemed to be stating fairly categorically that the bbc refused it. Wheres that bit?
TBF i would understand the BBC not broadcasting a dodgy video. This may be the case, it may not be. but i didnt see anything
about the BBC on that?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Have we signed up to our quota yet?

why should we sign up to a quota imposed by Germany because they want to break the rules everyone agreed to on how the matter of refugees, asylum seekers and migrants should be handled? if they want to accept more, they are welcome to do as they see fit. our policy is to pay for aid at the source of refugees, i dont see us asking them to meet a spending quota.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
why should we sign up to a quota imposed by Germany because they want to break the rules everyone agreed to on how the matter of refugees, asylum seekers and migrants should be handled? if they want to accept more, they are welcome to do as they see fit. our policy is to pay for aid at the source of refugees, i dont see us asking them to meet a spending quota.

Corbyn will accept a big qouta

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Have you listened to the video yet?

https://youtu.be/QZUuoaq1MLM

I did. It does appear appear bad,, she mentioned his teeth, but I still doubt he tried to get his entire family to Europe for the simple reason of getting some dentures. Its taking a families lives down to an extremely basic level if anybody believes that. He wanted better life for his family, I dont think his teeth was the main thing on his mind. There will be plenty pulling fast ones, but not as many people who are genuinly fleeing for their lives. Sadly, stories like this get huge coverage, and diminish any concern for the thousands of genuine cases.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Well, if you meant my news, Dave, then I'm sorry, but I don't think any of them comes from a "far right website".

Of course, I agree that we need to help the refugees... in principle. However, and speaking as an ardent pro-refugee-accepting person myself, I need to point out that in a situation when 80% of the people flooding Europe these days do not even have basic documents, it is impossible to say who is a genuine refugee and who is an economic migrant, or even worse--an ISIS operative.

In such situation caution would be advised, and no premature decisions should be made as to the problem in question.

No not you mate.
ISIS are already in Europe.

I think its a massive human tragedy, rather than some peoples views on it. We should be doing something,and not leaving some of the poorer
European countries to deal with it all.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Corbyn will accept a big qouta

i wouldnt be so sure that Corbyn would accept EU dictated quotas. but as a opposition leader in waiting, he cant do anything for another 4.7 years at least. but nice way to ignore the point that this is Germany trying to tell the rest of Europe what they should do because they want to do something.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Hm ok .. Its a fairly unverified story, but ok..

The bit about the BBC intrigued me. You seemed to be stating fairly categorically that the bbc refused it. Wheres that bit?
TBF i would understand the BBC not broadcasting a dodgy video. This may be the case, it may not be. but i didnt see anything
about the BBC on that?

The bit about the BBC was not in that bit of information, i do agree that the BBC would not broadcast it if they were not sure.
My post was slated, not by you by the way, and got turned around as if i was dismissing the child's death. I had already stated that it was very sad and perhaps unnecessary, but after seeing the doctored photos, then realising that the family had lived in the safe area of Turkey for 3 years and the trip in the dingy was not essential like many refugees that are escaping Syria, i actually felt very sad for the deaths of the family. This is why i feel that Camerons stance on taking the refugees from camps near the Syrian border is a very good idea.
Sadly this case has not really helped the cause of the genuine refugees, and seeing as many migrants are trying to get out of Denmark, demanding to go to Sweden because they would have to seek asylum in Denmark and are mostly economic migrants, then really to take in the refugees from near the Syrian border seems the correct way.
I still go with the controlled figures tho and not masses as Germany seem to be trying to put the guilt trip on us to take what they want us to take.
Hopefully i and others will be wrong about how many terrorists are among them.....we'll see.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Christ everyone calm the f*** down, you're worrying about things that haven't even happened, we're not gonna get over run with terrorists so let's just chill the f*** out and get wasted on Saturday!!!

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I think its a massive human tragedy, rather than some peoples views on it. We should be doing something,and not leaving some of the poorer
European countries to deal with it all.

The poorer European countries must surely be glad of a huge influx of people.

Ive seen constant references from people that mass migration brings in more tax revenue than is spent on benefits.

Surely these poor European countries have nothing to complain about,.........take large amounts of people in,make large amounts of dosh........simples!

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I now understand that, but it begs the question how more develop countries cannot train the required number of nurses.

I am not sure if their employment drives down UK trained nurses wages, but I cannot see any obvious advantage (well I can actually) to the UK for cultivating an environment where we continually under train certain sectors of our NHS.
could it be that not enough young people want to be nurses ...?

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
could it be that not enough young people want to be nurses ...?

Nail on head. Lived with a trainee nurse and the amount of people on her course who dropped out after the first year was crazy, due to the crazy hours and poor treatment. Quite frankly whilst many people who train to be nurses genuinely want to do it to help people when the reality kicks in on how hard they have to work for such little monetary reward many turn away - and who can blame them to be honest.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Nail on head. Lived with a trainee nurse and the amount of people on her course who dropped out after the first year was crazy, due to the crazy hours and poor treatment. Quite frankly whilst many people who train to be nurses genuinely want to do it to help people when the reality kicks in on how hard they have to work for such little monetary reward many turn away - and who can blame them to be honest.

This. The pay nurses get is a total insult.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
This. The pay nurses get is a total insult.
Why do you say that? 16k upwards whilst training, with a minimum of 23k once qualified, sounds reasonable on the face of it. If you don't like the prospect of piss, sh1t and blood, don't choose nursing for God's sake.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here