Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why isn't the message getting through, driving whilst using a mobile phone is dangerous

• Thread starter Deleted member 22389
  • Start date

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
True but even so, I don't think using a phone makes a good driver a bad one, nor does not using a phone make a bad driver a good one. I think it makes little difference. It's a small risk factor, comparable to having kids in the back, listening to loud music or carrying an irritating passenger.

But using a phone is a perfect illustration of bad driving, a good driver wouldn't use a phone.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Speeding is just as bad as mobile phone use. And it means my missus will be out of a job so no thanks.

As they are as bad as each other, can we just split the resources 50/50, whereas now it is about 97/3?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think for a lot of drivers there is an arrogance that overcomes them when they get behind the wheel of a car. They believe they are a better and more important driver - better than average, better (and more important) than everyone else and especially better than they actually are.

They think their reflexes are better than standard, that they are more in control, that they are more able to multi-task, that they will be able to respond to someone else's foolish driving and avoid accidents. It's why they believe they can concentrate on a conversation while driving one-handed, why they believe the speed limit shouldn't apply to them, it's why they don't let other cars into busy lanes of traffic, why they pull out and force other road users to let them join traffic while blocking other lanes of traffic.

It's why they aren't scared by TV campaigns, or true events, or study after study showing the dangers - "None of those drivers are as good as me!"

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
The first thing I do when I get in my car is switch my phone off. No calls are that important. If they were I'd have a chauffeur

While I understand the concept of your post, I certainly can't agree with it, yes it may work for you and many others, but my job relies on me using the phone all day long, so sadly I have to have mine on as I am in the vehicle about 5 hours of the day and my phone is going constantly, but as I have already stated I do have a very good hands free installed (for what it's worth I have learnt to put my concentration on the road and not on the call) many jobs rely on mobile phones, I can't be bothered to name them all.

Technology is here, like it or lump it, if everyone uses all the safest methods then it should be ok I guess, we can't go back to the "Heartbeat" days sadly.

I also have seen people on bikes using mobile phones, where we live it is a popular cyclist route, many use there phones and I have seen the odd one texting, utter madness!

EDIT: I am in my vehicle alot, I had better add I am stationary for a fair amount of that time as well, not always driving.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I bang on the windows of people using phones in car. The amount of people around my way that are texting when on the phone is unbelievable. Mainly posh, middle aged women. You never see the Babylons round here so they have free reign. Women texting, builders talking on the phone is how it seems to break down.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
I bang on the windows of people using phones in car. The amount of people around my way that are texting when on the phone is unbelievable. Mainly posh, middle aged women. You never see the Babylons round here so they have free reign. Women texting, builders talking on the phone is how it seems to break down.

When you bang on the drivers windows, are you on a bike, walking or what?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Cyclists are very good at that too. But that's another thread...

Are they? Genuine question as I've never seen it, but see motorists do it every day, and just wanted to check this isn't another example of taking every opportunity to pump the anti cycling bandwagon.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Because they're arrogant, moronic ***** who care about absolutely no one except themselves , exactly the same category
as drink drivers just as bad.
DD's and Phone users while driving should now receive a £1000 fine and 8 pts on your licence for a first offence.
2nd offence £5000 fine and 3 year ban
3rd £10,000 fine banned for 7 years and jailed for 2 years
4th £50,000 fine Jailed 5 years lifetime ban from driving.
That would stop the wastes of ****ing space

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013
When I am out cycling and spot a driver using a phone- if I manage to pull up alongside them in a queue I always make out there is a police car a few cars behind them. They thank me profusely and stop using the phone. Everyone's a winner - no harsh words or road rage.
Don't tell anyone my little trick[emoji6][emoji7][emoji1][emoji6]

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
There is a police line you can use to report mobile motorists. Sadly that's also open to abuse.

My son had an incident where somebody tried to overtake him then tailgated, plus they were on their phone. He pulled over to have a word, two days later he had a letter from the OB stating HE had been reported as using the phone whilst driving! Anonymous repoting, of course.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I don't think using a phone in the car is very serious (I have hands free anyway but when the legislation first came in I would use my phone). It's not illegal in most countries! Also, the research that led to it being outlawed here was flawed. Drivers were asked to solve riddles on the phone while their driving was assessed in a simulator. This is far from the more usual case where a driver is just calling the mrs to says they'll be late home from work and in a real vehicle you are more aware of what's going on and will end a call if traffic situation requires a high level of concentration.

Undoubtedly one of the most stupid posts I've read on NSC.

Misses the point on so many levels.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
How do you change gear, steer round a corner, perform an emergency stop because there is a cyclist in the way, and hold a phone to your ear for that ever so important conversation about what to have for tea tonight- all at the same time?

I haven't got enough arms.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here