Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] monks farm planning

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Burgess Hill is taking its fair number houses (3/4000 ) however infrastructure is included improvement to roads and new cycle routes 3 new schools more playing field,science Park creating jobs etc
New parts to the Town Centre incuding new 10 screen cinema.
Pepole need houses but not in my back garden.
I think it was a shame that TB didn't get his hotel.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I don't know if it's the right decision for Shoreham or lancing, but I'm sure it's the right decision for the club.

They obviously believe that the roundabout will allow traffic to flow better on the A27 and that if they don't build there then someone else would. So why do loads of people think they are wrong? Or is it just the IKEA that is causing the problem?

Been along the A27 much at peak times?

Lancing Manor has a roundabout and that is one of the busiest parts of the route. I’m not opposed to the Ikea development, it’s the increase in housing which in some cases will come with multiple cars.

Anyway decision made.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It’s a bit nimbyish I know but I’m just pleased the long rumoured building of an Ikea opposite Asda on the A259 near Northbrook College and Titnore Lane won’t be happening now

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
It’s a bit nimbyish I know but I’m just pleased the long rumoured building of an Ikea opposite Asda on the A259 near Northbrook College and Titnore Lane won’t be happening now

Wow, hadn’t heard that..... traffic worsening there as well.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Lancing Manor has a roundabout and that is one of the busiest parts of the route. I’m not opposed to the Ikea development, it’s the increase in housing which in some cases will come with multiple cars.

I think the plan includes an alteration to that roundabout too.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Perhaps they might be inspired to seek alternative arrangements instead of habitually sitting in their unmoving box staring vacantly at the unmoving box in front.

Some people don’t have an alternative method of transport available. It’s not practical to cycle to and from Crawley (for example) every day, not everyone lives or works near a train station, not everyone is comfortable riding a motorcycle/scooter.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
NIMBYISM. Hmm. Why would somebody not object to a 6/7 storey building being erected 7 metres in front of their house? Where once was sunlight and a river view is now 24 hour shadow and a view of the entrance to an underground car park. That’s not acceptable.

It might not be to the nimby but it obviously has been to the majority. People will always complain when something directly affects them but there are always counter arguments which outweigh those views.

Which is why this has been approved. It will help more people than it pisses off....

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Well, high rises in Shoreham, No. Full stop. But I have no problem with housing projects etc as long as they also create the infrastructure to accommodate the people.
In the next 5 years we have potentially an extra 3 - 4000 people moving in. We have one small NHS clinic and a closing Southlands hospital. Doesn’t take a genius to work out that won’t work.
And why should the people that have now had all the light and the view obliterated form their houses by a 6 storey block of flats suffer? Totally unsuitable area for such tall buildings.
There are ways of building housing in these areas that don’t involve ruining the existing area. The rope tackle developments for example, very well designed into the local area. It’s greedy developers who want to cram as many luxury flats into an area as possible.

ok, so we should call on the council to make provision of services and infrastructure a condition of planning, not outright object. if we dont want to build in greenfields, we have to accept some vertical building. I dont know why 6 story is objectionable, or why people value views over places to live in proximity to town centres where access to transport, services, amenities is better.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009

I live in Hove and work in henfield so i don't get effected but I see the ques everyday. I really dislike the lancing roundabout but that is because when i use it, it is to go to North lancing to see my sister. I don't think i go at peak times but when i use it, it seem ok from the A27 part its trying to cross over the A27 which I find difficult.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Burgess Hill is taking its fair number houses (3/4000 ) however infrastructure is included improvement to roads and new cycle routes 3 new schools more playing field,science Park creating jobs etc

this ideal way of doing development, large enough scale to bring infrastructure with it.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

Wow, hadn’t heard that..... traffic worsening there as well.

That section is horrible, at most times of the day. I know there's no Ikea, but there's been plenty of commercial development along the A259 with Asda, Sainsburys, Aldi / Next / Tapi Carpets, and various car showrooms along there. But the road is still shit.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
if not Lancing or Shoreham, if no high rises, where do you suggest we house people?

With all the Europeans being sent back, we won't need new housing.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

Bloody hell, how big is your back garden?

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
NIMBYISM. Hmm. Why would somebody not object to a 6/7 storey building being erected 7 metres in front of their house? Where once was sunlight and a river view is now 24 hour shadow and a view of the entrance to an underground car park. That’s not acceptable.

NIMBYISM - In all likelihood, a deliberately pejorative word created by developers to quieten resistance to their plans. I agree with Zac Goldsmith on very very little but he wrote very eloquently (meaning I agreed with him!) about the subject and referred to NIMBYS as the 'breaks on excess', as every good democracy would need, and 'defenders of our backyards'. Without NIMBYS, the country would be a poorer place, IMO.

It intrigues me that there isn't an expression for a 'reverse NIMBY' - and I say this who now spends most of their time away from the area - Those who maybe happen to like IKEA's tat and live a few miles away, GREAT! I don't have to go to Croydon to buy my wobbly furniture, I only need to got Lancing, the locals are NIMBYS who can go ***k themselves anyway! We had several years spending many hours on the road visiting our sick and expiring mothers in Swansea and Derbyshire, finding the right time to break through the Shoreham/Lancing gridlock was basically impossible, it doesn't make me smile thinking of it getting worse and worse....

By way of an example, where my new abode lies is in fast let low flying training area - For context, we live in a 'parish' area that would be the size of Peacehaven to Worthing east/west and as far north as Burgess Hill, the population is approximately 600, it's rural - There are quite a lot of visitors who come and spend the entire day on some of the mountains photographing the jets. When the local (Plaid) MP suggested and launched a consultancy, having received many low flying complaints over the years, she and the various locals who are upset by the disturbance were subjected to a tirade of abuse and accusations of NIMBYISM by people that, on the whole, lived > 100 miles away. I happen to enjoy seeing the planes and only about 10% of them come directly in front of my house but I entirely support people's right to be upset and to complain about something that is happening in their locale.

Anyway, I digress, in short, support your cause and if your cause is IKEA so be it - But don't dismiss local opinion as NIMBYISM because it really matters, you never know, one day it really could be in your back yard - It won't be in mine, by the way. Right, I need some Rajtan spice jars, any ideas?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Some people don’t have an alternative method of transport available. It’s not practical to cycle to and from Crawley (for example) every day, not everyone lives or works near a train station, not everyone is comfortable riding a motorcycle/scooter.
But plenty of people do.

Not everyone has to take 2 mile journeys by car, not everyone has to drive their children to school, not everyone has to start work at the same time, not everyone has to sit in traffic behind a bus for almost the entirety of their journey.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That section is horrible, at most times of the day. I know there's no Ikea, but there's been plenty of commercial development along the A259 with Asda, Sainsburys, Aldi / Next / Tapi Carpets, and various car showrooms along there. But the road is still shit.

The road is shit because of the new housing developments in Littlehampton, Lyminster and Angmering.

Just 3 or 4 years ago used to ride 10 mile TT on Tuesday lunchtimes, from The Body Shop to Centurion House and back, because the road was straight, flat and quiet.
Even on a Tuesday lunchtime it's now just straight and flat.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Assuming you are talking about yourself in the third person, just out of interest when you bought your house did you think:-

- Oh it's lovely esp with that massive area of grassland right on our doorstep.
or
- Oh it's lovely but at some point something is going to get built there, I wonder what?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
if not Lancing or Shoreham, if no high rises, where do you suggest we house people?

The UK's population in 1997 was 58 million, now it's 67 million, and projected to reach 70 million.

The genie was let out of the bottle with an effective open doors borders policy. I voted remain and recognise that most of those who came to the UK have worked hard.

But the number of new homes units built has been pitiful, compared to the numbers needed. Despite the wishes of opponents, each local authority has to take a fair share of the huge numbers needed. Selfishly trying to push the problem elsewhere by proposing that Mid Sussex or anyone other than Adur to Brighton, doesn't give the numbers. I know through work contacts that opponents also relentlessly fight brownfield development proposals in Brighton, Hove and Lewes, which are simply for houses (not multi story blocks of apartments).

Regarding infrastructure, we've never a joined-up thinking strategic overview for transport and roads. All the way back to the 70's, possibly before, houses are built and traffic gets worse.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here