Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] LoyaltyPointGate - discussion with the club

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Well we await confirmation of any adjustments from the club, as in this case the loyalty scheme has failed and wasn't fit for purpose.

The scheme is perfectly fit for purpose... the decision taken on how many points to award when ticket prices were so low was naive. That is easily resolved in future.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
So based on that not a problem. The match has gone and the club won't offer loyalty points in a similar situation again so why are people still moaning and suggesting new schemes!!!!

I'm not moaning and not suggesting a new scheme.

But, I support others in thinking there are still tweaks required for example a game like West Ham that barely got out of the 267+ threshold, and was sold out the morning of the 237+ threshold being such a high demand game, does not require the awarding of loyalty points, or certainly not 10. Those on 237+ deserved their tickets for their loyalty, but extending that a further 10 points for a game most would want to go to seems disproportionate given they are the only ones who can get to go.

When the points were given and you went to Rotherham, we didn't sell out, and your loyalty to the side was well rewarded. West Ham away, when we could probably sell out 3x our allocation does not need rewarding for that same loyalty. To some degree it should be based on demand.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Is it really going to piss people off if the club offer fewer points for cheap tickets in future? That seems to me to be all that is necessary.

If that's all the club do, it will piss off those who think Bournemouth LP harvesters should be punished in some way. If they do punish them, others will complain that "the T&Cs have a sentence which says the points are allocated on purchase, and anyway, what about Barnet?"

I'm not disagreeing with you about your proposed solution for future games, but there are aspects of what has already happened that, whatever the club do (or don't do) about them will cause angst.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
If that's all the club do, it will piss off those who think Bournemouth LP harvesters should be punished in some way. If they do punish them, others will complain that "the T&Cs have a sentence which says the points are allocated on purchase, and anyway, what about Barnet?"

I'm not disagreeing with you about your proposed solution for future games, but there are aspects of what has already happened that, whatever the club do (or don't do) about them will cause angst.

The club had it entirely within their power to prevent this happening... the fact that they didn't see it coming is pretty feeble considering how many hundreds (AFCB) or thousands (Barnet) of simple fans spotted it immediately. They just need to admit it was a mistake on their part, say that they will avoid it in future where possible and move on.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea

I don't think so. A few people of got a few points which will soon get lost in the system of things making no real difference and we move on. Such goings-ons will be halted in future so onwards and upwards really. Affects me not, so nobody will be too bothered now that it has been highlighted and rectified to a major extent to prevent repeats.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
The club had it entirely within their power to prevent this happening... the fact that they didn't see it coming is pretty feeble considering how many hundreds (AFCB) or thousands (Barnet) of simple fans spotted it immediately. They just need to admit it was a mistake on their part, say that they will avoid it in future where possible and move on.

Not forgetting it happened, and was widely discussed for the Huddersfield game last season.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
It's a loyalty scheme.

Simple solution. Reward those loyal to the club.

Those who have held season tickets the longest, go in the top category. The club must know who purchases away tickets, so offer them first to those who have had season tickets the longest, and the following bands in line with time season ticket has been held.

So all those who had season tickets since Withdean, go in the top band. The lowest band will be new season ticket holders.

Paul Barber in the past has stated we are a business, and away tickets do not bring revenue to the club. So whilst unfortunate, those who just go away, that they will lose out. But those who spend their money at the Albion will have have a better chance.

Because as Bournemouth has proved the current system is unfair. People in the top ban, can buy tickets, and then just sell them on. So anyone outside the top band, is unlikely ever going to have enough points to go away.

scotjem

Oct 25, 2003
Glasgow
Apologies - haven't read the whole thread. (Has anyone?)

Why don't they just delay adding any new loyalty points to our accounts - by a few months or even till the end of the season.

Loyalty should be a long term thing. We should be rewarding fans who have been following the club for years - not just this season.

I also guess the JCLs would think twice about buying tickets just for the benefit of the points - if they knew we might be back in the Championship before they could use them.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Apologies - haven't read the whole thread. (Has anyone?)

Why don't they just delay adding any new loyalty points to our accounts - by a few months or even till the end of the season.

Loyalty should be a long term thing. We should be rewarding fans who have been following the club for years - not just this season.

I also guess the JCLs would think twice about buying tickets just for the benefit of the points - if they knew we might be back in the Championship before they could use them.

It has been raised before in this thread, and is a decent idea, imo. However, it has a big weakness in the eyes of some: there is literally zero opportunity for anyone to move tier this season. Some are hoping that they might get tickets for lesser away games and that the incremental LP the get will make it just possible for them to move up a tier and thus get tix for the glamour ties.

(Yes, btw...)

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
The genuine lack of understanding of particularly obvious things on occasions but the club is quite unsettling. Surely most people saw this coming?

From what [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]'s written I think you're doing the club a disservice here. They saw the possibility of the abuse happening, but chose to trust the fans to do the right thing and not abuse it to the scale that it was abused.

I think the club should be praised for placing trust in the fans, and the fans who took advantage should feel very ashamed of themselves. The only thing those fans have achieved is to erode the trust the club had shown, and that can only be detrimental to how the club treats all fans into the future.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
From what [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]'s written I think you're doing the club a disservice here. They saw the possibility of the abuse happening, but chose to trust the fans to do the right thing and not abuse it to the scale that it was abused.

I think the club should be praised for placing trust in the fans, and the fans who took advantage should feel very ashamed of themselves. The only thing those fans have achieved is to erode the trust the club had shown, and that can only be detrimental to how the club treats all fans into the future.

Seems naive in the extreme if they saw it as a possibility and still went ahead. :nono:

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004

The club isn't exactly well know for its ability to trust fans. Just look at the over the top reaction on seat changes or passing of tickets between friends and families.

The club has been incredibly naive. Simple as that really.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
The club has been incredibly naive. Simple as that really.

Seems naive in the extreme if they saw it as a possibility and still went ahead. :nono:

Naive and, given we know just how much the club read NSC, failing to heed clear and loud voices on here predicting exactly what would happen, starting with Huddersfield last season, growing at Barnet, and a deafening roar in advance of the Bournemouth cup game. Oh, and unprofessional, allowing two contradictory clauses about what fans have to do to accrue LP to appear in the T&Cs. Basic stuff, really.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Agreed. We discussed it on here, and I think many of us could see a few folk doing it - I'm not sure anyone foresaw the scale of the harvesting that took place.

Seems a strange reaction from you who, I recall, was saying before the game this was likely to be a non-issue (or similar).

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Agreed. We discussed it on here, and I think many of us could see a few folk doing it - I'm not sure anyone foresaw the scale of the harvesting that took place.

Seems a strange reaction from you who, I recall, was saying before the game this was likely to be a non-issue (or similar).

The fact it happened was no surprise to anyone... the scale did surprise me for AFCB, as I thought most/many in the top band, who had the best chance of getting a ticket, would actually want to go.

If the club did decide to wield a shitty-stick in response, it would appear to be some the 'most loyal' (by their own measurement of loyalty) that would be impacted.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I don't buy this. If you bought a ticket for Barnet and didn't turn up and those 15 points were the difference between you having 255 points and 270 points then you would have been entitled to buy tickets for West Ham and Arsenal in the last few weeks as a direct result. And if you had gone ahead and bought those tickets you didn't really deserve, you would have stopped someone else going to Arsenal and West Ham. I would say that's arguably a greater moral crime than stopping someone seeing the reserves at Bournemouth!

I dont disagree that in both instances its been people playing the system and that it is wrong.

All im saying is that its one thing tk bag extra points that are against the spirit of the scheme. Its a double issue to then deprive others going who may have not only wanted the points but also wanted to attend

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here